android
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM

Default How to set zen to ums or mtp format

When ever I plug my zen into my laptop it comes up as a portable media device and not a removable drive. I would like to make it a removable drive but don't know how to. The reason being that I can't scan it for viruses when it is a portable media devise. Can someone please helppppppp

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 AM

The Zen is MTP only, AFAIK.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 PM

i have a question. whats the difference? is being a portable media device that different from a removable one?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Samsung Moderator

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...624#post201624

Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM

so how do you scan your zen then if you can't change it to UMS. When I right click my zen it gives me like only 4 or 5 options and none of them is scan. How do you scan it. By the way i have vista.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 PM

If you have a SD card, you can access it as a UMS device if you use Memory Card -> Removable Disk.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synical View Post
so how do you scan your zen then if you can't change it to UMS. When I right click my zen it gives me like only 4 or 5 options and none of them is scan. How do you scan it. By the way i have vista.
You don't really.... I don't think you have to worry about that too much. I believe the Zen uses the Nucleus RTOS from ATI (Accelerated Technology Inc.) and as far as I know, any known viruses that would affect that operating system is just about unheard of. Usually viruses that affect these types of devices affect the Memory Management Unit (MMU) tables. I believe the Nucleus RTOS is partitioned with two different modes; a user mode and a supervisory mode in which programs usually execute only in certain areas of the MMU tables allowing for a more controlled and protected environment. What you know and understand about your typical removable media *like USB/Flash Memory/Drives) doesn't really apply here.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

But the files still may be infected with viruses for PC. I suggest scanning files before putting them on Zen, eventually you may copy whole content of the player to your hdd and then scan it. I realize it's not a good thing to have infected files even though they stay harmless on Zen.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No worries about viruses on your Zen:
  1. Any media files (audio, picture and video) are treated as data; that is, the worst possible situation is a media file "corrupted" by a virus on your PC and transferred to the player: it will at worst be unplayable or lock the player up (which you can solve by doing a reset);
  2. As far as executable files (.com, .exe, .dll, .ovl, .bat and other extensions), they won't affect the player, since the Zen isn't designed to run user apps and neither the CPU nor the "OS" will understand and decode x86 instructions.
The only harmful situation I can see is using the player to transport files between distinct computers. If an executable file is loaded onto the player and then to another computer, it may infect that computer if the local anti-virus isn't fully functional, updated or if there's none.