android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Machine Starts Up W/Random Song/Different From Song I Was Last On

Hi,

I just purchased a refurbished Creative Zen Vision: M (60GB) for Christmas, and so far I really like it. I just have one question/minor annoyance that I am hoping to find a fix for or information on...

When I turn on my player, it (sometimes) doesn't start up playing the same song I turned it off on. So, if, when I turn it off, it is playing "Unison" by Bjork, it might be playing "To Bring You My Love" by PJ Harvey when I turn it back on. And this only happens SOMETIMES, usually if I leave the player off for several hours. Otherwise, it usually starts up where I left off (but not always). It's not a huge deal, but it can be kind of annoying if I am listening to an album straight through and come back to find that the machine has "fast forwarded" through and is on a new track. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason about it...Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. And if the machine is on "Random Play All," who knows what song it will be on when I turn it on. If I have it set to just play one album, it will be on a song from the album, though not always the one I stopped in.

Is this just how the Zen Vision: M is? I had the Zen Touch for 2 years before this (loved it), and I know that on that machine, whatever song I had on when I turned the machine on was the one that came up again when I turned it back on.

Any help or information is appreciated

Matt

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is, unfortunately, the nature of the ZVM. When you first shut down, the ZVM actually enters a standby mode. All volatile settings, such as current song/current position, last menu accessed, etc., are held. After a few hours, the player shuts down completely, and volatile settings are lost.

Some people have said that if you pause before shutting down, it'll remember the song; this seems to work for me sometimes.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 PM

Ah, thank you...I figured it was something like that, but I wanted to be sure I couldn't somehow fix it. Thanks again

Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have an alaram set on your ZVM, it never shuts down completely so it will always remember the song and position of the right song.

My preferred video/audio converter, DVD ripper: Media Coder

Players I own: Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB, Net MD MZ-S1

Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you have an alaram set on your ZVM, it never shuts down completely so it will always remember the song and position of the right song.
This is a good tip, but be aware that this will eat your battery for lunch.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
This is, unfortunately, the nature of the ZVM. When you first shut down, the ZVM actually enters a standby mode. All volatile settings, such as current song/current position, last menu accessed, etc., are held. After a few hours, the player shuts down completely, and volatile settings are lost.
I'll just say, IME, the "few hours" is usually about 8-10 hours.

I typically listen to podcasts on my way to/from work. I just shut off the ZVM without pausing and when I turn it on again (leaving work or in the morning heading in) it starts up where it left off. Works during the usual M-F work week, I haven't tried it over a weekend

Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Generally I think its more closer to 4-5 hours. Also, Jim, are you listening to your podcasts in Shuffle mode or Normal mode?

My preferred video/audio converter, DVD ripper: Media Coder

Players I own: Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB, Net MD MZ-S1

Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Generally I think its more closer to 4-5 hours. Also, Jim, are you listening to your podcasts in Shuffle mode or Normal mode?
Normal mode, not shuffle.

Don't know what to say, I turn the ZVM off at around 9-9:30AM, turn it back on around 6PM. It always starts where I left off. Same results for the off-at-6:30PM-on-at-9AM cycle. 5 days a week for several months.