android
  #21  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post

By the way, the "TV!" message is not an error message. It's informing you that the TV is now the display. The Pilot freezes the LCD because it can't drive both at once.
Thanks for the information. It is helpful to know what it is suppose to do

It would be nice if there were more videos showing how to use some of these features. Don't you think that DVD A/V RCA plug should have worked even with me swapping the red, white, and yellow separate times in the video port (hole) in the TV? I played the video first, then turned the TV out button on, I believe it should have worked one of those times. Don't you? That A/V cable works for my Yahoo DVD player.

Last edited by leo3; 03-26-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
Yes, the Pilot does indeed use the iPod pinout. The reason you can "hear video" through all of the plugs when using a standard camcorder cable is because the video and ground pins are swapped (cute trick, Apple...).

But, if you don't care about your cable, you can hack it (literally) to work with the Pilot. You need to cut the video cable (yellow) and simply swap the wires inside around. Then you must clip the ground wires in the audio cables (red and white) or else it will short out the video signal, and your TV may not like that too much... (Audio will still work; it will get ground from the video cable).
I disagree with this for two reasons. 1. My setup works great on several sets and with several different "standard" camcorder a/v cables. and 2. The pinouts described here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...mm-pinouts.php
conflict with your statement above.

Perhaps there is another reason regarding setup, or a damaged jack, or a cable that is almost standard, but anyone should be able to get video out of a Pilot using the methods I described above and a standard 4 pole to A/V plug cable.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
I disagree with this for two reasons. 1. My setup works great on several sets and with several different "standard" camcorder a/v cables. and 2. The pinouts described here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...mm-pinouts.php
conflict with your statement above.

Perhaps there is another reason regarding setup, or a damaged jack, or a cable that is almost standard, but anyone should be able to get video out of a Pilot using the methods I described above and a standard 4 pole to A/V plug cable.
I have 3 lines on my cable. So are you saying that doesn't work?
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
digitalq digitalq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
I have 3 lines on my cable. So are you saying that doesn't work?
3 lines is correct.

4 pole refers to the plug. You will see 3 plastic rings and 4 conductive surfaces on the plug, just like in the illustration I linked to above. They are for video, left and right audio and ground.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Tobey's Avatar
Tobey Tobey is offline
Insignia Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
I disagree with this for two reasons. 1. My setup works great on several sets and with several different "standard" camcorder a/v cables. and 2. The pinouts described here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...mm-pinouts.php
conflict with your statement above.

Perhaps there is another reason regarding setup, or a damaged jack, or a cable that is almost standard, but anyone should be able to get video out of a Pilot using the methods I described above and a standard 4 pole to A/V plug cable.
Okay, disregard my post if using a camcorder cable. I didn't realize they also had different pinouts... If it truly is a camcorder cable, it looks like you can simply swap jacks around, like you said.

But if you "hear video" no matter what plug you try, it means you probably don't have a standard camcorder cable. You have one of the Zen Vision type cables. So you may want try my suggestion above (if you don't mind cutting you cable up, that is).
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM
jimpen jimpen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Default Griffin 'HomeConnect'

FYI - I just bought a Griffin A/V cable - the 'HomeConnect' - from my local Fry's for $15+tax and it works no problem. I don't even have to switch the jacks to different colors; yellow to yellow, white to white and red to red.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-HomeCo...6764043&sr=1-1
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 PM
vferrari vferrari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 95
Default

FWIW I'm using an a/v cable from a Dynex (another BB 'house brand') "universal" mp3 player power and hookup kit that I bought on clearance. The a/v cable looks very similar to the Griffin above. In any event, I thought the cable was defective, but I found that the problem was that the cable plug would not make full contact with my Pilot video output jack with the rubber "Init" brand skin/case in place. Peeling back the Init skin/case around the line-in/video-out jack on the Pilot allowed the cable plug to make full contact and on the dynex a/v cable, the output plugs line up correctly y/w/r>y/w/r. I mention this in case someone is having trouble making a BB/Dynex a/v cable work with a Pilot using an Init rubber skin/case.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default Got my Pilot to work on TV now!

Thanks for the link explaining the different cables Digitalq. That really helped me figure out why some cables work and some don't.

