android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Can this M be saved? Computer won't recognize AND a firmware error

Sorry for the newbie question. I did a quick search and could not find both problems. We were having issues with our computer(s) recognizing our Vision M. We tried to reset back to the factory settings. We tried various fixes on this and the Creative Boards. Nothing worked. I'm afraid the firmware on the unit was corrupted or removed because now we have a firmware error.

Do I have a brick on my hands? I bought an extended warranty from a third party vendor. Do you think they'd cover software failure if it's not listed as one of the exclusions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM

First things first, go to creative's web site and download the auto firmware recovery tool from the downloads section.
Ensure that you have an active internet connection for this.

When ready look at the bottom edge of the player right next to the data port there will be a pin sized hole. Insert a straight paper clip or something similar into the hole and switch on choose the option to cleanup firmware. ***Warning! all content on the player may be lost***

Use the tool to download and install the new firmware to the player.
When this process is successfully complete, try to see if the player is recognised, to help any further I'd need to know what operating system your using and whether or not your using Windows media player 11.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Hello, thank you so much for your response. I tried what you suggested as I'd done the steps previously. But unfortunately, no, the player is not being read and when it boots up I get a 'firmware problem' error. Previously when I went to clean up the firmware I did get the option to clean up the firmware and used it and that lead to the 'firmware problem' error. Now I have a unit that isn't read by the computer and can't load the firmware.

I am using WMP 10 and I have WXP SP2 Home Edition. Thank you so much for any info you might offer. I've found Creative to be NO help at all.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Here is the response I finally got from Creative today. There is no physical damage only a firmware error and the inability for any computer to read the darn thing.

Quote:
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for writing back and letting me assist you further with your
concern.

Apologize for any inconvenience caused from this experience. Please
allow me to assist you further in resolving the issue.

Here are a few suggestions that you can try:

The problem you described indicates your unit may require repair or
replacement. However, you may like to know that for this type of repair, it will be consider as out of warranty due to physical damage and there
will be a repair charges of USD$249.99 incurred.
Should you wish to
proceed for the out of warranty repair, please submit the following
required information to us in a reply to this message so the RMA can be issued:

Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 PM

When my zen did the same thing I followed this topic: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=6328

Scroll down until you get to hearse's comment on how he he fixed it and download the file.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Did what you suggested and I tried to install the file but I got this error and I have no clue what to do with this. Perhaps I'm having computer AND ZVM errors. Lucky me.

[SC] Createservice success

The Service is not responding to the Control Function
More Help is Available by Typing NET HELPMSG 2186

[SC] Deleteservice success

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofeisty View Post
Perhaps I'm having computer AND ZVM errors. Lucky me.
Try it in another computer. If you have access to one that runs Vista, that's a good way of ruling out computer errors. Vista has all the necessary drivers for the ZVM, and should automatically recognise it.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Banned

I'll bet its the hard drive. While the Zen is powered on, put the back of it up to your ear and listen to the sounds. Are there clicking noises?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM

Tried all the steps in another computer and got the same error I described in post #6. There was no clicking sound. I've tried using brand new adapter cord and sync adapter and still nada.

I'm intermediate as far as computer skills so I don't think it's anything that I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering if something is wrong with the connector inside the Zen. It won't read the cord to charge.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM

You say you don't here clicking noises. Do you here any noises, like the sound of it spinning, if you can't here spinning or the spinning constantly starts and stops I've found that it usually means a hard drive failure or a hard drive connection error.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM

Hello,

my 30gb zen is doing the same exact thing now. I tried the fixup file but even that did not work. I first could still use my player but today when I went into recovery mode I can't seem to get out. Everytime I reset it, I get firmware problem and nothing happens. I can't get the computer to recognize the player so it can't even recover the firmware. Is my harddrive dead or is it the motherboard? I've seen the same player 100 refurbished, but mine is in immaculate condition and even has the nice screen protector film on it as well. my Christmas present from 2 years ago is dead I think
should I get another motherboard for it for a 100 or just get the refurb? Or should I see if I can get a deal on a working mobo with hdd upgrade?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM

There is no sound coming from the player at all. It's like it's in a coma or something. I am wondering if it is a hard drive failure as well. Thank you for the help here. Creative is no help. If I ever purchase another Creative then I'll by their extended warranty because they are of no help.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofeisty View Post
There is no sound coming from the player at all. It's like it's in a coma or something. I am wondering if it is a hard drive failure as well. Thank you for the help here. Creative is no help. If I ever purchase another Creative then I'll by their extended warranty because they are of no help.
This normally shows that there is a connection issue. Take it apart and take the cable out and put it back in as far as you can. See if it works after that.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

I agree with XJ; its almost certainly a connection issue. You need to disassemble it and reconnect the hard drive connector cable.