android
Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Default T10 Newbie - Lockup problem:

Hey all,

First, my compliments on this board - I just bought a Best Buy version of the T10 - had some gift cards from a birthday, so decided to get my first MP3 player - wanted a flash mem. type (jogging), didn't want an Ipod, or Zune, and liked the Samsung T10 over the comparable Sansas there. Tried to update the firmware, but found the best buy/rhapsody issue thanks to you guys - fixed.

Here's my problem. I was using the fully charged player all day Monday, very pleased with it. Got to the gym, popped it into the armband carrier, turned it on, got the personalized startup screen, then shut off. Re-updating the firmware didn't help, nor did the reset button, although I did have a USB connection to the computer, and could access the files on the T10. Just wouldn't play. So just today, anticipating a trip back to Best Buy for an exchange, I hooked it up to the computer, deleted all of my media. Tried turning it on after - turned on! I didn't delete the videos/music that came with it and re-syncing the thing now. Recommend still taking it back in to BB for an exchange?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Every now and again, DAPs can freak out. Happened with my T9 on rare occasions, and once so far with the T10. I always keep a backup of the entire player on my computer for just such an occasion. That way if something happens, I can just format the player (which keeps current firmware, but deletes ALL media and reverts settings back to factory defaults), copy all the folders back onto the player (takes about 13-15 minutes for 3.8GB+ of media), turn it on, fiddle with settings for 3 or 4 minutes, then off again I go. If you want to return it, go ahead, may be a smart thing for you to do. But where it's working again, I wouldn't fret about it. Like I said, DAPs like to freak out sometimes. Whether a song trips it up (i would recommend virus-scanning all media you put onto the player, and making sure the settings on the mp3 files are relatively normal, I dont know how the player handles text characters it doesnt have a language file for), or the atmospheric conditions in the gym were just right (you never know, the ABS on my car only works right if its been raining heavily the past day or two, so, its a possibility). Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Zolxen; 01-30-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Thanks, Zolxen! That helps - backing up the dir tree is a great idea, I'll do that. Only concern is, if I need to format and it keeps on turning off, there's no way to do that via USB access, right?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM

If Samsung Media Studio can read the player, then yes. Its under Menu --> Portable Device --> Format when it's hooked to the computer. I'm not sure if doing it through Windows Explorer is possible tho, and I wouldnt recommend it, since it might do a low level format, wipe the programming, and turn it into a very expensive USB connected flash drive with a big screen and unusable buttons (much like my T9 which got submerged in water and fried the programming. Still functions as a 4 GB flash drive. *chuckles* Go fig.)