android
Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Default PC freezes when transferring files

Hi,

Bought my zen 3 days ago and there was no problem. But today when I wanted to put music on it, it my pc freezes every time. I unplug the USB from my zen and zen freezes too, so I have to reset it. Installed lastest firmware. Did play + reset + off and cleaned up, still nothing that helps.

Anyone an ideo what may help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Need a little more info.... How are you putting files on the Zen? What software are you using to sync, if you are syncing? What kind of music files? Does it freeze on any particular file/song or does it do it to any you try including any different ones? Does it freeze when you try to transfer/sync photos or videos? Have you tried using a different computer?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 PM

^Don't use the "Add Media" feature of Creative Media Explorer. Instead click "Browse Media" and drag and drop your files to the respective folders to which they belong to (audio to "music", videos to "video", etc.).

The "Add Media" feature, in my experience, has a hard time handling a large volume of files for transfer.

WMP 11 is stable as well, no problems with transferring, at least on my Vista laptop.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 PM

Just to add to the wealth of useful information, which OS are you on?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 AM

I agree that we need mor einfo What type of PC are you uisng

What OS, How Much RAM ect..

If you are using Winodws try using Windows explorer ( drag and drop) or Using WMP 11 both use less resources than Zen's Desktop software.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 AM

Specs:
AMD Athlon 3800+
2GB RAM
Geforce 7900GT
Win XP

It transfers a small part of the 1st file and then freezes

What software are you using to sync, if you are syncing?
Everything, zen media explorer, windows explorer and WMP 11.

What kind of music files?
MP3 but videos also don't work

Does it freeze on any particular file/song or does it do it to any you try including any different ones?
Freezes with everything

Does it freeze when you try to transfer/sync photos or videos?
Yes

Have you tried using a different computer?
No

Old 03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you able to drag-and-drop your files into their folders for playback or does the Zen freeze just like it does when syncing?

If you want to know if the problem is the Zen or with the computer you can try either installing the Zen on another computer or returning your Zen for another; or both. Then you should see how/if the problem carries over to the new Zen or not. If you still have the same issue with a new Zen, then I would say their is more to your computer/setup causing the issue. If the issue goes away, you will know it was the Zen. Since you are saying it locks up your computer too, I am leaning towards more of an issue with your computer more so then the Zen.

If everything you do, no matter what the media you are trying to copy/sync is "freezing" the Zen and computer, then I hate to say it but it may be faster to just try the Zen on another computer to see how it reacts firsts (if you have another you can try it on). If you can't, I would just get it replaced. You may be able to get this done in less time then having everyone here try to figure out the issue. In the mean time, you may try uninstallingWMP11/rolling back to WMP10 to see if that helps. If it doesn't try uninstalling all Creative software, then reinstalling WMP11 and trying again.