android
Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Any News

I thought it would be a good idea to post all news about the Zen Share here for people following it up.. and for there to be as little conversation as possible to avoid an overly lengthy thread..

I'll start it off with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epizenter.net
I haven't heard so much as a peep from Creative about their upcoming lineup, but thankfully I have some insiders who are happy to pass along some information. They've just provided me with some good news, and some bad news. So what do you want to read first? The good news is, I was just told the name of Creative's upcoming WiFi player: It will be called the "Zen Share". I don't have any more details than that, but from the name alone you can tell that Creative is creating some form of WiFi sharing, that's likely similar to what Microsoft is doing with the Zune. I just hope it isn't as limited as Zune to Zune sharing.

Now for the bad news: the Zen Share won't be released in March as was previously planned. It's been delayed till May/June. We still may see it announced at CeBIT 2008, which will take place from March 4th -9th, but I said the same thing in January for CES '08. As usual, this information is merely a rumor until it's confirmed, so keep that in mind when discussing it!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 AM

from epiZENter's source on the thread hes posting on:
new zen might not be called share.
new zen WILL have touch screen.
new zen will have different wifi capabilities than the zune which according to the source are "very cool"
first time he said it's probably gonna have x-fi, then he said that it will not.

he seems to have been a very reliable source about most things, usually screws up on release dates due to creative's change of plans..

he claims that in his opinion the new zen is going to be a high end player which will replace the ZVW(although he says he has no clue if it's gonna be hdd of flash)

Old 03-20-2008, 04:32 AM

Default New Zen planned for early summer release

w00t, a creative rep who actually knows something and is willing to SHARE!
http://epizenter.net/e107_plugins/fo...c.php?163111.0

so it WILL have a large screen, can we hope for good codec support like the vision series? i sure do think so... even creative can't be stupid enough to ignore that it was one of their major selling points with the zvm...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hope i'm not violating any rules here.. all credit is given (click on arrow next to name to go to original post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eredor View Post
03-20-2008, 04:32 AM EST
w00t, a creative rep who actually knows something and is willing to SHARE!
http://epizenter.net/e107_plugins/fo...c.php?163111.0

so it WILL have a large screen, can we hope for good codec support like the vision series? i sure do think so... even creative can't be stupid enough to ignore that it was one of their major selling points with the zvm...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 AM

omg XFI!!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some more news from Epizenter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epizenter.net

It's been a little while since I told you about the Zen Share and I know some of you are dying to hear more about it. Keep in mind that nothing that I write below has been confirmed by Creative and should be taken as just a rumor for now (i.e. don't get your hopes too high/low!). So here we go:

Zen Share is now ZEN X-Fi

First, the player that this site broke to everyone as the Zen Share will apparently go under a different name. I've been told that it will be called the ZEN X-Fi. The name should give you a hint about one of the players main capabilities, Creative's Xtreme Fidelity technology.

What does it look like?

If I'm to believe my source, the Zen X-Fi will look a lot like the Creative ZEN. It's said to come in different colors and have a "silver backing", My source only saw the player briefly but mentioned a button on the left side of the player that reminded him of the iPod touch (or iPhone for that matter). Whether the device is touchscreen is still unknown.

Will it still have Wi-Fi?

Yes! Wi-Fi is still onboard. The big question is what it will be used for. I was told of two functions, one that sounds realistic, the other not so much. It seems like Creative may be using the same sharing scheme as the Zune, allowing for a 3-day time limit for shared songs. The other use of Wi-Fi is for internet messaging through services like MSN messenger. Sounds a bit far-fetched to me, but I'm just the messenger here!

HD or Flash?

I know many here will be disappointed, but it seems it inevitable that Creative will stick with flash memory for the foreseeable future. Like the ZEN, the ZEN X-Fi will come in 8, 16, and 32GB models. With the arrival of this new player, the regular ZEN will only be offered in sizes of 4 and 8GB's. If it really is like the ZEN then we'll see an SD expansion slot too (hopefully with SD integration this time!).

I hope this info was worth the wait! Every word above might turn out to be completely inaccurate, but I'd like to hear your impressions on the rumored Zen X-Fi. Additionally, I was told that Creative is working on a Zen V replacement. I'm assuming something in the lower range, with a 2" screen or so. We'll try and keep everyone up to date on that player, and any other news from Creative.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting! Disappointing that it won't be an inherently high-capacity player, but if they fix the SD integration issues plaguing the Zens, that may be a moot point.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If that is the reason, and they do fix the SD integration issues, I wonder if it will be across the board for the new line of Zen players.... Perhaps a corresponding announcement for a new firmware release the same time the X-Fi is released?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Interesting! Disappointing that it won't be an inherently high-capacity player, but if they fix the SD integration issues plaguing the Zens, that may be a moot point.
A high-capacity player would be very nice. My 30GB ZVM is almost full (27GB). I dont think i would purchase a player that had less then 30GB now (after having so much space), so even if it did have full SD integration without the problems (although it would be cool ), I wouldnt want to be forking out more money for more space.

Also i hope the Wi-Fi allows you to browse the web

Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Posted Wednesday, April 16
Quote:
electronista
While a Zune-like feature for sharing music between ZENs is still discussed as part of the division, the new update claims that instant messaging is also one of the new features, though this aspect is disputed as there is no current mention of a touchscreen or built-in keyboard.

The design itself is believed to take its visual cues from the standard ZEN (shown) but with a metallic or metal-like back and the introduction of multiple colors to the front, replacing the all-black shade of the of the original.

A release date is still unknown, although past reports have targeted a launch within the next two months and are now joined by claims that the player will continue to use flash-based storage, with 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB versions. A sequel to the more traditional Zen V is also thought to be in the works but hasn't been leaked aside from its existence.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM

"the player will continue to use flash-based storage, with 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB versions."

How many freaking flash based players does Creative think they can have out at one time?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

one source says it looks like an ipod touch, the other like a zen.. somebody needs to clear up the rumors because I hope it looks more like the ipod touch than the zen.

but..... I hope they give it more than 32GB.. I can only dream for a 64gb flash player...

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Default "Creative ditches Zen Share WiFi"

http://www.electronista.com/articles...hare.scrapped/

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...lled-share.php

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

o dang. well, i hope whatever they're gonna put out isn't completely different from what i've been hearing anyways

Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the Zen Share is no more, there's no point keeping this thread open. Any news regarding the release of the Share's replacement will be posted here.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/27/c...ght-be-in-the/

Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 PM

That's disappointing, I couldn't wait for the Zen Share to come out. Oh well, my ZVM player broke so I guess I should wait until the new X-Fi player comes out to see how it runs. I hope they still produce it some time soonish...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Should be within the next two months. Of course, the operative word here is should.