android
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Default HELP - NWZ-A818 faulty ?

Hello,

I just purchased the NWZ-A818 & I'm having some problems. I'm not sure if the Walkman is faulty/buggy or my expectations are incorrect.

Can someone please help to answer following:

1. When i connect the walkman to my pc (xp sp2) - should the message 'connecting USB (MTP)' remain on the walkman whilst its connected ? Not change to 'connected' or something eventually ?

2. Whilst its connected to the PC, i can view & administer the songs already on the walkman with WMP11 or Monkeymedia but i cannot actually play them. Also i cannot see the associated album art that is already on the walkman with the mp3 tracks. Is this normal ?

3. I am experiencing strange slow downs/freezing when i the walkmnan is connected to the PC. I think its to do with the MTP drivers. Also Versclid.exe startups & slows things down.

4. XP applications stop responding in general whilst walkman is connected. IE fails to start up although can be seen sitting in the task manager process list. Attempt to install a new application will do the same. The setup will not start but the exe process is visible in the process list

5. What is the best manager to use with the walkman ? Sony Media Manager ?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy121 View Post
Hello,

I just purchased the NWZ-A818 & I'm having some problems. I'm not sure if the Walkman is faulty/buggy or my expectations are incorrect.

Can someone please help to answer following:

1. When i connect the walkman to my pc (xp sp2) - should the message 'connecting USB (MTP)' remain on the walkman whilst its connected ? Not change to 'connected' or something eventually ?

2. Whilst its connected to the PC, i can view & administer the songs already on the walkman with WMP11 or Monkeymedia but i cannot actually play them. Also i cannot see the associated album art that is already on the walkman with the mp3 tracks. Is this normal ?

3. I am experiencing strange slow downs/freezing when i the walkmnan is connected to the PC. I think its to do with the MTP drivers. Also Versclid.exe startups & slows things down.

4. XP applications stop responding in general whilst walkman is connected. IE fails to start up although can be seen sitting in the task manager process list. Attempt to install a new application will do the same. The setup will not start but the exe process is visible in the process list

5. What is the best manager to use with the walkman ? Sony Media Manager ?

Thanks
I will do my best to help you with each of the above points. I have the NWZ-A816 (should be the same as yours except it has 4GB of storage instead of 8GB).

1. Based on what I've seen, it is normal for the message "Connecting USB (MTP)" to remain on the player as long as it is connected to your computer. It will change to "Do not disconnect" (and an exclamation point will appear in the circle) whenever you are transferring data to/from the player.

2a. One possible reason you are having trouble playing the songs is that the music has not been put in the proper location on the player. If you open up your player via "My Computer" you will see a folder named "Music." That is where your audio files need to be placed.

2b. If you are using MediaMonkey, Windows Media Player, or Media Manager for Walkman, each program should automatically place the files into the correct location on your player. Also, you need to ensure that the music is in a format that the player supports (WMA, MP3, or WAV).

2c. Concerning album art, getting album art to display consistently has been a problem for many people (including myself). Based my own experience, if you want album art to display on your player you will need to embed the art into the MP3s ID3 tag. This can be done with the following programs: MP3Tag and MediaMonkey.

3. One possible reason for your problems with MTP could be that the proper MTP drive hasn't been installed on your computer. One of the reasons that the player requires Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 to be installed on your computer is that it will also install the proper MTP driver on your computer for use with your player. This driver was not available with WMP 10.

4. I can't assist you with this.

5a. I've used drag-and-drop, MediaMonkey, WMP 11, and Media Manager for Windows to manage the music on my player. Of these programs, I've found MediaMonkey works the best for me and it has many features that make managing music easy (such as selecting music and changing its rating just by hitting Alt and a number key).

5b. Drag-and-drop is probably the easiest way to get music on your player but I've found that some of the music information (such as the year) won't be displayed on your player (it will display as "Unknown"). Also, you can't use playlists with this method. This is also a limitation (no ability to make playlists) with Media Manager for Windows.

I hope that helps.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 AM

Thanks for your reply mate.
Sorry but I could not understand your responses to Q2.

1. When connected are you able to display the album art when browsing the tracks on the walkman through WMP11 or MM ?

2. When connected are you able to select a track on the Walkman & have it play through WMP11 or MM ?

I have formatted the player & reset it to default values. I have added new tracks with MM add added album art. They are working & the album art is visible when browsing tracks directly on the Walkman.

Another question - Does wmp11/MM resize the artwork so that it is a more efficient size as some of the downloaded artwork is sometimes quite large. I'm guessing all that is required is 320x200 in 16bit to do the job.

Thanks

Last edited by archy121; 05-21-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy121 View Post
Thanks for your reply mate.
Sorry but I could not understand your responses to Q2.

1. When connected are you able to display the album art when browsing the tracks on the walkman through WMP11 or MM ?

2. When connected are you able to select a track on the Walkman & have it play through WMP11 or MM ?

I have formatted the player & reset it to default values. I have added new tracks with MM add added album art. They are working & the album art is visible when browsing tracks directly on the Walkman.

Another question - Does wmp11/MM resize the artwork so that it is a more efficient size as some of the downloaded artwork is sometimes quite large. I'm guessing all that is required is 320x200 in 16bit to do the job.

Thanks
To tell you the truth, I've not tried playing the music files on my walkman via either WMP or MediaMonkey. I maintain a music library on my computer and (1) play my music from that library, and (2) use that as the source for the files that I put on my player via syncing through MediaMonkey.

My main concern with the files on my player is that the work properly on my player. This includes proper display of all of the file information and that the album art shows up consistently.

I haven't worried about the size of the album art that is embedded into my music files. What I have noticed is that if the file size is below a certain size it will appear shrunken when I view the album art from within the song. One of the things that I hope Sony does is allow you to not show the album art at all and replace the image with other information from the song (what currently shows up when you show the song's detailed information).