android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 AM

Default Pre-Sales questions about playlists and their creation.

A couple of things I want to know about due to me having some bad luck with a new player I just bought and how it deals with playlists, or more like doesnt deal with them.

On the Zen can I do any of the following:

1) Most important: Can I make dynamic playlists? For example, if I am playing a random song and all of a sudden thing "Man, I wish I could play some ____ next" can I go to a certain track and add it to play immediately after the one that I am currently hearing? I don't want to have to switch modes or go to a different folder, I just want it to play next. If I am listening to one CD but then want something completely different to come next can I get that other song to come on after what I am listening to or will it be added to some other playlist in some other section of the player that I will have to navigate to in order to get myself out of the current list of songs I am listening to?

2) Now the less important stuff. Can I save playlists that I create on the player or will they be wiped out when I turn it off?

2.a) Can the playlists be named if they can be saved?

2.b) Can playlists be re-ordered?

3) Can playlists be made when the player is hooked up to my PC in a simple way?

4) What playlist formats are supported?

5) Does the ZEN use MTP or MSC to transfer music? Can I switch between then? Can I just drag and drop stuff onto the player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Yes. The playlist feature on Creative players is one of the best (if not the best) available. You'll just need to navigate through the music library and use the context menu option named "Add To Selected". The selected album or track will be immediately added to the current playlist;
2) Yes, you can save the "on the go" playlists if you want;
2.a) Yes, you can give the playlists a name;
2.b) No, AFAIK;
3) You can use WMP11, MediaMonkey and other apps to create and sync playlists to the Zen. You can drag and drop in Windows Explorer as well;
4) I guess Creative players use a proprietary format or support playlists generated by the above apps, but I haven't checked that myself;
5) MTP only. You can drag and drop if you want, using Windows Explorer.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
5) MTP only. You can drag and drop if you want, using Windows Explorer.
Thanks for the response!

About #5 above, so I do not have to use the Creative proprietary software to get stuff onto the Zen? So if I go to someone's house with just the USB cable and plug it in to grab some files that they may have, I can do that, or do I need to install and use a media manager?

Can this be used as a portable storage device as well? Will it just show up as a drive letter?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the computer has Windows XP SP2 and WMP11 installed, or Vista, you shouldn't have problems plugging your Zen into it.

It's not an UMS/MSC device, but other Creative players (Zen Vision:M, Zen Micro/MicroPhoto, Zen V Plus) allow people to setup a data "partition" which you can load files into (but the audio and video files can't be played from the partition). I guess the Zen might have the same feature. Maybe an owner can drop by and confirm this.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM

you can just go to a friends house and plug it in. but it depends on what OS your buddy will have. vista, then yes. XP, maybe. the hard part is just getting the OS to recognize and install the driver automatically to be read. vista works very well when i tried it. XP sometimes it works the first time, but sometimes i had to fiddle around with it.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:47 AM

A couple of things to add.

Regarding question 1 above: You can add a track to the selected list as Almoxil describes, but it will not be added as the next track to play. It will just add to the end of the now playing list. There should be a way to then move it up the list, but if it's there, I can't find it.
Also, if you're listening in shuffled mode, it wouldn't matter where it was in the list (which I why I think shuffle mode should work by shuffling the list BEFORE playing and then playing in the newly shuffled order - that way you could make manual changes to the order to suit your taste)

Secondly, you can set the SD card to behave like a removable drive, so you will always be able to grab your friends' files that way. You can then play tracks straight from SD, but you can't include them in any playlists or see them in the main Albums/Arsists(etc) library. You'll have to wait until you get home to move them off the SD and into the main memory.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_uk View Post
Secondly, you can set the SD card to behave like a removable drive, so you will always be able to grab your friends' files that way. You can then play tracks straight from SD, but you can't include them in any playlists or see them in the main Albums/Arsists(etc) library. You'll have to wait until you get home to move them off the SD and into the main memory.
In other words you use MSC if you want to transfer music to SD card.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 AM

Sounds pretty nice.

Any issues with playlists going away randomly or not showing up in the list? My current player has a habit of wiping it's playlists out if I create new ones using MTP and Windows Explorer. They don't always show up and the whole thing is getting on my nerves.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo View Post
Sounds pretty nice.

Any issues with playlists going away randomly or not showing up in the list? My current player has a habit of wiping it's playlists out if I create new ones using MTP and Windows Explorer. They don't always show up and the whole thing is getting on my nerves.
Not for me. Actually I have had the opposite. Depending on how I edit the playlists, sometimes when I make a change to an existing playlist (that already exists on the Zen), when I go to re-sync, it doesn't update the playlist on the Zen. I then have to delete the one on the Zen and then re-sync to get the updated one. I believe this has something to do with how the playlist was created and what was used to edit it.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

It's usually better habit to work with files than syncing/resyncing player contents. You'll have a better control of your player and save some headaches from unexpected issues.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_uk View Post
(...) Regarding question 1 above: You can add a track to the selected list as Almoxil describes, but it will not be added as the next track to play. It will just add to the end of the now playing list. (...)
Thanks for clarifying that, qwerty_uk. Indeed, the album or track will be added to the end of the current playlist.