android
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Default SQ compared to Zune 30gb & Sansa e280?

OK, I'm thinking about buying the Zen 16gb. I own an Iriver H320, the Zune and the Sansa. Using the same headphones, "for me" the Iriver sounds the best, the Zune second. So where does the Zen fit in on sound quality? Does it have a decent custom equalizer?

(I know - the Zune does not have a custom EQ setting).

Thanks - R

Last edited by mp34me; 02-18-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Better description of question

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM

The zen has equalizer.. I would think sound quality is a very subjective thing. Different people may have different listening preferences. From the reviewers I have read on the zen, most have pretty good feedback on the sound quality to be rich & clear.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks for replying.

For those of you who own a Zen, I've read in this form a couple posts where people thought the Bass Boost function was not that great. It made the bass sound "muddy". Is this true? In general how is the bass on the Zen? My Sansa E280 - not much bass, no punch. My Iriver H320 very tight, lots of punch and controllable.

Thanks - R

Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 AM

If you have grown accustomed to your iRiver, then the Zen is going to be a serious sonic letdown, as both its 'sound signature' and output volume are marginal at best.

About the only DAP units that will meet/exceed your expectations will be the Sony WM-Series, iRiver Clix2 or the (ubiquitous) Cowon D2.

BTW, Yes, you've heard correctly, the bass boost on the Zen is useless.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 AM

I've noticed the bass boost can become 'muddy' for different songs, but for everything else, it's a very welcoming addition that produces great sound (coupled with my EP-630's). =P

Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 AM

Default Regarding the sound output

OK, you bring up a good point about sound output. A decent pair of ear buds can help out if a player lacks the output. I've got a pair of Sony MDR EX71s which I consider just average in sound quality (at least better than the buds that came boxed with my other players). For comparison to achieve the same listening volume on my 3 players I set the volume to:

Sansa e280: 55% (Volume setting is "Normal")
45% (Volume setting is "High)
Zune: 9 (scale of 1 - 20)
iRiver 13 (scale 1 - 40)

The iRiver has more output. And the Sony buds actually sound better.

My question for you Zen owners is: What ear buds are you using/recommend? What are your volume settings? Are they over 50%? (I know that is a subjective question - some of us like it loud).

Thanks - Robert.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:07 AM

I'm using EP-630's (mentioned in my previous post) and I have the volume at around 11 - 13 (max. is 25) - that's when I'm on the bus (which is particularly loud as we all know + people talking which is quite loud at times). I have smart volume on as well so the volume of the sound is somewhat lowered. But then again, I don't prefer my music to be loud.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp34me View Post
OK, I'm thinking about buying the Zen 16gb. I own an Iriver H320, the Zune and the Sansa. Using the same headphones, "for me" the Iriver sounds the best, the Zune second. So where does the Zen fit in on sound quality? Does it have a decent custom equalizer?

(I know - the Zune does not have a custom EQ setting).

Thanks - R
Zen with stock buds = Good Enough (for me).
Zen with EP630's = Outstanding!

I've heard the Zune (brother) and I prefer my Zen. The EQ works pretty good if you want to take the time to adjust it. I agree with DaHarder on the Bass Boost feature though.

...Oh, and I usually don't ever go above 15 for volume. It gets too loud for me.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 AM

Interesting about what you said on the EP-630s. I just purchased a pair. For the $33, the sound quality is a dramatic improvement over my Sony MDR-EX71s. My Sandisk E280 sound is much better. The highs are clearer and I can now hear some decent bass. The sound quality on my iRiver H320 is fantastic.

On the other hand as you mentioned my Zune 30GB did not sound that good with the EP-630s.

I believe it is the combination of headphone and MP3 player that hits that "sweet spot" we are looking for in how we want our music to sound.

I'm guessing the EP-630s paired with the Zen is a good combination. Makes sense since they are both Creative products.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 AM

For me, personally, my creative zen 16 gb sounds the best with it's Equalizer turned off.

With firmware 1.21.01, i usually use volume level 10 for both audio and video (and the player's volume goes up to 25).

I've never owned an iRiver player, from what I understand the player has surround sound if I'm not mistaken. The Creative Zen definitely doesn't have surround sound, but this humble player has something good to offer when it comes to audio output : clarity

Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Surround sound for stereo output player? I'm glad Zen doesn't have such options.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No bass boost and a few tweaks to the eq = great sound actually. Over used the eq at first but now - this thing ROCKS!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM

Zen has great audio quality. I dont know it compares to Cowon's, but for me that just sound really good enough. Equaliser off, no bass boost, and you've got good-sounding music!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xikk View Post
Zen has great audio quality. I dont know it compares to Cowon's, but for me that just sound really good enough. Equaliser off, no bass boost, and you've got good-sounding music!

I can't say the D2 had bad sound and if I did I'd be lying. There are many who SWEAR by it. I just personally prefer the Zen - cowon was too fickle with the firmware too keep me satisfied and I'd still have my D2 8gb if there weren't so many DAMN issues. Look at the forums and see what I mean and then look at the Zen. If you haven't had the "wsod" then I see all the little annoyances as not so muck as a prob + pretty good sound (I'm not saying the issue w/the sd card integration is little either) but I've never had a prob yet and I'm hoping for a long time with none!!! As for the bass boost - yeah,..... its not the greatest. Some songs sound FABULOUS and some sound like your listening under water. With it off and my eq (finally) set "just right" this thing (Zen) sounds pretty damn good. I'm so picky I sometimes change my mind as the wind blows but this is a pretty solid portable - if you get a good 1 from the start.

As for the iriver players coming out - they are showing up as a BIG disappointment across the board - and I WAS looking forward to seeing what all the hub-bub was about. Now,.. their older models (provided you can acquire 1) ARE supposed to ROCK!!! IRIVER - WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM

I also have my eye on a D2. I'm reading alot of positive on the SQ. But as you say watch out for the firmware. The other thing is that the UI on the D2 is not as intuitive/easy to use as the Zen or Zune, Sansa e280, iPod etc. The SQ on my iRiver H320 is greate but the UI is a pain. I'm still fumbling with it after 4 years.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have an iRiver H320 I do whole heartedly suggest that you go with the D2 over the Zen as the sq is really not the same and you prob will be disappointed with it. The H320 ( I've read from forums and reviews) sounds fantastic. The Zen - even though I sold my D2 and went with it - is not in the same class as the D2. I have it for the total features it has and the fact that, for me at least, it has been - for the most part - pretty trouble free. I sometimes get a wee bit annoyed when I listen to my sony S618 and then listen to the Zen later that day. The sound is just not as full and satisfying as the sony (or as good as the D2 was for that matter).
Try out the D2 and see if the firmware bugs have been solved and if not, just wait it out. It will prob come with 2.51 - if you DO NOT upgrade you will end up having none of the difficulties I've had. When the next update comes out then it should be time to update the D2. But by all means, give it a try and see what stellar sound it has. No other player will ever sound the same to you again!!! And ,....... thats a GOOD thing.
Also, not to omit this little fact - I personally like the sound of the new Sony's better than any player on the market - including the Zen AND the D2. The D2 is the king of features and is the best for any operating system and most audio formats. But , the Sony's REALLY kick some serious BOOTAY!!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 03-26-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: oops