android
Old 11-22-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Freezes on Rebuilding Screen

Okay, so I've had my Zen Vision: M for almost a year now with only very few minor problems. But as of recently I've been having a MAJOR problem. It froze, so I inserted a paper clip into the reset button. So it goes to the "Rebuilding..." screen, and I wait. It gets about 7/8 of the way there, and stops. The HD makes an odd clicking sound, and the player heats up a lot. the first time this happened, I hit the reset button again, and it did the same thing. Tried again, and it slowly got past the "Rebuilding..." screen, but, my battery died. So I charge it, unplug it and it goes back to the "Rebuilding..." screen, and does the exact same thing. I've also tried going into the Recovery mode and I've tried all the options there to no avail. Is it broken, or is there a simple fix for this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2007, 10:54 AM

sounds like your hd’s gone or is going bad.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 AM

I think it just died. It won't turn on or charge. The light at the top flashes when I plug it in, but nothing else happens.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The flashing light tells you that it's charging. Let it charge. Depending on how drained the battery is, it can take several hours before your player shows any meaningful signs of life.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl34ch View Post
Okay, so I've had my Zen Vision: M for almost a year now with only very few minor problems. But as of recently I've been having a MAJOR problem. It froze, so I inserted a paper clip into the reset button. So it goes to the "Rebuilding..." screen, and I wait. It gets about 7/8 of the way there, and stops. The HD makes an odd clicking sound, and the player heats up a lot. the first time this happened, I hit the reset button again, and it did the same thing. Tried again, and it slowly got past the "Rebuilding..." screen, but, my battery died. So I charge it, unplug it and it goes back to the "Rebuilding..." screen, and does the exact same thing. I've also tried going into the Recovery mode and I've tried all the options there to no avail. Is it broken, or is there a simple fix for this?
Ok, you said you tried all the options in the Recovery mode. Do you remember what happened when you tried the format option? Did it get all the way through, or come up with "harddisk problem" message?

The overheating sounds like either a battery short or a motherboard short. You'll need to open up your Zen and touch the motherboard and the battery while your Zen is connected to a wall charger. See which one, or both, overheats. Whichever one is overheating will need to be replaced.

However, if your hard drive is bad too, dump the whole thing and get another one.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 AM

ok, I was able to get it to get all the way through when i hooked it up to my wall charger. After that I was able to turn it on and off without having to go to the Rebuilding screen. However, it left all my picture and video folders, and says that there are items still in there, but there's nothing in the folders when I try to view them. I tried viewing them from my computer, but it went straight to the rebuilding screen when I plugged it in.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe the filesystem got corrupted. Have you tried backing up the tracks in your player and formatting it through the Recovery Mode?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Maybe the filesystem got corrupted. Have you tried backing up the tracks in your player and formatting it through the Recovery Mode?
Maybe, I'll have to try that, I already have most of it backed up, but my computer won't detect the player. It says its docked, and I hear the noise, but it won't open up.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM

mine does the same thing. Whenever I turn my zen on, it rebuilds and freezes like 5/10 through. It eventually starts after like 20 seconds of waiting. Does anyone know why?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Three possible causes:
  1. Corrupt files or filesystem: Boot to Recovery Mode and run Disk Cleanup. Be prepared to lose files found to be corrupt.
  2. Corrupt firmware: Reinstall firmware.
  3. Failing hard drive: Contact Creative for RMA.