Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
no i bought a d2 to replace mine
Nothing to add....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Obviously FrododorF and dfkt are right though, in terms of sound, build quality etc the D2 is extraordinary and should be consider. Not a huge fan of the Cowon software but I guess you don't need to use it.
If though like me you are a Creative fan I think you may be satified with the new X-Fi.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM

After switching from my 128mb sony atrac3 player to my samsung I never thought it could get better... then came the ZVM 30g for a year replaced by the 60g fatboy and I never thought it could get better... then I bought the I7 which was great for battery life worthless for video(how do you watch a movie on a postage stamp)but besides size after the I7 I knew it could get better. My ? , is the X-fi or the D2 that or are they too just a part of my aimless ramblings

Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM

First post!

I have replaced my ZVM with the Zen X-FI 32 GB. I briefly considered the D2, due to reviews, but it was too pricy (I really want 32GB) and I wanted real buttons, not a touch screen. I got my Zen X-FI in the mail from Amazon today. I am very happy with it so far, I needed flash (I am amazed my ZVM has survived my slippery fingers for so long, and the poor thing is starting to get obnoxiously crashy) and I like the format. I have smaller hands, so the buttons aren't a problem.

I like the built-in speaker, as sometimes I don't want to take the time to stop the audio when transferring from headphones to the tape adapter in my car, and in the past I've missed parts of podcasts and audio books when going from one type of hookup to the next. It's also nice that I don't need to worry about speakers if I'm going to have it close to me but don't want to use headphones.

This player is light, it's not very noticeable in a (front) jeans pocket, the radio picks up reasonably well, and it looks great. I have used Winamp to synch my music and webcasts. I haven't installed Centrale yet. So I also haven't attempted any wi-fi wizardry yet.

Unfortunately, I've run into an Audible.com issue. AudibleManager doesn't have the Zen X-FI listed yet as a device to activate. I e-mailed Audible support, and the guy said he would need to call me during his office hours to deal with installation of something. Since their office hours during the week fit right along with the hours I work, I may have to wait until Saturday to address this, which is annoying, as I tend to listen to my Audible books often. The ZVM has delayed its retirement plans in order to fill the gap.

The Zen X-FI has crashed once in the 9 hours I've had it. It's nice that recovery from a crash is MUCH faster than on the ZVM, and that you don't need a paperclip to access the reset button.

Another issue - I asked BSE via e-mail when they'd be having a Zen X-FI version, and they replied that they had no plans to make one available. Any idea how I could neatly cut holes for the buttons in their "blank" BSE? I have a Creative screen protector (from Amazon), but I wanted to protect the whole front, which I didn't do with my ZVM.

The wall chargers I used for my Zen Stone Pluses (bought 3 on refurb sale) haven't worked for the Zen X-FI, so I'm going to follow advice in the Zen forum on wall chargers and hope that they work better.

Thanks all, GREAT forum!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hiya, Amy, and Welcome to ABi!

Hopefully Audible and BSE will start supporting the X-Fi soon. Other than that, it sounds like you're really enjoying your new player!

As a general rule, follow the hints and tips for encoding videos for the Zen, as it appears to have the same exact video support as the X-Fi.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Thank you! It's a great forum!!

Yes, I'm reading to figure out what's the best way to try for the video first. And Audible support did say that they do support the Zen and Zen X-FI, I guess they just haven't written the software to do so yet. Or something. I'll be scheduling a live session with them soon, when I have some time during their office hours.

---Amy

Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM

The silly Audible guy should have just asked me to update my AudibleManger software. I was going to do that, but the new version's installer asked me whether I was sure I wanted to re-install, as I already had version 5. I wrote in my trouble ticket the exact version I was using (5.1.0.0) but it turns out that wasn't new enough. I'm listening to an Audible book right now on my Zen X-FI. YAY!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM

I dont recommend buying the screen protector from creative as it is expensive

What I recommend is buying a 2.5 inch screen protector from Ebay but read the details of the auction careful as you can get some really bad screen protectors.

I bought my screen protector for $5NZ

Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Nothing to add....
+ 2