android
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Default FF and RW abilities

Hey all, I'm about to receive an mp3 player of choice from some family living in Japan, and I've picked the 8GB Zen. As a previous owner of a ZVM 30GB, I was wondering if the new Zen has the ability to "skip fast-forward", like on iPods how you can FF really quickly. I listen to some really long music files (sometimes up to 6 hours) so the whole "hold down the FF button for 5 minutes" thing got really frustrating. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM

yea, this will be a problem. because for me, i think the FF and RW function on the zen is really slow. well probably because it was designed for 4 min long audio files, it first FF with 1 sec intervals, then i think 10 sec, to 1 min, but then im not sure after 1 min because im at the end of the song already so im not sure what happens after it FF in 1 min intervals. perhaps 10 min probably. not nearly as fast as ipods because the ipods have the scroll wheel while this is tactile.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 AM

The zen has a progressive FF & REW starts off slow but then increases after a few seconds and eventually jumps about an hour a second - makes it a bit difficult to judge exactly the start point but then you can FF & REW at a slower pace the second time you do it. Great for long (I have up to 35hour audio books on mine) files. You can also use the bookmark facility. All in all I think the zen is a great player.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The zen has a progressive FF & REW starts off slow but then increases after a few seconds and eventually jumps about an hour a second - makes it a bit difficult to judge exactly the start point but then you can FF & REW at a slower pace the second time you do it.
The real fast FF is very useful when returning to watch a movie/TV show that is stored on an SD card since no bookmarks can be used; as is, the slow FF beginning again after reaching a certain spot.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 PM

I wonder what's the max speed of FF/REW in Zen, but I can also imagine the algorithm that doesn't limit the progression.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

i never got an hour per second FF because my files are max like 15min. =P well i think its really slow in the beginning, maybe too slow.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the info, I think progressive scan will be good enough since there's no way I'm getting an iPod (this is abi after all).

Old 03-13-2008, 05:34 AM

Just timed a ff it took 28 seconds to ff through a 17 hour audio book from start to finish.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Wow that's definitely good enough then. Just informed my family in Japan, I am looking forward to becoming an owner of the Zen.