android
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Sounds like we've been down the same road. Man...WinAmp... It really whips the Lama's ass!
I considered myself a WinAmp wizard. Created several skins, and downloaded all the others. It was my only player for a long time.

I've also been downloading and ripping MP'3 for at least 12 years now. Starting getting real serious with MP3s in the late 1990's. In checking my hard drive just now I see I'm currently at 158 Gigs of MP3's. Unfortunately the early MP3's are at 128 Kbps, and the collection includes a ton of music I'll probably never listen to. I was in a club at work where we would swap HDD's on the weekend and copies each others files.

I've picked up my first DAP a little over 2 years ago. Since then I've acquired a collection.. iRivers, iAudio, Sandisk... but never an iPod. Never even been tempted! I'm strickly a drag and drop, old school kinda user. Besides being tied to iTunes would make me crazy.

After several days I finally got my entire collection all tagged and back in order, all artwork, dates etc. Whew! I only wish I knew what or how I managed to clobber my collection with Media monkey so I could warn others, as well as make sure I'd never do it again.

As to my experience the A810. Just like the S610 I don't think you can beat the sound quality. Hands down the best I've MP3 player sound quality I've had yet. I'm pretty fussy about music quality and I've got no complaints. The interface is very intuitive, in fact I never even had to pick up the user manual. While the metal case of the 810 is sweet I also have found no issues at all with the plastic case of the S610 (which is the one I carry the most) because it has the FM tuner. The 810 is on my nightstand and the unit I listen to every night. I'll also admit to paying more for my earbuds than any DAP I've ever owned but have no complaints on the ones that came with the 810. I generally don't take my expensive earbuds out of the house so thats where the 810 earbuds came in really handy. (The 610 earbuds? Lets just say they never came out of the package)

I know one thing... I wouldn't have either the a 610/810 without Sonys clear case The cases only add 3/16 to the overall thickness but do an awesome job at protecting your investment.
LLamma's ass.... classic! I'm also going through the process of purging shit that I don't like and won't ever listen to, especially after swapping HDD's with friends.

I didn't really get heavy into mp3's until the late 90's, but yeah, seems our experiences are similar.

Thanks for your tips and letting me know about your experience with the 810.

Another alternative to the Sony clear case is the Invisible Shield from Shield Zone (now named to ZAGG Inc I think). I've used it on my cellphone, PSP and even bought one for my niece's 2G iPod Nano. They're really great at protecting & come with a lifetime warranty. They do have a bit of sheen/shine to them though. Anyway, I just checked and they have one for the 810 already.

http://www.invisibleshield.com/mp3-p...lkman-a810.php

They also do custom orders for items not listed. That's what I had to do with my cellphone and now they sell it to the market, Moto A1200.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
Another alternative to the Sony clear case is the Invisible Shield from Shield Zone (now named to ZAGG Inc I think). I've used it on my cellphone, PSP and even bought one for my niece's 2G iPod Nano. They're really great at protecting & come with a lifetime warranty. They do have a bit of sheen/shine to them though. Anyway, I just checked and they have one for the 810 already.

http://www.invisibleshield.com/mp3-p...lkman-a810.php

They also do custom orders for items not listed. That's what I had to do with my cellphone and now they sell it to the market, Moto A1200.
Yep... I'm familiar with invisibleshield. About 6 months ago I purchased a new 8GB iRiver X20 (my Sony Walkmans replaced the X20) The X20 has (or had) a 2.2in LCD. The invisibleshield did an awesome job of protecting it ... not a single scratch! It's just like they advertise. However... one day I had the X20 in my front pocket with my car keys. I was sliding into a booth at a restaurant and SNAP! My keys evidently put pressure on the LCD and it cracked diagonally corner to corner.

NET: Be aware that while invisibleshield protects against scratches it doesn't protect against pressure. While the Sony crystal cases do add a little bulk, and will scratch... short of hitting it with a hammer or stomping on it I doubt you could break the LCD. I beat the crap out of my S610 and have dropped it to the pavement several times while jogging. The first time I watched it bounce down the road in front of me... I expected the worst. But... no harm came to the player. The case has some serious scratches from sliding to a halt but the player itself still looks new.

Hmmm... ... maybe I ought to put invisibleshield on my crystal cases to protect them from scratching.