android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung T10

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Default SMS -> T10 doesn't keep album, artist, genres, anything ... do you just accept that?

I've recently got a YP-T10 but the combination of that and SMS doesn't seem to work right for downloads. (Config details below).

It does download songs, but the metadata doesn't come too. The metadata appears to be Ok in SMS (checked in MP3tag) but in the YP-T10 there's nothing.

I once managed to download some playlists but I'm not getting that any more (I've just forgotten how I did it - and I don't think that just playlists are sufficient).

Samsung UK support confirms that it doesn't work (yet .. maybe in a new revision of SMS sometime) so my question is ... does everyone just live with that, or is there a better solution for the download?

Samsung suggested using WMP for the music downloads but I haven't worked out whether the investment in time is worthwhile - I haven't got it to recognize OGG yet.

Thanks for any pointers here.
Geoff

Config
------
YP-T10JCB/XEU
Firmware YP-T10[MTP] 2.00
SMS 5.2.1.4

Last edited by gegard; 04-22-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: formatting

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

I use just regular Windows Explorer to put all my media on the T10. Navigate to it through My Computer, and T10 device, Internal Storage (if you have WMP11 installed), and just drag and drop your files to their folders, Music in Music, Text in Text, video in Video (re-encode in .avi format, Xvid or Divx codec, less than 1500 kbps video, mp3 audio 160 kbps or less, NO B FRAMES, and long side to 320 pixels. Then just rename to *.svi and pop into videos folder). I havent had a problem with ID3 tags this way. and Video quality is better than SMS's encoding, with a much smaller file size.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegard View Post
It does download songs, but the metadata doesn't come too.[...]
Samsung suggested using WMP for the music downloads but I haven't worked out whether the investment in time is worthwhile - I haven't got it to recognize OGG yet.
Track/Album/Artist-info in ogg files is supported in UMS/MSC mode (with the korean firmware). It failed to work in MTP mode for me as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pybcu View Post
Track/Album/Artist-info in ogg files is supported in UMS/MSC mode (with the korean firmware). It failed to work in MTP mode for me as well.
Ok, that's interesting, thanks. It shows that Samsung UK Support are right to expect SMS to be upgraded here too - eventually.

Regards, Geoff

Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolxen View Post
I use just regular Windows Explorer to put all my media on the T10. ... I havent had a problem with ID3 tags this way ...
I guess I'll have to recode music to .mp3 - WMP11 didn't seem to notice .ogg as installed and I haven't worked out which ogg plugin to use yet. (Actually I just realized that if I recode to .mp3 then SMS should also work Ok, shouldn't it? It's probably the firmware/format combination that's causing the problem!) Thank you.

Regards, Geoff

Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegard View Post
I guess I'll have to recode music to .mp3 - WMP11 didn't seem to notice .ogg as installed and I haven't worked out which ogg plugin to use yet. (Actually I just realized that if I recode to .mp3 then SMS should also work Ok, shouldn't it? It's probably the firmware/format combination that's causing the problem!) Thank you.

Regards, Geoff
Ahh, yes. My fault. Thought you were using MP3 format. Yes, the MTP firmwares dont like .ogg, and while 2.00 has support for it (i think), tags get messed up and dont display properly from what i've read. I believe 3.00 is supposed to fix this issue.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolxen View Post
Yes, the MTP firmwares dont like .ogg, and while 2.00 has support for it (i think),
Nah, the t10 could play ogg from the very beginning (with firmwares older than 1.55). The only thing that doesn't work is the tags (when using MTP).

An additional nuisance is that you cannot copy ogg files via the Windows Explorer, since it claimed to be not supported (Well, you could copy it to received files folder, but not to music). That probably depends on what version of Windows Media Player you have installed (since apparently newer versions allow you to ignore the "not supported" message and copy nevertheless) - didn't put any effort into that, since I intended to switch to UMS anyway.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pybcu View Post
Nah [...] The only thing that doesn't work is the tags (when using MTP)...
Ok, thank you all. That clarified most things for me. Use .mp3 for now, then switch to .ogg when firmware 3.00 with UMS (whatever that is - I must now check) is available in EU.

Interesting that Samsung isn't good at spelling out what is and isn't possible, nor what might or might not be coming along.

Regards, Geoff