android
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 AM

Unhappy My Zen won't turn on anymore, no sign of life.

Hey guys, okay..my Zen is just plain DEAD now. So I don't want sollutions (well I do if they work of course). but any answers would be great.

Ok, well yesterday evening I wanted to charge my Zen untill I noticed it was quite wet. I tried to turn it on but no sign of life, nothing! (I think it's because of yesterdays rainstorm. I just got back from school and it started raining on my trousers with my Zen in it). And while i'm still not awake enough to understand what's going on, I plugged the wall charger in it. And it gave me a white/blue flash..and that was it.

Is it dead now? Like electrocuted?
Does this still count as a guarantee repair if I send it to the shop I bought it?

I'm off to school now, i'll try to reply later in the afternoon. Thanks for reading.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Turning it on while it was wet was your first mistake, if you let it dry out BEFORE turning it on then you could have saved it but it may be too late now.

You should wait for ZenChick maybe she can help you, but like I said it may be too late to save it
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM

I do beleive Best Buy's warranty covers everything, so if you bought an extended warranty, you might be in luck. You will have to check with the shop. Though what I would suggest is wait long enough to make sure it is completely dry and then just tell them it stopped working.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM

Oh okay..anyway I smelled it just now. It doesn't smell good at all. It has a burned smell if i'm not mistaken. I don't know if my guarantee covers all the stuff like water damage or electrocution etc.

Does this mean that I might as well buy a new ZEN? Or try sending this one to the shop I bought it again? With again I mean that I (believe it or not) received my ZEN last week from reparations. I know this probably will make me look bad but I really am not that clumsy.

Anyway, any help will be appreaciated. =]

Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Never ever turn on an electronic device while it's wet. You probably caused a short in the main PCB, which means it's fried. Blue flashes and smoke are a sure sign of electronic death. It can probably be fixed, but it will cost you. No warranty will cover damage caused by your own actions. If you're not very scrupulous, you could wait until it dries out, then try to claim that it just stopped working.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try the tips in this thread before resorting to more drastic actions.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Help Ok good news!

I tought i'd give it a small try by plugging it in the wall charger today..and it worked! So it isn't completely fried! It loaded like it always does when it's turned on. CREATIVE logo, and then the ZEN after it. But then just when I tought it would go to the menu it said: FIRMWARE PROBLEM. What does this mean?

It wont turn on (fried), won't react to plugged in via usb cable. But it does react to getting plugged via wall charger but even then it does give me a "FIMWARE PROBLEM" on the screen.

I'm really getting annoyed by Creative even tough this is all my fault *ashamed* ..it's just that other music devices haven't been a problem at all for me.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions are welcome.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Firmware Problem" basically means that the player can't completely load the firmware off the hard drive.

Have you allowed the thing to completely dry before plugging it in again?

You could try to boot into Recovery Mode and see if you can reload the firmware, but I've got a bad feeling you may have damaged the hard drive. Still, it's worth a shot.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Lol, that's the problem. I plugged it in right after I found out it didn't work anymore..even tough it was wet. I tried getting to the recovery menu but it just doesn't turn on at all. So yeah it's dead. But my question now is:

Why does it still work? (Even tough it doesn't load completely) Getting the Creative and Zen logo's is a huge relief because that means it's not completely fried right? What part of my zen needs replacement? And how much will it cost me? (I still have warranty but as someone said earlier, they won't fix it as it's my own fault).

Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Reset Button

I was just reading this and trying to figure out how to fix mine, that just died. There is a reset button on the bottom. Check that out before you give up (worked on mine)...