android
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Default ZVM to A3 for better Audio quality?

This is my first post, sorry for asking a question prob posed before but cant find anything specific to my query.

Im using Vision M 60gb version which is fine. Im looking at the A3 for its audio quality and FLAC audio capabilities / other audio formats. Im not really interested in the video aspect, just top quality audio and good capacity for lossless formats.

Both the ZVM and A3 seem to have a SNR of about 95dB, so is there much to separate the two in terms of audio quality? Has anyone done a direct comparison on this?

The A3 looks like a top bit of kit but I dont want to buy one to find out that the audio is no better than the ZVM. At the moment I rip to 320 kps WMA format but would like the flexibility to rip to other higher spec formats.

Is it worth spending the money on the A3 or is there any other kit out there with top quality audio and high capacity storage capable of playing as many formats as the A3?

Cheers for your help

Simon

Creative Vision M
Shure SE420
Ipod Nano 8gb (unused!)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM

If you're not interested in the video part, you certainly would be better off with another Cowon player, like the D2 or i7. Those also have a way better battery life than the A3, and a smaller form factor.

The D2 (at the moment) supports up to 24GB of memory (8GB internal and 16GB SD cards), but as soon as 32GB cards are affordable, it will almost double the capacity. The i7 is available as a 16GB model. Both should have decent storage for lossless audio.

The Cowons certainly sound better than the Creatives, SNR doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I was concerned about the size of the A3. I will take a look at both suggestions but had initally discounted them for lack of memory, but didnt appreciate the capacity to take added memory. Do the external flash cards integrate into the existing memory or is it separate as per the new Zen?

Also one further question, is the audio quality on the D2 or i7 up to that on the A3?

Cheers

Simon

Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM

I understand the dilemma about Flash players still not having caught up with HDD players in capacity. It can't take long... at least I hope so - since HDD players are big, slow, and mechanical fault prone, compared to Flash memory.

The D2's SD slot integrates with the internal memory perfectly fine in ID3 browsing mode. In file/folder mode they're treated separately. (Creative players don't even have a file/folder mode, so that's two bonus points for the Cowon...)

Sound quality should be the more or less the same on all of those, since they all use the same Wolfson audio codec. FWIW, the D2 is my main player, I use it daily with a Headsix amp and Shure SE530. I'm very happy with it.

About the audio battery life: the A3 plays 10 hours, the D2 52 hours, the i7 60 hours on one battery charge. The A3 is the worst Cowon player yet, battery-wise.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Thats great, thaks for all the advise. I'll check out the D2, but may still for for the A3 for the larger capacity

Many thanks

I got the SE310's last year and have just bought the SE420's which Im very pleased with. I also use Senn HD590's on my PC with X-Fi card, Shame you cant get your pc in your top pocket!