android
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Default 16GB SD Card Start Up Times

So I finally got around to getting a 16GB SDHC card

Alright, the bigger problem is the fact that the player can only take up to 2k songs...

Well anyway down to business:
SDHC Card Information
Manufacturer: Tanscend
Size: 16GB (14.7 GB with Fat32 partition formated with the Pilot)
Speed Class: 6
Cost: Under $70 at NewEgg.com

Amount of GB on Card: ~11 (more would mean more then 2k files)
Start Up Time: ~24 Seconds

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 PM

My friend at work also ran into the same problem today. She has 3583 total mp3's. 1583 on the 8gb internal storage and 2000 exactly on the 16gb SDHC card. When she tries to sync, all of the songs queued to be sent to the device instantly fail with an error.

She is using my SDHC card for the time being and its an A-DATA 16GB bought from Newegg. It has a FAT32 filesystem and has never been formatted.

Covert, I currently don't have the time to do any testing right now. Did you do any additional testing with this? Specifically, setting the connection mode to "File & Folder" instead of "Automatic"? Or using an external SDHC reader then dropping the card in the player?

I'm pretty certain this is a limitation in the firmware. I was just hoping there might be a work around. If there isn't one, then all we can do is hope that someday Insignia will fix it.

Time to play the waiting game...

Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 PM

I first put all the files via SDHC card reader, limited at 2k songs.

I only use MSC/UMS aka File/Folder. Hate MPT

I also put the card in the player and tried putting files on it that way (faster then via card reader ). But the files were still at 2k...

Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Well, at least it's good to know that it's not worth buying any SDHC card bigger than 8GB.

I'm sure the 2k limit is intentional, either for performance reasons or economic ones.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigs3rd View Post
Well, at least it's good to know that it's not worth buying any SDHC card bigger than 8GB.

Unless you want to videos on it.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM

So you can only use 2k of music files but unlimited amount of movie files???
So cruel...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't know of anyone that has 2k worth of videos haha.

I think the playlist for the player just cannot take more then 2k. I believe they still show up in the file/folder view...

Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
So you can only use 2k of music files but unlimited amount of movie files???
So cruel...
Sorry, I thought his was obvious, but what I meant was that you could easily fill up a 16GB card with much less than 2000 video files (TV episodes/movies) since they can be anywhere from 200MB to 500MB each vs. about 2 to 5MB for a typical music file (i.e., factor of ~100 larger). So there are advantages to going with a large capacity SDHC card despite the 2K file item limit if you are using the player for more than just music files. Besides, the fact that all Pilot compatible music/video/audible/text files will be visible in folder/file navigator view as pointed out in the last post.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 PM

ah, but what if you had more than 2k youtube videos (converted to mpeg)

Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
ah, but what if you had more than 2k youtube videos (converted to mpeg)
I can safely say that I will never have even one youtube video on my Pilot much less 2k. Anyone who has 2000 probably has a serious problem and the 2k limit is the least of their troubles. LOL!

But encoding to XVID (not mpeg) one of the two compatible formats that can be viewed on the Pilot (the other being wmv) at about 6MB per minute, you can get somewhere around 2500 to 3000 minutes of video on a 16GB card.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Well, that just killed all chances of me getting what I thought to be the best current MP3 player to suit my needs. This is just getting ridiculous already. Everything out there is either way too small capacity wise, or has some proprietary BS software which needs to be run for file transfers, or has some sort of limitation.

Is it me, or do DAPs just suck now a days for people who want :

Large capacity
Drag and Drop file transfers
File tree navigation
No proprietary software needed for anything
Decent audio codecs (Ogg, FLAC at least)

I'm getting truly fed up with the stupidity of today's DAP manufacturers. They need to wake up and realize it's not rocket science they're dealing with here. All I need has been done before, and should be don again. Where's the next iRiver H1xx or H3xx series DAP ? The next Rio Karma ? Cowon X_ _ _ ?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 PM

The Pilot isn't that bad, I would wait for the new firmware, I think it should fix things up well.

Also, there is Cowon D2, that might suffice.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 PM

The Cowon D2 was my other choice, I only got the Pilot because I got it cheaply ($70 at bestbuy's ebay store), but after owning a Pilot it's probably safe to say that Cowon is the better DAP. It's so expensive though! I think the hardware feels fine on the Pilot(although I'd get rid of the silly wheel and star/rating button) and the sound is good. I think my complaints are more software related so maybe it'll turn out to be the best with the next firmware.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet spot View Post
Well, that just killed all chances of me getting what I thought to be the best current MP3 player to suit my needs. This is just getting ridiculous already. Everything out there is either way too small capacity wise, or has some proprietary BS software which needs to be run for file transfers, or has some sort of limitation.

Is it me, or do DAPs just suck now a days for people who want :

Large capacity
Drag and Drop file transfers
File tree navigation
No proprietary software needed for anything
Decent audio codecs (Ogg, FLAC at least)

I'm getting truly fed up with the stupidity of today's DAP manufacturers. They need to wake up and realize it's not rocket science they're dealing with here. All I need has been done before, and should be don again. Where's the next iRiver H1xx or H3xx series DAP ? The next Rio Karma ? Cowon X_ _ _ ?
4 out of 5 ain't bad, the only thing on your list that isn't covered by the Pilot are the Ogg/FLAC codecs and that may be addressed by a future firmware upgrade. It has relatively large flash capacity and good expansion via SDHC (no mini or micro SD required). Drag and drop in UMS mode, file tree Navigation (which is NOT subject to the 2K limitation discussed above), and video conversion to Xvid via free/open source SW (e.g., Super/iRiviter) are all also covered. Did you think otherwise?

For me Bluetooth (transmitted through the DAP's equalizer) is huge. Bluetooth wireless audio (decent quality) and remote control are cool bonus features for mobile or exercise use.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
4 out of 5 ain't bad, the only thing on your list that isn't covered by the Pilot are the Ogg/FLAC codecs...
Actually, just the FLAC codec; the Pilot already supports Ogg. As for lossless codecs, at least it makes a showing with WMA Lossless. Not the most-used lossless codec out there, sure, but it's something...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Actually, just the FLAC codec; the Pilot already supports Ogg. As for lossless codecs, at least it makes a showing with WMA Lossless. Not the most-used lossless codec out there, sure, but it's something...
Thanks, yeah I missed that in the specs. It also says in the manual that Ogg support is only available using UMS/MSC transfer mode and the files are only visible under File/Folder mode. I guess that makes it 4.5 out of 5 - even better. Not really sure why "sweet spot" bailed on the Pilot. Based on the list of sweet spot's desires - Pilot sounds pretty close!