android
Old 12-29-2007, 11:13 PM

Default SD Card Pilot Bug?

I just got a 16 GB ADATA SDHC Card, and I filled it with about 8 GB worth of MP3 music files. When I put it in my Pilot, the Artist, Album, & Song for all songs on the SDHC Card _and_ on my Pilot said "Unknown". I was alittle surprised that it wouldn't just display at least the File names, so I went to the File Browser on the Pilot, and it showed blank entries for every directory/file on the Pilot. This includes a handful of MP3 and AVI Video files stored on my Pilot--it's as if it didn't recognize the filenames anymore.

I tried to see how many MP3 files were on the SDHC Card, but I'm not sure how to count them in Windows. They're all in subdirectories by Artist/Album. I was wondering if this has anything to do with File Limits on the Pilot? I'm pretty sure that I'm well over 2000, but not sure how to confirm.

Anyway, I removed the SDHC Card, and the filenames for MP3/AVI files stored on my Pilot returned.

Has anyone run into this? I tried to browse old topics related to SD Cards and/or File Limits, and I read some speculations that 2000+ files may not work, but was wondering what exactly are the symptoms? I guess in my case, songs & videos play, but you can't really see what the files are, so it's essentially like having an ipod shuffle with no LCD.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Did you do an External Memory Erase and then a Windows Format on your card before transferring the content? I have only seen funky behaviour like this when the format of the card was messed up.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Did you have it in the Pilot when you filled it up? Maybe that has something to do with it. I have been using a Patriot 16gb SDHC for a while now and have not run into any issues with it so far. I have about 13GB of it filled.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Hi Digitaldel: No, I didn't do any formatting on the SDHC Card. I just used it straight from the box when I got it. I checked, and it was already preformatted for FAT32. I used a SanDisk MobileMate SD Plus Memory Card Reader to load the PC files onto the Card. (Just curious, if Windows Format doesn't do the job on these cards, how should you format it if you had to? Is there a different utility?)

Tu154: No, I had my video files already on my Pilot, so this was just a test of my new SDHC Card. With my PC, I just drag & dropped my Directories with MP3 files onto the Card. Then I just put the Card into the Pilot, turned it on, and let it build the Library (which took about 2 mins, but only for this time). That's when I noticed the "Unknown" problems, and eventually took out the Card, and confirmed that my pre-existing Pilot video filenames returned to normal. Then, I put the Card back into the Pilot, (note that it didn't need to rebuild the Library as long as before) and my media filenames went back to "Unknown".

Any other suggestions to try? Are there any length limits on the actual Directory/Filenames? Or problems with Special Chars in the Filenames? I'm wondering if there's anything weird with my particular MP3 filenames.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey, just wanted to follow-up with what fixed my problem. Tu154 was definitely onto something...sorry, it just didn't click with me earlier. But basically, if I put the SDHC Card in the Pilot, connect the Pilot to my PC, and then drag & drop my files onto SDHC drive, I get all my Artist/Album/Song information...not only that, some album covers are displayed too (not that I'm complaining, but how does that happen? :-).

Anyway, I guess the crux of my "Unknown" filename problem is basically not to preload my SDHC Card outside of the Pilot...I was using a SanDisk Memory Card Reader/Writer to load the Card before.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 AM

I had this problem, and after I formatted my pilot, everything worked perfectly

Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Hey, just wanted to follow-up with what fixed my problem. Tu154 was definitely onto something...sorry, it just didn't click with me earlier. But basically, if I put the SDHC Card in the Pilot, connect the Pilot to my PC, and then drag & drop my files onto SDHC drive, I get all my Artist/Album/Song information...not only that, some album covers are displayed too (not that I'm complaining, but how does that happen? :-).

Anyway, I guess the crux of my "Unknown" filename problem is basically not to preload my SDHC Card outside of the Pilot...I was using a SanDisk Memory Card Reader/Writer to load the Card before.
Glad it worked!