android
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Just bought a Sony NW-S706FV...

Bought it for $99 at JR.com, what a steal, and it's still in stock. It's suppose to be here tomorrow or the day after, I can't wait. Maybe I'll write a review.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafide View Post
Bought it for $99 at JR.com, what a steal, and it's still in stock. It's suppose to be here tomorrow or the day after, I can't wait. Maybe I'll write a review.
I received mine a few days ago. Although it looks really nice and I like
the way the controls work, but I didn't SonicStage and wasn't impressed
with the sound at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I transferred
256kbps MP3s and they sounded congested. MP3 File Manager is not
compatible nor any of the SonicStage alternatives found on the net.

I'd be interested to know if your experience with it is otherwise.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 AM

Luckily I read your comment, I was actually eying for this model for quite some time already...

Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM

From what I've read, it's a superb player... I'm not sure what mishap your unit is, I hope I don't experience it.

I don't mind SonicStage, I have no gripes with it, and I used the original (or earlier versions) with a Sony WALKMAN CD Player. It should be arriving tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I have read the reviews too and that's why I was disappointed first time I put on a pair of headphone. I used a Sennheiser EH150. It sounds pretty open with a computer, but on the S706, it wasn't that great. To be fair, it sounded pretty good with a pair of Sennheiser HD580 though I can't get much volume out of it. This is to be expected from a USB stick player I guess.

I liked the noise cancelling headphone. It works pretty good. The FM radio sounds ok with good reception. Outdoor reception is pretty good, but forget about using it indoors. My cube is less than 10ft from a window and I can't seem to get anything. I don't know if that was because I was using the Sennheiser and not the included headphone.

When I get my aux in hook up in my car, I will try to feed the S706 thru it and see how it sounds.

Please report back on your experience with it. I really want to like this player as I like its form and the OLED better than the IPOD, but the samsung lines looks very good too.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Wow! This thing sounds amazing! The SQ is crisp, clear.... just amazing. I'm hearing minor details I have not heard before on my Insignia NS-DV4G which was an awesome player and had better sound quality than the iPods in my opinion. I'm not sure why your experience is problematic bikejog, perhaps it's defective or it's your personal taste of SQ.

The unit itself looks cool looking and well built, and the controls are well thought out.... $99 well spent for me!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM

Congrats and glad you liked yours. Try the noise cancelling function. It's the bomb.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM

BTW. Anyone know where I can get a clip for this thing?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 PM

I don't know why, but I don't hear much of a difference if I have it on or off, however, when it's on, the music sounds a bit better. The headphone port is a bit loose in terms of movement if I move the jack a bit... can that be the problem?

Is there not much difference in general? I've tried it in a noisy environment, such as riding a train full of middle schoolers. NC on or off didn't make a difference, but I'm happy the included headphones are in-canals! which got rid of most of the unless banter. Am I expecting too much from NC or what?

Here is the clip!

Edit: Okay, apparently... when I thought it was on, it was off. So I found the Noise Cancel function under Advanced Settings, changed the mic volume and there is a subtle difference. Is there suppose to be a subtle or significant difference in ambient noise? I'll have to try my train test next week, as a house may be to quite of an environment for noise canceling?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 AM

You're the man. Now I can comfortably wear this thing in the office. I've been wearing it tug inside my shirt all week and whenever I stand up, it pulls on the earphone.
As you already found out, the NC control will say "NC Off" when it's on. I found that it won't work well with human voices, but it worked quite well on fan noises
engine noises, etc. While driving with the windows down, I can hear some wind and engine noise with NC off. It was almost silent when NC is on (and music turned down to 0 volume). Same deal with a house fan blowing about 2 feet from my ear. All this with NC mic @50%. Not too bad.
How 'bout those new Sony's that're due out tomorrow? I might just get another one. I can really use 8GB, but I'll wait 'til Wed see what Apple is coming out with.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Yea, I just noticed that Sony USA has "re-released" their Walkman line, as the MP3 Walkman page was down forever... and to my surprise, I see the new NWZ line. Ouch, a few days late...

Anyway, I'm still happy with my purchase; it's small, it has a killer battery life, I like the controls, has noise canceling, and it's 4GB... all for $99. However, my next player with probably be the A818, when I have the money to lay down for more functionality, such as video.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Bump.

Anyone know if Sony USA can deny service for a foreign Sony model, Such as the 706 I have? The 4GB version was never released in the US (EU/JP) and there's been talk over @ ATRACLife that Sony can deny because it's not native to the US.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM

PLEASE HELP! I have just bought the nw 706 and used it for 2 days I find it great but a problem occured. I trued to remove the current songs and add other songs to the player but the transfer cannot be completed. There are no details for the error. I tried everything on the manual and I still could not transfer music to the player with sonic stage. I used the reset option, I formated the player, I even reinstalled the sonic stage. Please HELP!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealotry View Post
PLEASE HELP! I have just bought the nw 706 and used it for 2 days I find it great but a problem occured. I trued to remove the current songs and add other songs to the player but the transfer cannot be completed. There are no details for the error. I tried everything on the manual and I still could not transfer music to the player with sonic stage. I used the reset option, I formated the player, I even reinstalled the sonic stage. Please HELP!
Have you tried another computer? Do you have USB 2.0? Firewall?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Anyway to make it louder?

Is there any firmware or service mode way to make the 706 louder?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Are you serious? With the included headphones, 14 (the AVLS max) is quite enough! Do you have the AVLS volume cap on or not?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:39 PM

AVLS is off. It might be loud with the included ear bud, but try use any standard headphone and you'll see. I wonder if the US version of the firmware will work in this. Maybe the Euro version has volume limit?
Btw. I brought the A818 and wow that's a good player. Much louder and sounds much more open and clearer than the 706.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Default This worked for me

Had a similar problem recently with my 4gb player, reset the player, then formatted the drive through the contorls, and reinstalled sonicstage, now works fine.