android
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Problem moving/renaming files

I've owned a Vision:M for several months now and am very happy with it but have been trying recently to organise the music/audio files so that they are easy to find. For example I have a series of 6 BBC CDs which when I uploaded them stored themselves into various artist folders - BBC, BBC Radio and BBC Radio Collection. I'd like to amalgamate these into a single folder but that's where the trouble starts. Using the Zen Media Explorer I've re-organised the files as required but have been unable to upload the changes to the Zen; I get the same result using WMP 11.
I've tried changing tag names (presumably the source of the original problem) using WMP but it won't let me edit the tags. I've downloaded MP3tag and this doesn't even see the Zen.
I'm convinced I'm doing something stupid as I did manage to rename some music files using the Media Explorer and these changes uploaded to the Zen without problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You won't be able to directly edit the tags of the files already on the ZVM. You will either have to edit/correct the files on your computers' hard drive and re-sync (if you are syncing) or remove the files on the ZVM, edit/correct the tags on the computers' hard drive, and then copy or sync them to the ZVM. I usually go with the second option because of issues with the changes sometimes not taking.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM

That would explain why I've been having so much trouble! Many thanks.

David

Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good luck and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
ABI Invaluable

Since you indicated that you have WMP11 installed, you should consider uninstalling the Creative software suite and using either WMP11 itself to manage your player's library, another third-party library manager such as MediaMonkey, or even just direct drag-and-drop through Windows Explorer. One advantage to using WMP11 is that you can make tag changes to your files, and the changes will automatically propagate to your player at next sync. If you choose to use drag-and-drop instead, then you will need to ensure that your files' ID3 tags are good. Using a utility like MP3Tag can really help here.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I've managed to make a lot of changes to my wayward music files as suggested by BobbyRS and, to be honest can probably put up with the few problems that remain. Now I know what is required I can vet any new music files before uploading them.

Many thanks for everybody's help.

David

Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice job Vermuyden. Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Zen FAQ