android
Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 AM

Default Zen won't charge

So the battery on my 16gb zen went flat today on my way home. When I got home I plugged it in via usb but I can't get it to turn so I guess it isn't charging. Am I doing something wrong or is this a fault?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 AM

Is the blue light on? If so, it means it is charging. You can turn it on after it is part charged.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM

No, the blue light is not on. I hear the sound as if it's made a connection with the pc but cannot actually see that it's connected through either the zen software or simply as a drive. When I disconnect it makes the disconnect sound also.... just doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It could take several hours to get a flat battery charged. This is a somewhat common problem among Creative players. USB ports can't deliver much current, so the charge is pretty slow.

Try not letting the battery run completely dead, since it will give you problems. See, the player must be recognized by Windows before being charged. If there's not enough juice in the battery to power your Zen up, it won't be recognized by Windows. Therefore, it won't charge... at this point, the only solution I can think of is charging the player through an AC wall adapter, since it will output enough current to power the player up.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM

try connecting it to ur PC when its turned off it works for me

Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM

I have tried plugging it in and then starting the pc but still nothing. I have to say, I find it pretty ridiculous that I simply cannot charge through usb because the player went flat.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM

If you have tried a different cable and computer without luck, return the player.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosnz View Post
I have tried plugging it in and then starting the pc but still nothing. I have to say, I find it pretty ridiculous that I simply cannot charge through usb because the player went flat.
Have you tried the suggestions that have been given here? Are you using a USB port on the back of the computer (built into the motherboard) instead of one wired to the case (front or side)? Also, make sure the USB port you are using is USB 2.0 and not v1.1.

Per the USB specs:
USB 1.1 = Minimum supply voltage is 4.4v
USB 2.0 = Minimum supply voltage is 4.75v
Both maximum supply voltages are 5.25v and a current of 500mA.

Before the USB bus interface can begin charging a device (Zen), it must return a device identifier to the hub driver (or device driver). Once the hub driver has the returned information from the device (like power requirements, supported transfer speeds, etc.), it can then begin charging the device based on those retuned values. Until the device is properly configured by the USB system, it may not draw more than 100mA from the bus. Once it is configured, it can draw up to the 500mA allowed by the USB bus. However, whether or not the Zen allows for the full draw of the 500mA current, I don't know. This is why some recommend bypassing USB charging and opting for a wall charger. Plus, the supplied current can be more then 500mA resulting in a faster charge time for the Zen.

BUT; from what I understand, the current draw shouldn't really matter though. Whether or not it is drawing 100mA or 500mA, there should be enough voltage supplied to keep it powered on. A low current should still permit proper full charge detection. The battery would just take longer to charge. That makes me wonder if you are having some sort of (low) circuit detection problem instead. Your Zen looks like it may be having this problem between the initial power on phase and the configuration phase when the USB bus is only supplying enough current to load the configuration, but before allowing the full mA current for faster charging.

Either way, try a wall charger like Amoxil suggested and see if you get a different result. Either way afterwards, if your Zen cannot stay turned on, even when plugged into a USB port, then I would say it has more serious issues then just the battery and I would look into returning it if you can. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It seems there is actually some fault with the unit so I am in the process of returning it.