android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman S Series

Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM

I just picked up an A818 and I've had no problem with drag-and-drop through the file manager on my Ubuntu Linux system. However, I have noticed one issue -- the player seems to ignore disc number tags, so when I view an album through the tag browser, it lumps the tracks from all of the discs together, rather than listing all of disc 1, then all of disc 2, etc.

I have a lot of multi-disc albums that are tagged with these (it's the TPOS field of the ID3v2 tag), and it'd be great to get these working on the Sony.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatzz View Post
Try change all to 200 x 200 and the cover art image file format will be .jpg.
Thanks for your help.

The album art MUST be in .jpg format. However I think size does not matter because I some album art that's in the following sizes:

945x945
680x680
604x604
600x600
500x500

and various other sizes larger than 200x200.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I have the A816 and while working with my player I came across something that might help people who need to have some type of playlist function via drag and drop. Although loading files via drag-and-drop doesn't allow you to create a playlist, it is possible to use a folder as a playlist.

When loading files on your player, create a folder in the player's music folder with the name of list you want (for example: Favorites). Then put the files you want in your list in that folder.

When going through your music library you will still see the songs listed in the appropriate place in the song, album, artist, and genre lists. But when you go to the folder list you will find a folder with your playlist, and in that folder will have your tracks arranged alphabetically. The only thing I haven't tried yet is putting the same song in more than one folder (I don't think it would be a problem, although you'd have duplicates of the same song on your player).

I hope that you find this useful.
I am confused. My impression from reading the reviews was that these Sony players didn't support browsing by folders. One other thing is that these players are listed as having only 5 mw per channel output. Do you get enough volume with your Sony player? Which headphones are you using?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Browsing By Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I am confused. My impression from reading the reviews was that these Sony players didn't support browsing by folders. One other thing is that these players are listed as having only 5 mw per channel output. Do you get enough volume with your Sony player? Which headphones are you using?
I have the A816 and it does support music browsing by folder. When you select "Music Library" from the main screen the last-listed item is "Folder." Selecting that will allow you to browse your music by folders.

How your music will be arranged in folders will depend on the method you use to load your music. I use Windows Media Player 11 to load my music, and it automatically arranges the music first by artist then by album. Using drag-and-drop allows you to control exactly how your music is arranged on the player.

Concerning the player's volume, I find it more than adequate. At a setting of 13 (out of 30) it is loud enough with most music. I use the Sony h.ear ear clips with my player, I find that they sound good and I'm able to wear them comfortably for long periods of time.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
One other thing is that these players are listed as having only 5 mw per channel output. Do you get enough volume with your Sony player? Which headphones are you using?
I'm using AKG K81 DJ headphones on my new A818, and I haven't found it to be a problem. I typically have it around 20-25 out of 30 when I'm in a noisy environment, like the bus, where I'd have had my iPod not far over half-way up, but it's still more than loud enough for me, and max volume is still uncomfortably loud.

I don't know if you'd want to go much bigger than the K81s, though. I haven't tried the K271s I have for home listening, but I'd imagine they'd be fine in a quiet environment, but not loud enough for my bus trips.