android
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Default playback garbled and at high speed!

History: Zen was great, no problems for year+. Then had recovery mode issues because the hard drive connection was not 100%. A bump got the HD going again and seemed to be fine! Just a few days later started doing the following:

During song playback, after 5 seconds, FM comes on for 1 sec, then goes back to the song but starts playing faster, the scrollbar accelerates until the last few secs, where it hangs. Sometimes, the FM doesn't always come on.

Also, when scrolling through the library, a selected song might randomly play.

Also, the videos play at normal speed, but the sound is garbled, like voices were spoken under water.

I thought the control might be stuck, but if I quickly put the lock on, it still speeds up.

I have just formatted the drive, downloaded and ran the creative recovery tool, reinstalling the firmware. I added one song, and still get the same problem, except I haven't tried a video yet.

I have opened the zen up, the HD is still screwed in, and I haven't taken the control buttons off (need a smaller screwdriver).....

Any thoughts? Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe the drive is finally giving up on you. Since the firmware is stored on the hard drive, a failing drive could give you issues like you are having; especially if you have already reloaded the firmware and continue to have the problem.<o></o>
<o></o>
When you did reload the firmware, did you boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option so that it will erase the currently installed firmware (in case it is corrupt) before reinstalling? Reinstalling the firmware over top an existing corrupt firmware could possibly leave you with the same issues. That is why it is important to do it from the Recovery Mode in situations like this; so that nothing corrupt remains for the new firmware load.<o></o>

Zen FAQ

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Default curiouser and curiouser

I am having a hard time getting it to reboot in recovery mode. It just goes straight to play mode or docked-charging mode...

New Info:

When the headphones are not plugged in, it appears to (almost) play normal. Of course, I can't hear it, but it doesn't speed up drastically- Instead, looking at the track time, I see it plays every third second fast. I mean it goes 1, 2, then skips to 3 too fast... 4, 5, then skips to 6 too fast. Then if I plug headphones in while playing, it either skips to FM mode or shuts down!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like there might be a bent/broken remote connector pin in the headphone jack
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboticpaperclip View Post
When the headphones are not plugged in, it appears to (almost) play normal. Of course, I can't hear it, but it doesn't speed up drastically- Instead, looking at the track time, I see it plays every third second fast. I mean it goes 1, 2, then skips to 3 too fast... 4, 5, then skips to 6 too fast. Then if I plug headphones in while playing, it either skips to FM mode or shuts down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
Sounds like there might be a bent/broken remote connector pin in the headphone jack
Yeah, could be. Some players have a 4th pin for remote control connection that could be shorting out and causing the problems you are having. It could also be a cold solder joint(s) on the headphone jack.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-27-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Seconded. Definitely sounds like a problem involving the 4th pin, which carries wired remote signals to the player.

Try plugging the player into a stereo using the A/V Out jack on the player's dongle, and see if it makes a difference. The "skipping every 3rd second" thing you describe when there's no headphones plugged in sounds more like the known issue where the elapsed time display does not refresh smoothly. It is strictly a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect actual playback though, and has been an issue with the ZVM since Day 1.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Try plugging the player into a stereo using the A/V Out jack on the player's dongle, and see if it makes a difference.
Good idea. Also, Roboticpaperclip, do you notice if the headphone jack feels or looks loose at all when you insert or have your headphones plugged in? Does wiggling it around cause any additional skipping or noticeably induced behavior?

Zen FAQ

Tags
fast playback, garbled, hard drive, recovery mode