android
Old 12-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Problem with Photo Transfer

I searched the forum, but have not seen this problem before. I hope someone can help me.

I have tried several ways of transferring photos to my Zen Vision:M 30 GB. I've used Zen Explorer, Creative MediaSource Organizer, WMP11, and also Windows Explorer drag-and-drop. I get the same problem each time.

The problem is, when I go to Photos, it says there are no pictures in the folder. However, under System Information, it shows the correct number of pictures on the player. I thought maybe it went to the designated extra storage, and I couldn't access it, so I disabled the storage feature. The photos still show up under information, but I cannot access them.

Has this happened to anyone else? I just got back from a great vacation and am itching to show off my pictures, but can't get past this hurdle.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Liz

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmmm... That's a new one...

Are you sure the photos are .jpg files? I mean, I'm sure they are, but I just want to knock away any obvious causes before we start pulling our hair out (as it sounds like this problem is going to make me do)

Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM

They are jpg format. Believe me, I'm nearly bald already over this.

Also, I live in Hungary and bought my Zen on eBay, so taking it back is not really an option. I've had it since April.

I should tell you I had some pictures in it before, and one day they just "disappeared". They were also showing up in System Information, but only accessible under "Recently browsed photos" and later not at all. I thought it was weird, but didn't think much of it until trying to transfer these photos.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 12-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

*cringes*

Okay, here's what you're going to need to do: First, make absolutely sure there is nothing on the player you don't have backed up on your computer or that you don't mind losing! Next, boot the player into Recovery Mode (see the FAQ subforum for instructions) and choose the "Disk Cleanup" option. Reboot.

One of three things may happen: Either all of your "missing" pictures will rematerialize, or the pictures count in Information will clear to zero (in either case, try syncing some more pictures to make sure they appear correctly), or you will lose so many files due to database corruption that you'd be far better off reformatting your player and resyncing everything.

Let me know what happens.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Okay, I ran the disk cleanup and rebooted, however none of the 3 options happened. It still shows 1223 photos under System Information, but no pictures in the Photos folder. *sigh*

Also, I don't think I lost any files, from what I could tell.

My camera stores everything in folders by date, and I transferred them folders and all. I thought maybe that had something to do with it, but then I transferred one single picture, and that didn't show up either.

It's my first digital camera, so I thought maybe my inexperience in that department has something to do with it? Maybe it is something obvious (to others) *hopeful*

Liz

Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, you say you have WMP11, so I hope this works...

First of all, if you also have any of the Creative software installed, I suggest either removing it all, or installing the update patch for Media Explorer (#5 on this list). Note: If you are running Vista, then definitely get rid of the Creative software - it doesn't work well under Vista.

Now, plug in your player to your computer, go to "My Computer" ("Computer" if Vista) and scroll down until you find your player (look for the icon that has whatever you named your player, not "Creative Zen Vision:M Media Explorer". Navigate to "Storage Media", then "Pictures". Do you see any of your pictures in there?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 PM

Okay, I installed the patch, and the pictures are listed under Storage Media/Pictures. (They were listed there before, too.)

I'm running Windows XP for the record.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And the pics still aren't showing from within the player?

Let's try an experiment. Copy the below image and paste it into your player, and see if it shows up:

Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Didn't work -- I tried several ways, and each time it added one more picture under System Information, but says there are no pictures in the folder when I go to Photos.

Love that background pic, btw!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, if this isn't the bugger of all weird problems...

It really sounds like the player's database is trashed, and I believe a complete reformat and a firmware reload (both from the player's Recovery Mode menu - do not trust PC-based reformat) are required to fix this.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Okay, here goes...

(my turn to cringe)

I'll let you know what happens.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Done!
The first thing I did afterward was copy a single picture, and it worked beautifully. Now the fun part of reloading everything.

I lost some stuff (my computer doesn't have enough storage space) but it's a small price to pay.

Thanks for all your help!
Liz

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithwiz View Post
Love that background pic, btw!
Thanks! I got it off of DeviantArt, and modified it for use on the ZVM. Here's the plain backdrop if you want it:

Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithwiz View Post
Done!
The first thing I did afterward was copy a single picture, and it worked beautifully. Now the fun part of reloading everything.

I lost some stuff (my computer doesn't have enough storage space) but it's a small price to pay.

Thanks for all your help!
Liz

I'm glad it worked! I was about to become really worried if it didn't!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post

I'm glad it worked! I was about to become really worried if it didn't!
Me too! I was already mentally shopping for a new one. Definitely glad I'm not going down that road.

One question...when I reloaded the firmware from the Creative website, it only allowed me to update European firmware, but I bought the Zen from the States. Is this going to cause problems or make a difference? Should I reload American firmware? Sorry if this is already answered elsewhere.

And thanks for the picture! Now that I can actually use it, it will look really nice on my black Zen.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to get it from http://us.creative.com. Yes, the EU firmware will affect your player, as the EU version imposes a significant volume limitation not present in the US firmware. But, before you try to reload again, verify that you do indeed have the EU firmware by going to Main Menu --> System --> Information and checking the firmware version. If it does not end with an "e" (as in, 1.62.02e), then you're fine. Otherwise you will need to download the US version and reload it through Recovery Mode. Simply overwriting the existing firmware by simply plugging in the player and executing the firmware updater will not change the firmware's region.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
If it does not end with an "e" (as in, 1.62.02e), then you're fine.
There's no 'e'. Yay, thanks! Off to work I go, with a big grin on my face.
Thanks again for your help. Have a great day (tomorrow, I guess for you.)

Liz