android
Old 10-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Bookmarks?

I recently bought the 8GB Pilot to use with audio books. It does have a bookmarking feature but it does not work the way I would expect. Most of my audio books consist of multiple files under a single folder. If I start playing a book it will normally display 1 of n above the name of the artist. Pressing the > will take you to the next file in the folder. If you bookmark the current spot and then try to reload it, it will start playing but now it will say 1 of 1 and will not advance to the next file in the folder. This is true of both audio books and music files that are stored in folders. This make the bookmarking feature useless unless all your audio books consist of a single file. I have tried this both with audio books with playlists and without. It exhibits the same behavior if you use the folder browser to select a book or music. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Can anyone confirm this please?
Do Audible DRM books also break playlist bookmarks?
This is more than a bug!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

This was discussed on Dapreview, it is by design and not a bug and in the discussion it was mixed on which was was the better implementation. Throw it on Tobey's list and we will see if it warrants an update.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Hey Digitaldel,

I've seen your name on several messages and you seem very familiar with these players. All I really need for the Pilot to do is that when it finishes playing a file just start playing the next file in the folder. This seems like it should be the default behavior and I don't see the advantage in not behaving this way. I have been using Cowon products for my audio books and they all just start playing the next file in the folder.

I like the design of the Pilot and it has twice the memory of the D2 for the about the same price but I use my players almost exclusively for audio books. Which thread are you refering to on dapreview? Do you know if a firmware update is planned to change this behavior? Who is the Tobey you mentioned and where is his list at? Thanx for any help you can give me.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 PM

OK, after reading some more on dapreview I see that your are apparently part of the design team so you are definitely the guy I need to talk to. First let me say that I think you guys got a lot of things right with this player. The features that really attracted me were the bookmarking, the user replaceable battery and the memory size. My problem is with the way bookmarking and the folder browser work (I think this two things might be related). When you load a bookmark or you browse to a file the player will only play that one file (it doesn't matter if the file is part of an audio book or part of an album of music). You mentioned that there was some discussion about that on dapreview and that there was some back and forth as to how it should work. I couldn't find the thread that you were talking about. I can't for the life of me think what the possible advantage is in having a bookmark or a file browser that will only work for a single file. Can you tell me why it works that way?

I really like this player and don't want to take it back. Do you think there will be a firmware update that might change this behavior?

As an aside, is there any chance Insignia would ever put out a SDK for their players? I think you might be surprised at the features that people would come up with. Rockbox is keeping alot of older mp3 players on the market because of its features and programmability.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM

I agree concerning bookmarks retaining the current playlist and track position. In my experience only the Cowon and Rio players do bookmarking properly. Both restore the list of tracks being played. This is perfect for album and audiobook listening.

I just purchased the Pilot and still plan to keep it because of the many features including bluetooth stereo, SD card slot, FM radio, and recording. I use the Motorola S705 bluetooth stereo headset to listen to my HP notebook with tv tuner, my Samsung Blackjack, and the Pilot.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 AM

Well it appears that we need to look at implementing this, please add it to Tobey's list of new feature requests just so that we can see how many others want this too.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Where can I find Tobeys list? Is this the list of requested features for NS-DVxG? Thats for a different player isn't it?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 PM

It's the only sticky in this subforum, you can find it here

Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Thanx. I will do that. If there are any other Pilot owners out there that want this feature you need to go the the link above and add your vote to mine. If enough people ask for this feature it may be implemented in the next firmware update.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM

I love my 8gb Pilot, but I've noticed something really bad with bookmarking. Other than the whole "doesn't remember the playlist" thing, I've got mp3 audiobooks arranged in folders on my 2gb SD card.

If I bookmark a file in one of these folders, it creates the bookmark with the name of a seemingly random file on my player (sometimes the internal memory, sometimes the card). It stores the data properly; if I load the bookmark, it opens the correct file at the correct place, but the name in the bookmark list is entirely wrong.

When I had these files in the Audible folder on the internal memory, bookmarking worked fine (within the parameters others have reported regarding the replaying of the playlist), but when I moved them to the SD card so that I could pop it out so they wouldn't be included on a random play of my music, the bookmarking "broke".

Advice?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Maybe someday MP3 designers will come out of the 1950's and design players for what they are actually used for. Audiobooks have been around for years and there is a new MP3 player out every the rmonth it seems yet the Engineers are asleep at the wheel and won't implement bookmarks. Laziness?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM

I too mostly ( 95% ) use my 8gb Isnigna for Audiobooks - with no problem at all - it really all depends on how the ID3 tags. Make SURE the tags are correct, and that it has the "track", "Album" and "Author" info on them. I also make sure that when I transfer the books over to the unit that the books are in seperate folders.

I have had great luck using MP3 Book Helper ( http://mp3bookhelper.sourceforge.net/ ) for setting these.

Once they are correct, I have no problem with the tracks playing in the correct order... my ONLY problem is that when I connect to my PC to either charge the player, or to add more content, the player loses it's place! The ONLY audio files that don;t do this is books from Audible - don't know why!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 AM

The problem is not playing the files in the correct order but the problem is that setting a bookmark and then reloading that bookmark resets the player's "memory" I guess you could call it and what was previously 1 book with 10 files is then showing "file 1 of 1" and you cannot even move forward to the next file in the sequence and it does not matter if all the right tags are assigned and if all files are in a separate folder - playing files works great, bookmarking works great, but reloading a bookmark and continuing in the sequence simply does not!
B.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM

I have figured out a work around so that I can use bookmarks with my audio books from overdrive. I just bookmark one of the tracks in the book by pressing the rating button. When I play the bookmark it only shows the one track the bookmark was in, but I can then go to the book in the music folder and use add to now playing. It only ads the missing files to the book. It looks like if the track was in the middle I may have to skip forward through the previous tracks after it is finished playing. example I bookmark in track 4. go back later to play the bookmark, while it is playing I add the rest of the book to now playing. When track 4 is done it goes to track 1, I skip forward through tracks 1 2 and 3 to 5 and continue listening. Took me reading a few listings to figure out how to make this work. It is actually pretty simple, even though my explanation may be long. I've only used this in testing to see if it would work, but I'm looking forward to being able to save my spot in my books when I'm starting to fall asleep or when I want to listen to some music. I have also found once I load and overdrive book to the player it doesn't expire and if anyone "fixes" it I'll be really pissed.