android
Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Default On/Off/Hold switch problems

Hello, I have a problem that started off as an inconvenience and is quickly becoming a major problem. I have had my 30 gig Creative Zen Vision M for almost a year. In fact, it will be exactly a year on the 22nd of this month, not leaving much time if it has to be sent back. This is the FIRST problem I have had with the machine.

On Wednesday of this week, the switch to lock the player started feeling different. When I went from the middle position to the turning it on position, I could feel something, such as an out of place pin. Over the next few days I managed to put up with it and had gotten somewhat used to it when this Saturday it stopped going into the hold position altogether. I managed to use my teeth to get it into the lock position and it came out again fairly easily, however now it remains hard to lock the player. This causes a big problem because as you know, my battery will die faster if I can't lock the screen and I also cannot pocket my player without having it pause/stop/switch to next track,etcetera...

I have browsed this forum for the entire time I've had the Zen, gaining knowledge about the player from the insightful words of ZenChick and the others who have studied the Zen. But now, I have my first problem, forcing me to stop lurking and initiate posting. I hope someone reading this will be able to help me as I've fallen in love with this player and not only do they not make it anymore, but I don't even have the cash to get the new model or a Zune...

Please help!

Thank you,

Snick422

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM

maybe try taking it apart and see if you can find anything out of place, or if you don't want to do that..send it in ASAP

Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There may be something blocking it or part of the switch has broke. How do you feel about opening it up and checking?

Welcome to ABI Snick422!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
There may be something blocking it or part of the switch has broke. How do you feel about opening it up and checking?

Welcome to ABI Snick422!
thanks for the welcome. I don't know how to take it apart, but I suppose I could try. my only concern is losing what's on the HD. The switch has gotten a little bit better on the hold part. The on side is getting a bit weird. It's almost as if a pin was being pushed inside the thing each time I switched it. If the problem gets any worse I will take it apart and look, but as of now at least it works even if it's hard to use. I'd hate to end up having to use a knife or something after I open it and find out it's a broken piece. Thanks for your help. You too,Frodo.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Here is a video of a ZVM being disassembled for a hard drive replacement. You should see what you need to from it. You shouldn't loose any data as long as you keep the same hard drive. You're just opening it up for the switch. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
No problem. Here is a video of a ZVM being disassembled for a hard drive replacement. You should see what you need to from it. You shouldn't loose any data as long as you keep the same hard drive. You're just opening it up for the switch. Good luck!
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It definitely sounds like something may have gotten into the gaps in the switch and is gumming up the works. However, it could also be a mechanical problem within the switch assembly itself. If it turns out to be that, maybe a little blast with some electrical contact cleaner might be able to clean it out.