android
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Turning off after playing few songs?

I'm new on this forum so firstly: Hi everybody

I have Creative Zen for few days I've read a lot about sd card issues and other minuses of that player but it's cheap and i decided to buy it. (when i compared prices from my country to for example USA it's not that cheap xD i've payed about 100$ for 2gb version!). It's almost perfect (headphones are crap but i use creative aurvana so i don't care) but has one issue. It's turning of after playing few songs. Sometimes it plays 10 songs and then text 'turning off...' appears, sometimes more sometimes less but it's bit embarassing. Is there anyway to handle it by myself? I don't want wait 2 weeks for RMA (like i've waited for aurvana headpones). I've tried to reupload firmware but that didn't help... Does anyone have old firmware i would try with it. Thanks for help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

AdwiL, welcome!

You are using the latest firmware? It sounds more like a defect more than anything. With the latest firmware, the Zen shouldn't be doing this anyway. Unfortunatly, I would return it for another. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear, but may very well be your best option.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM

It's definately hardware's fault. Replace this one.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 AM

Default Before you RMA...

Be sure to check your player's sleep and idle shutdown settings in the options menus - turn them all to the longest allowed or off -- and then see if this still happens.

Some of us like to fall asleep to the player without emptying the battery overnight -- maybe you've just got those settings tuned too tight.

My player is in the bedroom right now -- where I left it after falling asleep to it last night AND where my wife is sleeping so I don't want to wake her -- or I'd check the specific names of the settings. They should be fairly obvious.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Umm I thought that sleep function works in some other way. I turned it off and issue has gone. But now second problem. There is sth like turning backlight off after f.e. 5 secs in settings. For best battery life i turned it to five seconds but if player isn't blocked it's not working... When I'm waiting 5 secs after click any button firstly screens become darker two times and turn of for like 1/10 second then turn lights on. That's really annoying because zen acu should work for 25h ( i was wondering it will be maximum 75% of that time ) but it's working only 6-7hours (like when playing videos) when it's locked (and screen is turned off) it work for 17-19 hours (depends from sound level). That lcd really 'eats' acu, anyone has this problem too?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM

This is normal for the Zen, and for most Creative players. You'll have to lock it in order to turn off the screen. But even without locking your player you should be able to get at least 10 hours of battery life.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM

So it really sucks... I didn't know about it, before Zen i was using Sony Ericsson W800i and old MuVo TX FM... I'm thinking why they're doing sth like that. Who needs lcd when player is in pocket? It should turn off... And they're cheating on clients with '25 hours of playback' on minimum volume level and turned lcd off? Thanks for crap like this... Last chance for this player is Rockbox or GOOD firmware from Creative. Thanks for replies and helping me.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you just have a preference issue with the Zen, not that it is an actual problem. I don't really understand your issue you have with it. When I'm using the Zen and it goes into my pocket or I put it down for a while, I slide the hold on and the screen turns off shortly after. When I'm done, I turn the hold off. The screen comes back on. Works great. If I'm not using it this way, I don't mess with the hold and the backlight on the LCD will dim within 5 seconds on inactivity (which is what I like it set too). The backlight on the LCD is what uses most power anyway. I haven't really noticed much of a difference with battery life since this is how I have always used it. I usually get around the time stated for battery life for music.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm talking about that zen should have option to turn off lcd without turning on the hold switch. And about that I've set lcd bright (don't know that name in english) to 10% and without hold function it plays for only 6-8(max) hours. When it's on 17-19 hours. It's pretty embarassing to turn off hold every time you want to skip track and then turn it on again. Pretty crap (like that issue with sd cards, 2 separate disks - crap too, but i've knew about it so I was prepared for that...)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM

I also think it could be fixed with firmware but I also doubt Creative will ever fix it. I have switched off my player a few times with this whole unlock-lock procedure just to change volume. Other Zens doesn't seem to work that way.