android
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Help Stuck in Recovery Mode

My new 2g Zen Plus is stuck on the "Cleanup/Format All/Reload Firmware/Reboot" screen. I've cleaned reloaded & rebooted over & over with no results. I've even used the Reset pinhole trick but it won't get away from that screen. PLEASE, how do i solve this so I can finally put music on it???

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you get any error messages when you selected Cleanup or Format? When you selected Reload Firmware, did you connect to the computer and load the new firmware? Does you computer still see the Zen V Plus (Device Manager loading the driver correctly, can see it under My Computer as a Portable Device, and the sync software like WMP see it)? How about using the Recovery Tool to reload the firmware...

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Having the same problem. Tried the recovery tool. It seems to do nothing more than update the firmware which does not seem to be the problem as it did not help it.

Reset button won't do it.

Trying to run down the battery. That is the only idea I have left. HELP

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello dwstraile. So when it turns on, it boots directly into Recovery Mode? The only two reasons this should happen is if their is no firmware loaded or if the flash memory is bad. You mentioned that you have reloaded the firmware with no issue? Do you get any error messages when you do a Format, Cleanup, or Firmware Reload?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Hello Bobby: We had music loaded on it so it should not be a firmware issue? When I run clean up it just says scan disc for a second and then backs out. Have not tried to hit format to avoid risk of losing music but I do have most of it backed up. Will give that a try if you think it is worth a shot.

I never really hit firmware reload since I updated it via the web and recovery tool. Should I try that also?

Had it half way full of music so at least at one point it had working flash memory. This happened on the first recharge of the battery.

Thanks so much for helping out.

Also, it does not shut off. Not sure if that is relevant.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Have not received any error message yet

Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
We had music loaded on it so it should not be a firmware issue?
Firmware can become corrupted, so it is possible.

Quote:
When I run clean up it just says scan disc for a second and then backs out.
Backs out to Recovery Mode or to an error?

Quote:
Also, it does not shut off. Not sure if that is relevant.
Yes, it is. It sounds like it is just froze or has a faulty battery or power circuit. The Zen V series is famous for this problem. So does it reset/restart, but not power off?

If this is recently purchased (it sounds like is since this was the first charge), then I would consider replacing it for another from where you purchased from.

If for some reason it can't be replaced, then consider sending it to Creative for repair:

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

If for some reason it can't even be sent in for warranty service and if you are ok with opening it up, here are a couple of videos of the disassembly here and here. I believe one will show you how to reset it if it is not turning it off. Again, only try this if your warranty is expired. Otherwise, you can wait for the battery to run down just enough for it to power off and then plug it in for charging directly afterwards.

Quote:
Thanks so much for helping out.
No problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Goes back to recovery mode after disc scan - which does not really scan - no error message

The only time it appears to shut off is when the reset botton is hit. Then when it is turned on it goes right to recovery mode. Otherwise, you push the off slide down but it never gets to the shut off screen.

I just bought it from the creative online site so I think they would exchange with no problem if necessary.

Could this be the situation where letting the battery run out could work? I have read it does sometimes. Or, is this just to easy to be true. You mentioned it but not sure if you were saying this could actually cure it.

Last edited by dwstraile; 07-07-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From the sound of it, I don't think draining the battery is going to help. Depleting the battery would only fix a hung processor, but the player is clearly responsive. Instead, it sounds like the firmware load is bad, or - worse - that the bootloader ROM is bad.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like your best bet is to return it for a replacement.

Quote:
Could this be the situation where letting the battery run out could work?Could this be the situation where letting the battery run out could work?
You mention that you can already get it to power off by hitting the Reset, so letting the power drain to the point it powers off, charge, and then power it back on will most likely get you the same result; booting back into Recovery Mode. So, no. It doesn't look like it will help you here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 AM

OK, probably going to try two more things first: try to reload firmware in recovery mode - maybe this will do something different then updating firmware and then try format all in recovery mode. If neither works, back to creative. Thanks all. I hate to send things back but your advice about the warranty is well taken and probably prevented me from going in and possibly doing damage.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
OK, probably going to try two more things first: try to reload firmware in recovery mode - maybe this will do something different then updating firmware and then try format all in recovery mode. If neither works, back to creative. Thanks all.
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes.

Quote:
I hate to send things back but your advice about the warranty is well taken and probably prevented me from going in and possibly doing damage.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM

SUCCESS! I deleted the firmware in the recovery mode rather than merely updating it by the firmware update or the recovery tool.

Therefore, my conclusion is there was a firmware problem that needed to be erased and that the update and recovery tool only updated certain portions and failed to remove and replace the problem.

Thanks all, especially BobbyRS - who provided some great, fast help.

Don't think I will send it back to creative at this point. This maybe a mistake but it really seems like I got it.

Let me know if anyone disagrees.

Thanks again to this site!

Thanks to you too Zenchick. You were right on also. Firmware was the problem. Can't believe the recovery tool did not fix it.

You agree that I seem to be good to go now?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-13-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
SUCCESS! I deleted the firmware in the recovery mode rather than merely updating it by the firmware update or the recovery tool.
Alright, good to hear!

Quote:
Thanks all, especially BobbyRS - who provided some great, fast help.
No problem at all.

Maybe use the crap out of it for a couple of days to test it out. If all goes good, I think you are set. If not, send it in for repair/replacement. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM

What a great site. I never would have fixed my Zen without it! Bill Gates would hate it, ha, ha.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes it is. As would Steve Jobs.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-14-2008 at 02:14 PM.