android
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Got a T-10 as a gift

My husband received a T-10 as a gift today. The rest of the family have iPods and iTunes.
Yes, I know this is "anythingbutipod" but I was hoping someone could tell me whether we can install the programs that come with the T-10 and use the T-10 on the same computer without there being some compatability issues.
I should mention that the T-10 was preloaded with some songs by the group that gifted my husband with this player.
Thanks for any help for newbies to this!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Default adding...

I have Music Match Jukebox on this computer. Can I add music to the T-10 using that rather than installing another music manager?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 PM

Hi WisconsinMom and Welcome,

iTunes should work for you with the T-10, with a caveat... if your computer is a Mac, the answer is no. iTunes for Windows will work fine though. Haven't used MusicMatch for years, wouldn't be my favorite choice either... but give it a try, you shouldn't experience any overly difficult issues that can't be ironed out..

As a side note, transferring any music from iTunes, if it was purchased through the iTunes Store, will most likely not work on your T-10 (due to restrictions).

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks, Utew...I can't quite figure out how to use iTunes with the T-10, other than to convert all the AAC songs to mp3's...then, I open up Music Match, attach the T-10 and transfer the mp3's. It has worked fine so far! My husband isn't computer literate, so if I put the songs he wants on the T-10, he'll be happy.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM

The T10 should be able to read the AAC files.. Provided the T10 has the latest firmware.
Samsung Media Studio (SMS) is a nice piece of easy to use software, it will take care of upgrading firmware for your T10 (just like iTunes does for the iPod). and sync's your music too.
You should be able to point it to your iTunes Music Library and have it add all the tracks in the iTunes library to SMS without altering the iTunes Library.
I'd recommend SMS over Musicmatch any day..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
You should be able to point it to your iTunes Music Library and have it add all the tracks in the iTunes library to SMS without altering the iTunes Library.
I'd recommend SMS over Musicmatch any day..
Agreed .. SMS just soft links to the music files in the iTunes folders and transfers them to the T10. iTunes Store purchases (.m4p) will not play - but other AAC (.m4a) will play ... but not all their identifying tags (other than individual track names) will work so it
Might pay to create Album/Artist folders via SMS on the T10 and then batch transport the relevant files (from the listings in SMS) into them.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmonkee View Post
Agreed .. SMS just soft links to the music files in the iTunes folders and transfers them to the T10. iTunes Store purchases (.m4p) will not play - but other AAC (.m4a) will play ... but not all their identifying tags (other than individual track names) will work so it
Might pay to create Album/Artist folders via SMS on the T10 and then batch transport the relevant files (from the listings in SMS) into them.
Thanks for the info. So far, all the identifying info is transferring fine using MusicMatch after I convert the songs I want from AAC to mp3. Artists and Albums and Genre all transfer. I haven't tried purchases songs as yet.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 PM

There isn't any reason that SMS should conflict with iTunes or our other iPods when we connect them, should there? I wouldn't think so since it's never been a problem with MusicMatch.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Because the T10 is NOT an Ipod you are also able to transfer your music without any special software, just using the Windows Explorer...

Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-rouz View Post
Because the T10 is NOT an Ipod you are also able to transfer your music without any special software, just using the Windows Explorer...
Really? I haven't tried that. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-rouz View Post

Okay, I tried it. Didn't work. For some reason, when I pulled up the music in iTunes in Explorer, the icon showed them as being quicktime movies!
I tried transferring one. It appeared on the T10, but when trying to play, it said the music file was unsupported.
I think I'll stick with adding using Music Match or Windows Media Player.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:40 PM

I didn't realize that Music Match is no longer supported...but I can do the same thing using WMP. Still can't transfer anything converted using AAC though. Must be mp3 or other audio file.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Again: You need the latest firmware for AAC-support on the T10!
That means go to the samsung download center at samsung.com and download the v3.03 firmware - if you aren't sure how to install it, there's a manual for upgrading the firmware too.
Because the older firmwares don't support AAC you can use any software you want for transfering these files to the player, it willl never work without encoding them to .mp3.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Thanks f-rouz for your help. Would sure make it easier if we didn't have to convert before transferring to the T-10. My husband actually hasn't shown much interest in the mp3 player. I think my son may confiscate it if he doesn't. He really likes it.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 AM

I guess I'm going to have to install the SMS. I downloaded the latest firmware and followed the directions (printed them out) and when I drag the unzipped downloaded files and drag them to T10>Internal Storage, it doesn't allow me to drop them there. I have the circle with the line through it rather than the + sign. (I have WMP11)