android
Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Does Pilot support replay gain?

Does Pilot support replay gain? Track and/or album?

Do any players for that matter? I never see it mentioned in feature lists or reviews.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2007, 01:15 AM

A couple have sound leveling. Most notably the Zen Vision M:

MP3Gain could adjust the actual gain of the files for you and you wouldn't have to ever worry about it on any player PC or portable. It does statistical analysis for perceived loudness and not just simple peak normalization. It's digital, so, not lossy, and has a tags feature that eliminates re-analysis and provides for undo.

I like to turn on the Maximization features and do Max Noclip Gain on audiobooks, so I can keep the volume low and save battery life.

HTH

Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM

No, but it's a feature request in the pinned thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out mp3gain. I'd heard of it but thought it was just a replay gain calculator, I didn't realize it actually altered the audio data.

I hope ReplayGain support is added to the Pilot. Seems like such a simple and useful feature to implement. I don't know why more players don't have it.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM

I can't recall how long I have used MP3Gain, but it's fantastic. I use it for CDs in my car and across any/all music players I've owned. You also don't need to use any kind of leveling in your library software as they will come out they same.

MP3Gain can do per track and per album leveling. So, I typically use 94db for my tracks, and each track will be centered near that. But, when working with orchestral music (or when the album has an entire theme with varying sound levels as part of it) I will use album gain to keep the same flow, but the loudest portion of the loudest track won't be obnoxious when compared to other tracks.

You can also get an updated executable that works with MP3 and AAC files. I was using AAC files, until I got this and had to go back to MP3 due to lack of support (hint, hint). With either format, you can always dump the settings or change them and not affect the actual encoding of the file, so it isn't permanent by any means but it is enforced across all software and devices that can understand and play them.