android
Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Bluetooth earbud and headphone questions

I currently own an NS-DV but I'm upgrading and my two decisions are either the Pilot or the Sansa View. I really like the idea of using bluetooth but I don't like headphones and I haven't really found any Bluetooth earbuds, so, my questions.

1.Are there any decent Bluetooth earbuds out there?

2.If I get Bluetooth headphones that can work with a phone, will I be able to have them connected to both my Pilot and my phone at the same time?

3. A lot of the bluetooth headphones I see have a 3.5mm jack adapter for broadcasting the bluetooth but do I have to use that or can I skip it and use the Pilot's Bluetooth?

4. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry with Bluetooth calling but can I use it to hook up my Pilot too? (I'm guessing not but that would be cool)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Sony Ericsson makes stereo bluetooth earbuds, but they have a wires to a dongle thing that hangs around your neck called a HBH-DS970. I have a pair of these and I like them a lot except that they still do have those wires. I would say the sound quality is pretty good. There is also the Motorola S9, it is just a band that goes around the back of your head and has earbuds.

I am not sure about most bluetooth headphones, but I know these two sets will let you connect a phone and another bluetooth stereo source like the Pilot or a computer.

I don't have any experience with headphones that come with a dongle, so I don't know.

The stereo bluetooth won't work with regular handsfree devices, so it won't work in your Camry. You can get a stereo bluetooth kit for your car like the Parrot MK6100 that let you play stereo bluetooth through your car stereo and connect a phone. I have this in my car and it works great with the Pilot.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkieTamer View Post
2.If I get Bluetooth headphones that can work with a phone, will I be able to have them connected to both my Pilot and my phone at the same time?

3. A lot of the bluetooth headphones I see have a 3.5mm jack adapter for broadcasting the bluetooth but do I have to use that or can I skip it and use the Pilot's Bluetooth?
I can answer two of your questions - don't know about #1 and #4.

2. I bought the insignia bluetooth headphones and am able to use them with both the Pilot and my cell phone. Basically, I'm connected to the Pilot and listening to music (bluetooth activated on Pilot and phone), and then when the phone rings or I press a button on the phone, it switches over to phone connection. When the call ends, it switches back over to the Pilot. I think I have to hit "play" on the headphones to re-start the music, but I really don't remember.

3. I am able to use the insignia headphones directly with the Pilot and phone, sans adapter. The headphones didn't come with an adapter and you don't need it for the Pilot anyway. I think the adapter is for when the product doesn't have bluetooth internally, but am not certain. So if your laptop isn't bluetooth enabled you could use the adapter to listen to the headphones on your laptop or something, as I understand it.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm leaning towards that Motorola S9. My only problem is how small can I make it? I'll need to be able to fold it up somehow and get it into my pocket when I'm not using it but I'm guessing that's not possible. How else can I carry it around when I'm not using it?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Before you decide, check out the Jabra BT8010 or Plantronics Voyager 855.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejm View Post
2. I bought the insignia bluetooth headphones and am able to use them with both the Pilot and my cell phone. Basically, I'm connected to the Pilot and listening to music (bluetooth activated on Pilot and phone), and then when the phone rings or I press a button on the phone, it switches over to phone connection. When the call ends, it switches back over to the Pilot. I think I have to hit "play" on the headphones to re-start the music, but I really don't remember.
I also have Insignia's bluetooth headphones. To lejm's post, I'd add that the headphones communicate a "pause" to the Pilot when the phone rings -- great if your phone is set to ring on low volume. You do have to hit "play" to restart the music.

A few things I don't like about these headphones:
  • They're kinda heavy. (Though my ears aren't very big for holding them up)
  • They "fight" with the earpieces on my glasses and sunglasses -- makes them quite uncomfortable to wear except when I'm inside and wearing contact lenses.
  • I have a small head, so they're really loose at the back.
  • They're oddly shaped. I know all headphones are oddly shaped, but these seem especially hard to fit into my bag or backpack without wondering if they might get broken.
But at $60 + tax, you can't beat the price with any other headphones at any other brick-and-mortar store. Still, the weight and discomfort wearing them with my sunglasses (I walk 15min each way to school at mid-day) have got me thinking about taking them back before my 30 days is up.

I'm seriously looking at the Motorola S9 as well. It's a darn shame that the Plantronics Voyager 855 hasn't been released yet.

Amazon.com has a couple brands of BT headphones that fold, but looks like they're full-sized, over-the-ear types.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM

I got the Motorola S705 from Verizon Wireless. It has cellphone capability but it seems aimed at stereo use. It comes with earbuds but you can use any standard 3.5mm stereo phones. I use my favorite Sony earbuds.

The S705 charges via the same mini-USB as the Pilot. It has a small display and can save several connection profiles. It also comes with an FM radio, a strong removable pocket/belt clip, and a neck strap.

When I use it with a Ten Technology Ipod bluetooth adapter, I can walk over one hundred feet (line of sight) away without losing the connection. It also works over a very long distance with the Pilot and my HP notebook.

However, for actual phone use, I use a Plantronics 855 stereo headset. It has good sound quality and is very compact.

BTW, I tried several other BT headsets including the BT8010 and S9. The BT8010 is very bulky and lacks bass. The S9 does not fold up and is uncomfortable. With the S705, I can use my own headphones, pair up with several BT devices, and charge from any USB charger. And it pairs up with all of my BT devices.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM

I just got myself some bluetooth headphones, Kyocera TXCKT10161. I dunno if I should keep it or sell it... what do you guys think is it worth keeping for the pilot?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkieTamer View Post
I think I'm leaning towards that Motorola S9. My only problem is how small can I make it? I'll need to be able to fold it up somehow and get it into my pocket when I'm not using it but I'm guessing that's not possible. How else can I carry it around when I'm not using it?
You can leave them around the back of your neck. Should be hidden enough and they are light. It seems to be convenient to do so and quick to put back on and take off.

I like the Motorola S9. However, after checking out the Plantronics Voyager 855, I may be leaning a little towards them. I don't really know.... I have heard that the sound quality of the 855 isn't all that great. I would like to hear them for myself before I bought them. If I was to guess, I would say that the Motorola S9 will sound better, but I've never heard the 855 so..... Anyone here heard both? Which is better in the sound quality?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 AM

You know, I would kill for a decent-sounding pair of wireless earbuds/IEMS... Too bad theres nothing really feasible out there yet. I saw some wicked awesome ones a while ago (Very small, literally the size of vanilla buds or less, 4 hours runtime, 30 minute charge with portable case/transmitter), but they were to be released in ~10 months. I cant remember the name though! :S

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Motorola S9

I have the S9 and love them. I ride a motorcyle and being wireless is fantastic.

The only down side is they are not very compact when not in use. When I am out and about and have no place to store them I just leave them hanging around my neck.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Sound quality and functionality of the Motorola S9 headset is great. Echo the issue with respect to compactness but they are rugged and will fit in a coat pocket or cargo pants pocket.