android
Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Lightbulb Syncing files with updated id3 tags

Hi,

Yesterday, I bought a Zen Vision:M 60Gb, and it's a pretty cool player, but after transferring my music I noticed that my collection wasn't entirely optimized for viewing on the Zen, so I edited a lot of tags on my pc.

When I try syncing my music again, it notices that they've changed (yay), but he doesn't want to overwrite the files (he gives errors after the sync, saying that the files already exist, which they do). I can't seem to find an option to allow the sync to overwrite updated files...

Is there a way around this? When I changed some other tags in WMP and synced, it copied the files, creating doubles, instead of overwriting...

Thanks for your help!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 PM

You're going to love this

Easiest way? Just delete all the music on your player and re-sync. Otherwise delete the files you changed off the player.

Either way, sounds as though you have to get the old versions off. I didn't think that was necessary, as wmp is supposed to just overwrite (and certainly not copy)

Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I feared something like that was the answer. I had certainly thought of doing that, but with 35G+ of music to sync, that takes a while; and with hundreds of changed files, hunting down each file could take some time too.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 AM

well, take the easy way out, just reformat your player and start over. Yeah, it sure takes awhile, but it's sooooo worth it

Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 AM

I've done that a couple of times already! It does take some time, but it's not that bad :-)

The weird thing is, if I sync using WMP, and then afterwards change something in its library, and sync the changed files, it copies them instead of syncing them. A bit annoying, but we'll live. =)

Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One thing that will help prevent the copy issue is to use one sync manager and stick with it. For example, if you use WMP11, then just use that. It will handle file and tag updates just fine; however, if you used anything else to transfer any files to your player, WMP11 won't be able to edit it, and will have to make another copy.