android
Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...y=NWS+A+Series

Check it out...other capacities can be seen if you click on A Series.

Accoding to What Hifi? they will be out in April.
Just gone to have a look at the spec again and they've removed the 16GB version from the page...only the 4 and 8 GB versions with the crappy headphones are there!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM

oh no! bad news.. They HAVE to develope a walkman with 16GB memory, otherwise sandisk, creative and all of the others will have a huge advantage over them

Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 AM

what's goin on..Sony???!!! the fact of the matter is...Sony has once again "betrayed" their Euro fans by rolling out a product in the market that's incomplete. and as as Sony fan that's unfair & madness AFAIC. and now...no 16GB? im more inclined to buy a diferrent mp3/DAP player now than ever. the new Walkman only slightly improves upon it;s predecessor. i was hoping Sony can do better than the Ipod Touch or maybe the P2....

Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Right...I don't know what's happening with the website but when I posted the above link there were 5 different 82x players shown: Bluetooth headphones or good looking in-ear phones for 4 and 8GB and goodlooking in-ear phones for 16GB. Looking at the website now there is only Bluetooth headphones for 4 and 8GB and my link says it's only available to My Sony members...I've just joined and the 16GB player page is still there but it's still not mentioned when you navigate from that page to the A series players. Odd.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Odd or not. the "new" Walkman is just a tad better than the "current" one. and again..why no Noise Cancelling feature? Sony is lagging behind other companies when it comes to MP3/DAP players. im a Sony fan before and till now but after this "fiasco" they better perform a miracle to woo me back.....

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Sony aren't making it for owners of the current one, it's about getting people with a 2nd gen Nano or me with my Samsung Z5 to buy one.

Although they are clearly lagging behind Apple (as everyone is) at least they are near the top of the list when it comes to sound quality, battery life and build quality.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM

i agree with you on the sound. but their EX in-ear buds tends to bog down after a while (like mine after just 10 months of use), battery life is at par with Samsung's P2, build-quality is still slightly better than the rest though.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Does anyone have any information regarding the A/V dock that was announced at the same time as this new series of player? I having a feeling the dock itself is going to be high in price.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM

does bluetooth mean no cables and if so will this affect sound quality? when using bluetooth headphones?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:35 PM

bluetooth is a wireless technology and it shouldnt affect SQ

Old 03-23-2008, 04:31 PM

Not the SQ but the sound quality perhaps, again not sure not tested BT headphones. All I know the sound is re-encoded when sent through via BT.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
General Audio Moderator

Blue tooth does effect SQ, for blue tooth audio, audio is encoded into a different lossy coedec and then sent to the blue tooth radio...

so it basically a lossy coedec compressed into another lossy coedc ....

to my knowledge no lossless encoding yet exists within the blue tooth A2DP profile...

in theory though some headphones can decode a direct mp3 or AAC stream but i haven't seen any, maybe though the sony headphones support this profile and indicate the extreme cost of them...

The codec which is mandatory for all blue tooth stereo audio devices to support is called SBC, it is said to be near CD quality...

Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 PM

So basically the SQ= sound quality is not affected by using bluetooth headphones.. at least not with Sony headphones

Even if it did the loss would be very small for every user to notice

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
General Audio Moderator

In my experience of actually using BT stereo, the sound quality suffers from greatly to moderately based on the choices of headphones

Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Default lossless

apparently it is possible to record to the 829 with a lossless codec instead of mp3/4. Does anyone know which one?