android
Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 AM

Default Freezes and then black screen

My daughters ZEN normally works very well. Sometimes the ZEN freezes which lets her wait until it dies out. Then she just charges it and it works well again. But not now. It wont charge and the screen is still black. Any solution?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try putting a paper clip or push pin into the small Reset hole on the bottom. This will do a hard reset of the device, rebuild its library of data, and should be good. The question is why it is doing this "lock-up" to begin with..... Does it usually happen when watching a particular video or listening to a particular song? Also, you mentioned that you wait until the battery runs out; this isn't good practice for the type of battery that is in Zen. They don't like to be drained all the way. They liked to be charged in small increments often rather then long charges rarely. Try the reset and let us know.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Thank you for answering, but the clip in the reset hole dosen't help anything. It won't start. My daughter says, that she can't turn it off, when it freezes, but she hasn't tried to reset. I think the reason it freezes is, that all the 8 GB is almost used with films and music. She loves her ZEN, and I must say, the quality is very good.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM

I would try to reformat the player.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 PM

How does she reformat the player? Maybe it's a strange question. There is no reaction in the player, when she connects it to the computer.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How does she reformat the player? Maybe it's a strange question. There is no reaction in the player, when she connects it to the computer.
How to Reformat the Zen:

1. Plug the Zen. Go to Zen Media Explorer. Select "Settings and Information". Go to the "Tools" Tab. Select the "Format" button.

It sounds like the battery's power is drained below the low voltage detection circuit capable for it to begin charging again.

Here are some things you can try:

1. Make sure you are using a USB port on the back of the computer (built into the motherboard) instead of one wired to the case (front or side)? That way you are using a USB port with the proper power output.

2. Make sure the USB port you are using is USB 2.0 and not v1.1. If you computer is a newer computer, this shouldn't be a problem, but if it is an older computer, it may only have USB 1.1 ports which doesn't output enough power as USB 2.0 ports.

3. Make sure you have no other USB devices plugged into the computer (front and back ports), but the Zen. That may be worth a try to see if you can get enough current from the USB ports to begin charging it again. Usually the more devices you have plugged into the USB ports, the less current that will be available for charging due to the power being shared with all other devices plugged in.

4. If that doesn't work, you can try to use a wall charger (like the Motorola Razor) and see if it would come back on. Wall chargers sometime will be able to output more current than the USB ports of a computer resulting in faster charging. Sometimes it is enough to turn it back on. Don't just try any wall charger though. You don't want it outputting too much power to the Zen and causing electrical damage. I would not go above a 5v charger for this since 5v, I believe, is the input power limit of the Zen. Maybe others using wall chargers on their Zen's can chime in on this.

5. Last case scenario; call Creative to arrange to have it sent back for repair or warranty replacement.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM

you say that your daughter hasnt use the reset button yet. use it and dont be afraid to. i do it all the time. it does not delete the music and movies from the zen. reformatting it WILL erase all the music and videos from it though. i use the reset button a lot, and im glad creative put one there, although the better idea would to have a firmware that wouldnt crash/freeze at all, but oh well.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 AM

Latest firmwares shouldn't cause crash or freezing. I never had such issues. Often freezing may be caused by bugs in flash memory. Filling the whole memory up may mess library but this still shouldn't cause crashes. If this happens frequently I'd consider replacing Zen with another.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Did this get resolved?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 AM

We say thank you for all the answers, but the ZEN is unfortunately dead. ZEN Media Explorer is saying: "your player is not connected." And we have connected it to the back of the computer. We have also tried to charge it in the wall with a correct charger. The Zen is only 3 month old, so I will go back to the store with it.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry to hear..... if you don't have any luck with replacing it from the store, you should be able to get Creative to honor the warranty for replacement since you just purchased it 3 months ago.

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service:
http://us.creative.com/support/warranty/rma/obtainrma.asp

Creative Warranty Returns FAQ:
http://us.creative.com/support/warranty/rma/rmafaq.asp