android
Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Should I Get This?

Im thinking about getting a View, but im not sure. I have read many reports of people having cases that are not put together properly, and I have heard that the player can freeze up alot. Also, im not sure if I should maybe just get an SD card for my e200 instead. Thank you for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM

My opinion is that the view just came out so it hasn't had much time to get updates and for people to figure out cool hacks/mods. I just got the view a couple days ago and my first impression was that it does have some things wrong with it, but not much. I did buy the dlo case for it and the case is too tight, the clip on the back doesn't come off, and the hole for the power switch is too small. But like i said, in time there will be better firmware versions and better accessories

Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 PM

I've only owned it for a day but I think it's fab. I've not tried video yet but:

* Audio quality is ace
* It has a MicroSD (SDHC compatible) card slot
* You can transfer files using WMP (v10 or v11) or Drag/Drop in MTP or Drag/Drop in MSC (so it will work on any OS)
* Video support works up to 64x0480 in 30fps with a 2000Kbps bitrate, that's high!
* Photos don't need resizing and look very sharp
* It has a really large screen
* It supports Album Art
* Has a decent battery life
* 16Gb (upgradable to 24Gb) in this form factor is incredible

I've not found anything to complain about yet. It is a bit quirky if you drag/drop in MTP mode but I use MSC Drag/Drop and it's fine.

Like I said I've not tried video yet but it's not frozen or locked up on me once.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I got one for Christmas, had it for all of a day, and then returned it for a Zune80...

"Supports album art" but it's smaller than the size of a freaking postage stamp and terrible to look at, it's almost as bad as it was on the e200.

The white text on the "Now Playing" screen sucks to look at.

Player is bigger than it needs to be. Even with the large screen, the player could have been smaller top to bottom, it's def. not a gym going player even though it's flash.

Many people have problems with the two halves not being put together properly...

On the other hand, the Zune has nearly FULL SCREEN album art. It takes up prolly 4/5 of the screen, if not more. The screen is superb. Squircle is great, inaccurate at the start but you get used to it really quickly. Radio w/ RDS is cool as hell. Custom background images. It feels like the perfect size and weight for a hard drive player and seems to be very scratch resistant...

Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Burning_October Welcome to abi >>

If you're already sold on a Sansa, take a serious look at the new e200 V2 series, if not take a look at more serious players like Cowon, or the new Sony. Try looking through the reviews and using the abi compare feature.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-30-2007, 12:47 PM

I bought my Sansa View the day it came out, and it's been nothing but a pleasure to use.

- Greatly Improved Sound/Video Quality (over the E2xx)

- Fantastic Ergonomics

- Outstanding Value

- No Build Quality Issues - What-So-Ever!

I would suggest that you try RockBox on your current E2xx, and see how well you like it.

RockBox is the single best thing that ever happened to the Sansa E2xx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Sansa Family 001.jpg (109.4 KB, 21 views)

Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
I got one for Christmas, had it for all of a day, and then returned it for a Zune80...

"Supports album art" but it's smaller than the size of a freaking postage stamp and terrible to look at, it's almost as bad as it was on the e200.

The white text on the "Now Playing" screen sucks to look at.

Player is bigger than it needs to be. Even with the large screen, the player could have been smaller top to bottom, it's def. not a gym going player even though it's flash.

Many people have problems with the two halves not being put together properly...

On the other hand, the Zune has nearly FULL SCREEN album art. It takes up prolly 4/5 of the screen, if not more. The screen is superb. Squircle is great, inaccurate at the start but you get used to it really quickly. Radio w/ RDS is cool as hell. Custom background images. It feels like the perfect size and weight for a hard drive player and seems to be very scratch resistant...
The zune is equivalent to a brick, and i'm not sure but doesn't it still not have clock? Plus it's way overpriced and made by m$.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_master View Post
The zune is equivalent to a brick, and i'm not sure but doesn't it still not have clock? Plus it's way overpriced and made by m$.
well gee, thanks for your extremely well thought out and justified opinion...

Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_master View Post
I just bought a Zune 30 for $100 brand new. Local stores sell the e260 for more....so I don't see it as overpriced.
The Zune does have an internal clock, as it's needed for the DRM to work; it's just not there to keep the GUI clean.
Biased you may say? Well I own an e250, which I bought the week it was released, and was one of the first people to figure out how to create file based playlists on it, so no. I would have bought a View, but reading the forums and the support site, I could see it was not mature enough. Perhaps a firmware update will fix the software bugs.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

honestly...i never have the use for a clock...on any player i own, i don't use it...i have a cell phone, a watch, and at work, the time is on my computer and on my desk phone which is more important cause work doesnt care what time my Zune says...if my Zune says 4 and it's really 3:30...it's 3:30...at home, the time is on my cable box, it's automatically set and always right...why do i need a clock on my MP3 player? there's about a dozen things wrong with the View, and in order to pick on the zune you comment on the clock? seriously? Does the View have RDS? How about premium earphones out of the box? 3.2inch screen? 80gb of storage? Twist interface? How about full screen album art? Still no?

And i'm not biased either, I own a 4gb Sansa e200 series...but even I can admit that it can't hold a candle to the new Zunes...

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM

I'm really happy with my View. The latest firmware fixes seemed to relieve a lot of the problems that I've had with mine. The build is good, the sound quality is good. There's only one thing that I'm not a big fan of: size. It's not a large player by any stretch of the imagination. It's also not small. If you're looking strictly for a music player, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a music player that also does a good job of playing videos, the View is the way to go (picture quality is really good, I think). If you're looking for a unit that is primarily a video player, look elsewhere.

For the 16 gig flash sizes, I think that the Creative Zen is a good player, as well as the Cowon iAudio 7. I was wrestling between those 3 players and a Zune for a long time. I didn't like the battery life of the Zune, so that was out. I have slightly more than 16 gigs of music, so the Cowon was out. I already had an e200 with some accessories, like a dock and speakers, so I fell on the side of the View. I also didn't like the fact that the Zen doesn't integrate memory card contents into the primary music library...you have to specifically go to the card to get the music there.

Is that all there is out there? Good lord, no. Those were just the ones that I was interested in. I was also looking primarily at Flash players (mostly for the battery life). Ultimately, do the research and see which one(s) have the features you want. Then search forums and get opinions along with reading reviews, which judging by this thread, you're doing. (aside: where is the review for the View on abi?)

My thoughts on the View: it's good for me, but may not be right for everyone. And contrary to popular belief, the View is NOT a replacement for the e200 series. It's too big. Sandisk made a big mistake by making the two players look so similar; it only causes confusion. They should have kept the original design, IMHO.

And if you ask nicely, I could probably post some side by side pictures to illustrate the size difference between the e200 and View.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 PM

I have to say it's pretty good. I recently found this for my mom and being electronically inept as she is... She can easily use it.

Loading up the songs and play list were very easy for me through Winamp. And most players the playlist thing doesn't really work too well. Happy that it goes in alphabetical order.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Since the last firmware update, I've had absolutely ZERO issues with the View. It used to skip during song playback, and some other minor stuff... now... it's actually a pretty damn solid player.

The size of it feels big at first, but after using it for a day or two, it feels just right.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If you're already sold on a Sansa, take a serious look at the new e200 V2 series
What's a e200 v2?

Quote:
It's album art, does it matter?

Quote:
It's hardly big though.

Personally I don't wear speedos to the gym

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post
What's a e200 v2?

It's album art, does it matter?

It's hardly big though.

Personally I don't wear speedos to the gym
personally, it does matter, I happen to like it.

And while it's not huge, it is def. noticeable to have on your arm. If you are gonna just set it on the machine, then why not just get a hard drive player and have more music with you. Flash is only need if you are gonna have it on your arm and you don't wanna jolt the player

Edit: btw, speedo or not, gym clothes don't typically have pockets...so what you were pretty much has no effect on it...

Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post
What's a e200 v2?...

Read up in the Threads in Forum : e200 v2 .

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc