android
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM

Unhappy All my ID3/MP3 Tags are gone !! :(

I am sorry about the odd title, but it is how I feel right now. Ever since I upgraded to the new firmware, I have been having problems with my MP3 tags failing to load on my View. I am using Ubuntu (Linux) and EasyTag to edit all my tags.

I have been having problems where any new mp3s I add to the player are missing all tags. I thought it was because they were ripped under Linux (my other MP3s were ripped on my old Windows PC), so I formatted the player (3 times!), performed the firmware upgrade again (thought it might be an incomplete upgrade because my player never restarted on its own when I copied the files over under UMS mode), and then transfered all my songs back to the player. Now NONE of them have any tags!! :'(

I am ripped at the moment and ready to force Best Buy to let me return and exchange my player. Sadly, the best I can really hope for is getting a replacement (bought over a month ago, but have a 2 year warranty). If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. I plan on exchanging it weds night if I can't find a way to fix this problem, but I am worried that they will either not have any more views to exchange for me, OR, worse, they do, but I run into the same problem again.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me out.

PS Sorry for the crazy title; I was trying to change it and I accidentally hit <ENTER> and posted it. : sighs: Jut not my night.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 AM

I'm having problems with easytag as well, although some googling has found others with ID3tag problems with various programs (easytag, amarok, itunes, etc). I just imported a collection that worked almost completely, except for the stuff I had touched up with easy tags. Variables seem to include the ID Tag version (3v2.3 and 3v2.4), character set (UTF-8 and western) seem
most common, as well as a few flags like //transit and //ignore.

I've not been successful and fixing these tags, but it seems very possible, I'm just not sure what the ID3 tag restrictions are for the sansa view. I'll keep digging, if anyone figures it out please post. At least I have some files that do work and some files (post editing with easytag) that don't. What I need is a full id3 tag dumper that includes everything including versions, character sets and conversion flags.

Last edited by bike; 12-12-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: formatting

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Fixed!

Turns out the fix was rather simple:
apt-get install id3v2
id3v2 -C file

That's it. Nice to return the favor, I would have returned my view without your UMS/MSC post, now hopefully this trivial fix will let you keep your unit and get the full ID3 tag functionality.

I just verified with 200 files that things now properly show up under the correct artists, albums, and genres.

I suspect there's a trivial fix for easytag, maybe just unchecking the write idv3.1 tag checkbox.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 AM

It doesn't seem to be sufficient to update the tags and replace the files. I have to delete the files, disconnect the View from USB and allow it to rebuild the database... After that, I recopy the files and go through another restart/rebuild. My changes to fields never become visible after only a single iteration.

Anyone else have the same problem? I wonder whether it might be a Winamp issue.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Thanks for the info, but a little too late :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike View Post
Turns out the fix was rather simple:
apt-get install id3v2
id3v2 -C file

That's it. Nice to return the favor, I would have returned my view without your UMS/MSC post, now hopefully this trivial fix will let you keep your unit and get the full ID3 tag functionality.

I just verified with 200 files that things now properly show up under the correct artists, albums, and genres.

I suspect there's a trivial fix for easytag, maybe just unchecking the write idv3.1 tag checkbox.
Thank you for the help. I am happy my UMS post helped you out.

But to be honest, its actually too late. I just returned my View of a Samsung P2 last night. With one little hack, it is in full UMS mode and has no problems with my tags (oddly enough). I like the touch screen interface and the sound quality is supposed to be much better. I did cost me an extra $80 (returned it under my 2 year warranty at Best Buy, then bought a warranty on my new P2 while paying the difference between the players), but all the problems I was having with my View makes it all worth while. SanDisk lost me as a customer with their horrible firmware (had many crashes under the new firmware) and poor customer service. I might go back when/if they get their act together and push out some decent firmware.

Good luck to you with your View though. I hope the problems that made me switch do not find their way to you, or anyone else for that matter.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM

I had a rough time getting my ID3 info to show up with the View, too.

Using Ubuntu 7.10, EasyTAG 2.1.2

In EasyTAG go to Settings > Preferences(ALT-P).

Click the 'ID3 Tag Settings' tab.

In the 'ID3v2 Tags' section set the version to ID3v2.3.

Now find whatever music you want on the View and hit CTRL-A. Save them and this'll set the ID3 tags to ID3v2.3. These should be detected just fine by the View.

Note: First time I copied music over with ID3v2.3 it didn't work, but after formatting the view and transferring them again, they worked fine.

Still working on a playlist that works, using Exaile!.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM

I stand corrected. Sort of.

My above method worked for two albums. Others I tried didn't show up...and after removing those two and trying again, the View crashed. Fun times.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Well, my new "method" is working fine, so far. I'm now using Kubuntu and had a chance to try Kid3. This app uses TagLib for ID3v2.4, which apparently SanDisk has some issues with. But it uses id3lib for ID3v2.3, which SanDisk is just fine with. It has a handy option to convert ID3v2.4 to ID3v2.3, which lets the information be displayed on my View.(And doesn't crash it. So far!) Only thing missing is the ability to mass convert...but a folder at a time is fine by me.