android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Vision:M seems cool, but I have doubts. Some help, please?

So I've been all over the place the last few days trying to decide what MP3 player I would buy to replace my old Muvo2. I want a lot of storage space, as I am planning on putting a ton of music on it.

I figure I'll occasionally want to watch videos on it, mostly stuff that I pull off torrents and such, but I won't do that a whole lot, I don't think. Originally I was going to get a Vision W, but after talking to people here, and seeing how HUGE it is, I don't think I want that anymore.

So I'm leaning toward the Vision M. I like the idea of the flash memory that the Zen has, but since the biggest one I can get right now is 16gb, that's not really going to work for me. Plus, when the 32gb one DOES come out, I'm thinking it will be a lot more expensive.

I also like not having to deal with the video transcoding, so that's a plus for the M.

I have two concerns about the M. The first is the most significant. Considering that I'm having a hard time finding one (even the 30gb) from reputable vendors, it looks like it is probably discontinued. This might be a bad time to get on board with that.

Second, I don't like that you can't change the battery. That's the same problem that the Zen has, but I'm not happy about it either way.

I'm curious what other people think. I'm having a REALLY hard time finding the right device for me. The size of the Vision M is fine for me. I like how much smaller the Zen is, but I can live with the bigger one.

Does anyone have any information that might help my concerns, or point me in the right direction? I miss having an MP3 player, but I'm having SO much trouble deciding.

I just know I'm damned well not getting an Ipod. I'd rather have NO mp3 player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Vision:M was discontinued this past summer, you're probably gonna have to go for a refurb/used one. As for the battery, depends on your reason for wanting that, as far as swapping batteries on the go for longer playing time, then no, can't do that, but the battery is easy enough to get to that if you're thinking about what you'll do when the battery eventually fades and dies, as long as there is a replacement available, you'll be able to replace the battery.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM

Bah... meant to title this Vision M seems cool. Stupid typo. Oh well.

Even without the battery replacement, is it worth getting the Vision M if I can get my hands on a new one?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

you are prolly gonna have a REALLY hard time finding a new one. If you still want a reasonably sized HD player and not something ZVW sized, you'll be limited to the Ipod Classic, the Zune 30/new Zune80, Toshiba Gigabeat S (if they still make em, i'm not sure), or the Cowon iAudio X5. The rest are large, more PVP than DAP or PMP...I'm partial to the Zune80 because I own one. My review can be read in the Zune80 section as well as the ABi review on the main page. It is also an editor's choice in many publications. Cowon will have better sound quality in the bunch depending on how important that is to you. Zune has RDS, a very spacious 3.2in screen, and a combo touch/tactile interface which is pretty cool but you are tied to the Zune software which you may or may not like. The iPod is...well, an ipod...you're not gonna get great sound quality, but you get a decent UI, but you are tied to Itunes. I don't know much about the gigabeat.

I suggest looking at the COMPARE section of ABi. It may help you decide what is best for you.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM

I highly recommend the vision m you can still get them on E-bay new about $300 buy it now but they are going fast if you are stil not sure type in creative vs i-pod on you-tube you will see why it it is a little gem i have had mine for two years and have loads of music approx. 4000 songs so far on it and i add more full cds every day and still have heaps of space for videos & pics there is nothing i can say that is wrong with them it goes with me everyday and i play it 8 hours a day at work plus i'm pretty sure you could replace the battery if you had to as i have opened mine up to see its cool

Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post

I suggest looking at the COMPARE section of ABi. It may help you decide what is best for you.

LOL! The compare section is what got me in all this trouble in the first place!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

go to the big box stores and try out display models! Some Best Buys I've been to still have the ZVM on display even though they are out of stock...I know the Ipod and the Zunes will be there...prolly not any of the Cowon players, but at least you'll have SOMETHING the help your decision

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
you are prolly gonna have a REALLY hard time finding a new one. If you still want a reasonably sized HD player and not something ZVW sized, you'll be limited to the Ipod Classic, the Zune 30/new Zune80, Toshiba Gigabeat S (if they still make em, i'm not sure), or the Cowon iAudio X5. The rest are large, more PVP than DAP or PMP...I'm partial to the Zune80 because I own one. My review can be read in the Zune80 section as well as the ABi review on the main page. It is also an editor's choice in many publications. Cowon will have better sound quality in the bunch depending on how important that is to you. Zune has RDS, a very spacious 3.2in screen, and a combo touch/tactile interface which is pretty cool but you are tied to the Zune software which you may or may not like. The iPod is...well, an ipod...you're not gonna get great sound quality, but you get a decent UI, but you are tied to Itunes. I don't know much about the gigabeat.

The Gigabeat S & Cowon X5 are no longer made either, finding new ones won't be any easier than finding a new Vision:M. You can get a new Vision:M it seems, but you're gonna pay a lot.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM

wait a few days....CES 2008

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
wait a few days....CES 2008
Is that Consumer Electronics Show?

Does that mean new stuff is likely to be released after that? If there's likely to be a new lineup of decent products, I could try to find just a basic MP3 player to hold me over I think. Are there any decent players with good storage for just music that are cheap (since I'd be replacing it pretty darned soon)?

And thanks to the mod who edited my screwed up title!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterPoet View Post
Is that Consumer Electronics Show?

Are there any decent players with good storage for just music that are cheap (since I'd be replacing it pretty darned soon)?
Zen V Plus possibly, that might be more expensive than what you were planning though, very good little player though.