android
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Samsung T10 battery life

Hi

I just purchased the T10 about a week ago, and I'm very happy with it, except I've noticed that the battery life doesn't appear to be anywhere near the stated 30 hours...It's seems like it's closer to 15 hours. I've noticed that the review on this site says that it's 15 hours, but on Amazon and other sites they quote it as 30 hours. I can't imagine Samsung putting out an mp3 player with only 15 hours battery life. Also my Z5 had 30-35 hours battery life.

I'm thinking of taking the T10 back to Future Shop where I got it, and getting a new one, but I'm not sure if it's just my player or if the battery life really is only 15 hours.

I just checked Samsung's web site and it says 30 hours on their site, so I might just take my T10 back and exchange it for a new one.

Has anyone else experienced a really short battery life with their T10?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Samsung Moderator

It depends on the test conditions.
For the samsung test, it was probably with wma 128kbps/s and screen off.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
It depends on the test conditions.
For the samsung test, it was probably with wma 128kbps/s and screen off.

Well with my Z5 that I've been using for the last year, (at least 5 days a week, close to 8 hours a day at work) I was getting close to the stated 30hrs, and I never listen to music at less than 192kb/s (mp3).

Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM

I just realized that the T10 has a brightness control like my Z5. Turning that brightness all the way down seems to have solved the battery life problem that I was having. I used it today for about 6 hours and only lost 1 out of 4 bars on the battery display right at the 6th hour, so it would seem that I would get at least 24 hours out of it. Turning the brightness down on my Z5 also dramatically improved it's battery life per charge as well.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Page Samsung Says...

If you go onto the link below this, on the sasmung website it sasy that battery life is 30 hours..

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/m...Specifications

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 AM

I would say that the 'pendant' menu screen would use up less energy than the 'sammy dog' menu screen, as the pendant one has more use of black colour which ultimately consumes less energy.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 AM

Might pay to ensure you turn Bluetooth off if using wired phones.

Is it possible to set a default to do that rather than always having to do it manually upon each restart?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmonkee View Post
Might pay to ensure you turn Bluetooth off if using wired phones.

Is it possible to set a default to do that rather than always having to do it manually upon each restart?
On my player bluetooth's ALWAYS off. by standard.

you must not open the bluetooth menu, because then bluetooth automatically turns on and you have to deactivate it manually.

if you let the bluetoothmenu "alone", once deactivated it will be always off until you open the bluetoothmenu again.

so where's the problem

Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
On my player bluetooth's ALWAYS off. by standard.

you must not open the bluetooth menu, because then bluetooth automatically turns on and you have to deactivate it manually.
Very Interesting! Where did you ascertain that it was opening the Bluetooth menu activated Bluetooth. I couldn't find anything, and when I opened the Menu there it was turned 'On'

Ok Thanks .. so I take your meaning and not turn it on by opening the Menu.

Last edited by Buzzmonkee; 06-05-2008 at 06:34 AM.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Very Interesting! Where did you ascertain that it was opening the Bluetooth menu activated Bluetooth. I couldn't find anything, and when I opened the Menu there it was turned 'On'

Ok Thanks .. so I take your meaning and not turn it on by opening the Menu.
when bt is deactivated and you open the bt-menu, you get a short infomessage "bluetooth activated!". and a little bluesymbol appears on top of the display. you can't see it when you're in main menu, but when playing music, browsing options and so on.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
open the bt-menu, you get a short infomessage "bluetooth activated!"
On mine I get a black screen with white text an i inside a circle ⓘ then stating 'Bluetooth is On' ... not 'activated' ! I thought it was a statement of current state not acknowlegment of active process taken place.

Quote:
a little bluesymbol appears on top of the display. you can't see it when you're in main menu, but when playing music, browsing options
Ok thanks will keep my eye out for the difference

Edit: Back onto topic of Battery Life ... heh

Last edited by Buzzmonkee; 06-05-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
On mine I get a black screen with white text an i inside a circle ⓘ then stating 'Bluetooth is On' ... not 'activated' !
you're right, my fault.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodgic View Post
I would say that the 'pendant' menu screen would use up less energy than the 'sammy dog' menu screen, as the pendant one has more use of black colour which ultimately consumes less energy.
Are you sure? I think this would only be right for the old CRT monitors.
Okay so let's see if I can explain that in english
The CRT needs the energy for producing rays which enlight chemical substances behind the monitors glass. If there are no rays these substances will stay black, which means a black CRT doesn't need any energy.
A TFT panel like the one in the T10 works in a different way. You always have a white backlight and a thin panel with liquid crystals in front of it. The colour you can see on the screen depends on the angle these crystals are turned. If you turn them completely they won't let any light through and the panel appears black, but the backlight is still on and consumes a lot of power.
So the most effective way saving energy with a TFT panel is setting the brightness to a low level
The reason why the T10's battery life could really also depend on the theme is that the sammy-theme probably uses more CPU-power because of the more complex animations... It should also help to turn the animated playscreens off.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Agreed f-rouz, on an LCD it takes energy to make black...a white screen will use less power because the LCD is not activated and is just letting through the backlight..
However, the power draw of the LCD itself is negligible when compared to the power draw from the backlight, the amplification process and the file access/decode process.