android
Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Help SD Slot design

Just got a 4GB pilot yesterday after some mighy high praises read here and around. I'm relatively pleased with my brief time with it (although, in fairness, other than an older windows pda with no playsforsure -- this is my first portable audio device).

One question though: The SD slot doesn't seem 'catch' the card once it's inserted. I have to slide the SD Slot cover in place and let the tension of it hold the card in. Is that normal? Most other devices always 'catch' once the card is pushed in far enough. Seems somewhat flimsy to rely on the SD Slot cover's tension to hold the card in?

If this isn't normal, I'll tryto exchange it -- but wanted to check first.

Gaurhoth

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2007, 10:51 AM

It's broken mate, i would take it back and exchange it for another one

Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurhoth View Post
Just got a 4GB pilot yesterday after some mighy high praises read here and around. I'm relatively pleased with my brief time with it (although, in fairness, other than an older windows pda with no playsforsure -- this is my first portable audio device).

One question though: The SD slot doesn't seem 'catch' the card once it's inserted. I have to slide the SD Slot cover in place and let the tension of it hold the card in. Is that normal? Most other devices always 'catch' once the card is pushed in far enough. Seems somewhat flimsy to rely on the SD Slot cover's tension to hold the card in?

If this isn't normal, I'll tryto exchange it -- but wanted to check first.

Gaurhoth
Before you close the SDHC card slot, press the card down firmly inside with a finger. There's a spring action in the interior where the card should catch, kind of like clicking down the top of a ball-point pen. If you don't feel a spring-like tension pushing the card back out, then your player is broken. It's not the most well-designed card slot, but it works okay.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Indeed. Get someone with a long fingernail to push it in. In fact, I trim my thumbnail a little longer than the rest for things like this. Oh, the sacrifices one has to make in the name of toys...

Old 12-26-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. Turns out I just wasn't pushing it far enough. The slot does seem a good deal deeper than most gadgets I use. Silly me. I guess I'll have to devise a "SD Card Inserter" for my Pilot. Heh.

Gaurhoth

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM

It is one heck of a stiff spring!

"SD Card Inserter" = corner of frequent-shopper card, student ID, credit/debit card, drivers' license, etc.

My digital camera (Cannon) actually has a little widget for this on the wrist strap -- never needed it.