android
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Faulty cable destroys two Zen Visions

I recently bought two used Creative Zen Vision M: 30 GB, one for me and one for my brother. I had connectivity problems at first which were solved with a little help from this forum.
Unfortunately, something really bad happened. I got two different chargers for the Zens, one cradle (which worked fine) and one thin cable which ended in a small plug that fit with the port without covering the reset button.
I charged Zen1 in the cradle and it connected to the computer - no problem. Zen2 didn't have any battery power at all, and was charged with the thin cable. The screen didn't light up, but the blue LED on top started to blink. Though it never got charged, I couldn't start it. So I figured I'd put Zen2 in the cradle and charge Zen1 with the cable. Bad idea.
Since then, I haven't been able to get any of the Zens working. They are both unresponsive when I try to turn them on. While they are in the cradle and only the DC-cable is inserted, nothing happens, except when I try to turn the Zen on, the LED flashes five times. When I only use the USB cable, nothing happens. When both the DC-cable and the USB cable is plugged in, the blue LED flashes, as if charging, but nothing else happens. It won't react when I try to turn it on, it keeps on flashing, as if charging (still in cradle).
Does anyone know what to do? Could the thin cable have overcharged the batteries or burned the motherboard? Is this a normal problem which can be solved easly (please God, let it be so)?

Best regards
Oscar

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinava View Post
Could the thin cable have overcharged the batteries or burned the motherboard? Is this a normal problem which can be solved easly (please God, let it be so)?
This could be a perfect example of why you can't go plugging in any cable or adapter into your devices without knowing the proper power specs and wire pinouts. If they were adapters, what are the listed voltage and amperage levels? If they were just cables, the wires could have supplied incorrect power based upon the wires not being in the correct order. Worst case, you ruined the ZVM's circuitry. Best case all you did was maybe just charged them to the point that it could have initiated the high voltage protection circuit, temperature became too high and the mechanical pressure switch enganged, cutting the current path. If this was the case though, I believe you would still be able to power them up with an AC power adapter. You just won't be able to use them on battery power. If you can't power them at all using a known working and compatible AC adapter (or maybe plugging into the USB port on the computer), then most likely..... you ruined them. You can cross your fingers and try another battery to see for sure.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 PM

This thin cable came with the player I bought at a Swedish equivalent of ebay (tradera). It fitted in the slot and although it didn't connect when I first tried to get the Zens to work, it didn't harm them either. It was after I upgraded the firmware and tried to charge the Zens using this cable they died.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It was after I upgraded the firmware and tried to charge the Zens using this cable they died.
I'm wondering if the cable may only have been for syncing/connecting the ZVM and not for charging.

What happens when you do a reset? Can you get it to boot into recovery mode?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 PM

Nothing happens when i push the reset button while it's not connected. I can't find anything to push the button while it's in the cradle, so it's kind of problematic.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Like I said, you can try changing the battery, but it doesn't look good.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
While they are in the cradle and only the DC-cable is inserted, nothing happens, except when I try to turn the Zen on, the LED flashes five times.
First of all, I would never use that thin cable ever again.

Secondly, you mentioned that the blue light flashed five times when you tried to turn the player on. That may actually be a good sign. The five quick flashes is the player's way of telling you that the battery is too low to power up the player. It also means that the battery is working (ie. not disabled) and has enough charge to sense the power switch and light up the blue light. Try charging one of the players in the cradle with DC power for about 6-8 hours, and try again.

Let us know what happens.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Secondly, you mentioned that the blue light flashed five times when you tried to turn the player on. That may actually be a good sign. The five quick flashes is the player's way of telling you that the battery is too low to power up the player. It also means that the battery is working (ie. not disabled) and has enough charge to sense the power switch and light up the blue light.
Are you sure about this? He is on direct power when doing this. It could just be because he is on direct power and it tries communicating with the battery and fails or the circuitry isn't allowing (whether it being bad or protected) current to power it on, then stops flashing. He mentions it doesn't come on at all when trying to power on with just the battery. I believe the power LED comes on when there is power detected properly whether it is from the wall, USB, or the battery. I think the problem here is with the charging/protection circuits or the Micro-controller that interfaces with the battery (may have gone bad). Especially since ZVM1 was already working and charged (using the cradle) before using the cable. Hopefully nothing got fried and having it plugged in for a while can bring it back. If not, I would try a known working battery and keep your fingers crossed.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Alright, this is what happens:
Cradle + DC-connector: No reaction on LED unless trying to turn on, when it flashes five times
Cradle + USB: No reaction at all
Cradle + USB + DC-connector: LED flashes continiously, no reaction when trying to turn on

Trying to reset: Nothing happens
Trying to use friend's computer (which has accepted them before): Nothing happens

I'm thinking of insurance fraud (just kidding) or selling them as spare parts by now. I won't spend any more money trying to get them to work when it's not sure that it will work.