We found a bargain Zune Cable at Staples for $1.50. Just switched the audio cables and it works perfect! Jimpen thanks for the info about the Griffin working. I got a second cable at Staples, the Griffin Cable for Ipods for $10. Not all the Staples has them though. Now that is a buy. That is the price they should be!


Apparently my Yahoo DVD player's cable is like the Zen cable, all messed up!
I just played over 2 hours of video on the TV and the battery died! Is this normal? I get many, many, more hours playing my audiobooks. Is it because of the volume having to be turned up? Why does the volume have to be cranked up so much anyway?

Last edited by leo3; 04-10-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: play time of videos
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
paloschinos paloschinos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Default I got it to work!!!

Yes, You have to plug the cable in the player "after" you set up the tv-out in the player and after you plug the three cables in the tv. So here the steps
1. plug the yellow,red and white plugs in the same color jacks on the tv.
2. Go to the settings in the player and setup the tv-out on.
3. plug the cable in the player.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
dhartsoc dhartsoc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex91 View Post
I have a tv-out cable I bought off ebay back when the ZV:M was my primary DAP/PVP and now I have the Pilot and I'm not sure that it's working with it. I hooked it up from the top(2nd)headphone jack to my Olevia lcd hdtv and turned on the tv to composite or whatever. I started a vid on the Pilot and went to tv out to turn it on and used 4:3, and the 1st NTSC setting or whatever it is and it gave me an error message. Why didn't it work?
Is there a consensus on this? I don't have a cable yet. Looking at the "manual" it states, connect to Pilot, connect to TV, then enable TV Out.

Dana
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
SaruNinja's Avatar
SaruNinja SaruNinja is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex91 View Post
I have a tv-out cable I bought off ebay back when the ZV:M was my primary DAP/PVP and now I have the Pilot and I'm not sure that it's working with it. I hooked it up from the top(2nd)headphone jack to my Olevia lcd hdtv and turned on the tv to composite or whatever. I started a vid on the Pilot and went to tv out to turn it on and used 4:3, and the 1st NTSC setting or whatever it is and it gave me an error message. Why didn't it work?
Is there a consensus on this? I don't have a cable yet. Looking at the "manual" it states, connect to Pilot, connect to TV, then enable TV Out.

Dana
I believe you have to plug it into the middle headphone jack (the one closest to the usb port)
__________________
Check out my artwork at www.saru-ninja.deviantart.com ^_^
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
vferrari vferrari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloschinos View Post
Yes, You have to plug the cable in the player "after" you set up the tv-out in the player and after you plug the three cables in the tv. So here the steps
1. plug the yellow,red and white plugs in the same color jacks on the tv.
2. Go to the settings in the player and setup the tv-out on.
3. plug the cable in the player.
While I don't disagree this sequence may work, it is simply not true that you must setup TV out before you plug in the A/V cable. I've been doing it just the opposite (plug the cable into the middle jack first and go to settings to setup TV out) ever since I got my Pilot and it works just fine. I think the truth is it makes no difference whether you plug the cable in before or after you set up TV out.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM
leo3 leo3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
While I don't disagree this sequence may work, it is simply not true that you must setup TV out before you plug in the A/V cable. I've been doing it just the opposite (plug the cable into the middle jack first and go to settings to setup TV out) ever since I got my Pilot and it works just fine. I think the truth is it makes no difference whether you plug the cable in before or after you set up TV out.

I agree, the order doesn't matter.

My same problem playing .wmv videos from Overdrive still don't work, I tried to convert to .avi using the software Pilot came with, and still it jumps out of the video.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Drive-In-Freak Drive-In-Freak is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
Yes, the Pilot does indeed use the iPod pinout. The reason you can "hear video" through all of the plugs when using a standard camcorder cable is because the video and ground pins are swapped (cute trick, Apple...).
BINGO! Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
rgvmp3 rgvmp3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 64
Default

I have a Philips portable DVD player and tried the similar looking AV cable for that and sure enough it didn't work. It would've been nice to be able to use the TV out function once in a while, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying a separate dedicated cable, even one cheaper than the overpriced Dynex one specified in the manual.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.