android
Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Samsung Moderator

lol
I'm in close touch with a guy who works by Samsung France and if you knew the reality, you would be so surprised....
I can't say anything because there are internal secrets but all your mails would be useless

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Ok, so do you know the language they use to implement the firmwares? Maybe it's possible to perform some reverse engineering to check why it won't install? I guess it's just a logical test somewhere with the name of the player (T10J and not T10).

Otherwise, maybe it is possible just to search for the arising of the string "T10" in the code of the UMS firmware with some hexadecimal editor?

Even if I'm a computer scientist, I never tried such things; better late than never!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Samsung Moderator

The problem is that I'm rather a student in Business and Economy so what you say is a bit too technic for me lol
(And I'm french so I don't master english)

All I know is that the base is the same than the P2 so there is no reason that a modified config file does not change the player into UMS

Old 12-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fde View Post
Ok, so do you know the language they use to implement the firmwares? Maybe it's possible to perform some reverse engineering to check why it won't install? I guess it's just a logical test somewhere with the name of the player (T10J and not T10).

Otherwise, maybe it is possible just to search for the arising of the string "T10" in the code of the UMS firmware with some hexadecimal editor?

Even if I'm a computer scientist, I never tried such things; better late than never!
I dunno why i didn't think of hex editing. Gonna try a few things later, and Hopefully post my findings tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:15 PM

@lebellium:
I guess that's just because of the name of the player which is different given the protocol used. At first sight, I'd say it just checks if the new software you try to install has the same identifier as the one already installed. And given that the one installed at the very beginning is the MTP one with the "T10J" name, one cannot install the "T10" one.

By the way, I'm also a native French-speaker (from this beautiful maybe-not-for-that-long-anymore-country which is Belgium)! I saw you already posted topics about this on the GMP3 forum. So if you prefer switching to French on GMP3, that's OK for me, but I think we should keep on posting here the new results we get (if we get some - I hope so) to keep in touch with as many people as possible.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM

@shinobi00
Did you try anything? If not, maybe I'll try by myself...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Samsung Moderator

Go check your PM
I can help you giving you config files from every country and firmwares but until now it didn't help

Old 12-22-2007, 06:13 AM

Ok, I tried what I said I would - I changed the "T10" by "T10J" in the ROM and RSC files. By doing this, the player does not complain when I install the firmware, but in the end it is not installed. If you have any other idea...

Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 AM

Hmm Ok I just solved this and it might be better if you guys tried the latest Firmware from Samsung and moving it into your Data directory.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:05 AM

@legend : That's true? You managed to turn your T10 full UMS? When you talk about the latest firmware, which one do you mean? To the best of my knowledge, if it's the European or American one, it doesn't provide the UMS functionality...

Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 AM

I didn't try anything because i've been really busy. basically, i was just going to open the t10 firmware(MTP&UMS) , and compare it to the p2s to see if maybe some things are interchangeable. I'll probably do it during boxing day if no one else does. Shouldn't take that long really.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Hey everyone!
Just found this Thread via google.

<offtopic>
I got a new T10 for x-mas, it looks really nice and has cool features. But my OS of choice is Linux, and theres no way to get this player running under anything else but Windows. I'm really angry by now. I don't run Windows so I can't use my new player...
I really like Samsung and I never had any problems with their products. But why do they only support Windows? Hey and maybe not everyone likes to manage their music-collection via WMP. I know that most users use Windows, but I think it's a stupid policy to totally cut of Mac- and Linux-Users. Sorry, I'm a bit pissed
</offtopic>

I updated to the newest european firmware (1.55 EU), then I tried to use the newest MSC firmware from the US Site. I added a J to the end of the filenames, put it on my portable and ran my device. The firmware-update ran flawless, but after rebooting the device, there is still the EU MTP firmware installed.

I hope we'll find a solution...

Old 12-25-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fde View Post
@legend : That's true? You managed to turn your T10 full UMS? When you talk about the latest firmware, which one do you mean? To the best of my knowledge, if it's the European or American one, it doesn't provide the UMS functionality...
OK I have the 1.55V From here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23762
After you unzip the Files Copy Them into your data folder, but that's only if you have the WMP10 if not copy them into your Root Directory hope that helps.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
OK I have the 1.55V From here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23762
After you unzip the Files Copy Them into your data folder, but that's only if you have the WMP10 if not copy them into your Root Directory hope that helps.
But that is just the MTP version. There is no problem to get this one running. We need the MSC version (UMS)...

Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Then I practically have the same error at the beginning it says Invalid Version: Then it starts to Install itself and thats it so I'm not completely sure if I installed it correctly.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM

I tried different modifications in the files - a bit randomly - but I didn't succeed to do anything good.

I feel a bit disappointed, but I'll keep on trying. I hope some others somewhere (shinobi00 if you read this...) are trying as well...

Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Samsung Moderator

Ok if someone could try that please:

You will need a hexadecimal editor software
(I use CR-Hexact)
You can notice that the 40th offset 0x28 of the T10.ROM file is different according to the firmware:
-"00" for the MTP firmwares
-"01" for the UMS firmwares
-"02" for the Best Buy Rhapsody firmwares

thus:

1. download a UMS firmware
2. edit T10.ROM and change from "01" to "00"
3. change the name of the file from T10.ROM to T10J.ROM and from T10.RSC to T10J.RSC
3. load theses files on a MTP T10 player

Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM

No. It does not work! It shows an upgrade fail message. any other ideas?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Samsung Moderator

It's a great pity...
And that's so strange!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Yeah, that's right... The guy you know at Samsung cannot get the source code of the firmware? That would make things easier

Tags
firmware, msc, t10, ums