android
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Default Is Insignia working on new firmware?

Does anyone know if Insignia is actually working on new firmware?

We're closing in on 6 months since the Pilot's release. Digitaldel hasn't posted in almost two months and the wishlist hasn't been updated in over two months.

The early responsiveness from Insignia was very encouraging and refreshing, but the recent silence is worrying...

Anyone have any concrete information?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Not me. I'm worried too. But the bright side is that Digitaldel might be working real hard on something to do with the firmware release and hasn't had time to post here.

I'd certainly rather wait a little longer for a well tested update than have them cave to pressure and release prematurely.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 PM

I hope that's the case. I just expected that after soliciting all that input on feature requests and enhancements that there would be a post saying "OK, we're going to focus on items X, Y and Z from the wish list for the next firmware". Even if they couldn't give a date it would just be nice to know something was happening.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Digitaldel was active on the dapreview.com forums at least as recently as January 30th, where he said the firmware was currently being tested. This after noting that it was being ported to a new SDK (I think) and then that it was currently being written.

Let's not get our hopes up too high, of course. The firmware will certainly fix a few things and add a few more features, but I seriously doubt it will have every single wish on the wish list implimented.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Good catch, DigitalAxis. That's sounds encouraging. I don't go to dapreview forums too often because they are not very active compared to abi. Anyway, at least it sounds like something is happening with the FW.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM

I won't deny I'm anxious to see a new firmware with some bugs fixed, but it looks like they're taking their time making this firmware release.

They've updated the SDK they're using (which apparently took a lot of time but will help stability) and then have spent a lot of time bugfixing and testing... I presume so that the next release (which will be for the Pilot, Sport, AND the NS-DV and NS-DA) will be a lot more stable on every player. They were already kinda burned by the instability of the 1.2 firmware update for the NS-DV and I doubt they want to repeat that experience.

That, and they have all these wonderful suggestions from us demanding techie types...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Another silent month goes by...

DigitalDel, are you out there anywhere? It's been almost four months since we heard from you.

It's been long enough now that I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there's a new product in the works and the Pilot has been put on the back burner. Or maybe DigitalDel has left Insignia. Or maybe his openness about firmware development was not officially sanctioned by Insignia and they put a stop to it.

Whatever the reason, it's getting pretty hard to remain optimistic.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM

I believe his last access on DAPPreview.net has been the end of February.

Hopefully they will fix the SD card issue with long database rebuilds, I really want a 16gb Card...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Is digitaldel still with Insignia?

I think digitaldel is no longer with Insignia/Best Buy. Back in February he helped me get a replacement for an NS-DV that was bricked by the 1.2 FW update*. All he asked was that I mail back my broken unit to a name/address he gave me. When I mailed back the broken player it was returned to me with "No Longer With The Company" stamped on it. The name digitadel gave me was "Mike Trosman" and the address was Best Buy corporate in Richfield, MN. A phone call to Best Buy confirmed that 'Mike Trosman' was no longer with the company.

I'm hoping that digitaldel and Mike Trosman are not the same person, but I have a sinking feeling they are.

* I've since moved up to a Pilot.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Insignia Moderator

Different guy. Nigel Waites is the man behind the screen name, and as far as I know, he's still with the company.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 AM

Whew! I'm glad to know that. I was going to be very disappointed with Best Buy if the one guy that really helped me out was let go. Thanks, Tobey.