android
Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Just a word of caution on Gomadic charger

The "1 Amp High Output USB Travel Charger Adapter" on gomadic's web site for the zen v plus requires gomadic's own cable with the correct tip. I say this because the 1 Amp USB Travel Charger's description uses this line:

"Already have a Power Sync or USB charging cable?"

The USB charging cable they are referring to is not what came with your Zen V Plus, but their own Power Sync cable. I have talked with gomadic and they should be omitting the confusion shortly, but I want people to understand this before plugging in their zen v plus using this AC adapter with their zen v plus cable.
The AC adapter I am reffering to is here:
http://www.gomadic.com/unusbtravcha.html

I want to say gomadic was easy to deal with in this matter.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2006, 12:14 PM

ok thanks i wont be buying that one...

Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 AM

This isn't really a reply, just more words on the topic of charging your zen. I don't thinkg Gomad is the problem here...

... I just discovered, upon trying to charge my newly acquired Zen V, that Creative has taken the U out of USB charging. Poor work, folks. It's the various sorts of proprietary crap that make the overwhelming favourite ipod unappealing to some of us, and here is the minor competing player imposing even more onerous maladaptations. Here in NZ, "only" $60 buys you Creative's proprietary charger, which is somewhat smaller than a car battery, so that you don't have to keep your 400 watt computer running for hours to recharge your Zen with half an AA battery's worth of juice. What a deal.

really a huge disappoinment -- stay away

Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owngoal View Post
This isn't really a reply, just more words on the topic of charging your zen. I don't thinkg Gomad is the problem here...

... I just discovered, upon trying to charge my newly acquired Zen V, that Creative has taken the U out of USB charging. Poor work, folks. It's the various sorts of proprietary crap that make the overwhelming favourite ipod unappealing to some of us, and here is the minor competing player imposing even more onerous maladaptations. Here in NZ, "only" $60 buys you Creative's proprietary charger, which is somewhat smaller than a car battery, so that you don't have to keep your 400 watt computer running for hours to recharge your Zen with half an AA battery's worth of juice. What a deal.

really a huge disappoinment -- stay away
Creative Zen Mini USB Travel / Wall Charger for ZEN V ( I use this on a ZEN V + works great) $6.25 + shipping

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Blank screen after chaging w/ Gomadic cable with USB Car charger

I decided to try to charge my Zen V Plus in my car using a Gomadic USB cable with a Zen V Plus tip plugged into a car charger with a USB port from Radio Shack. The lightning bolt didn't appear when I first plugged it in and when I came back only the pause/play and return arrows light up. The screen is blank. Is there a way to revive or I just flat burn out my screen?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What kind of car charger; output specs? It sounds as though you may have applied too much voltage or amperage to the player and now the mainboard and/or possibly the display is ruined. Car charges can be dangerous because they generally don't have good voltage regulation.

Thread of interest.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM

It came in the Accurian "Universal MP3 Value Kit" from Radio Shack. The car charger has a model number of: PT-018H. Radio Shack catalog number is: 12-364. The output is 5 volts 0.5 amps.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you or are you able to test to make sure that the charger is working correctly? You could also try replacing the battery to see if that helps. See here.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Great, thanks for the info. I'll try replacing the battery and later will try testing the charger.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you don't already know.....Regarding testing the charger:

Using a Multimeter, place the ground (black) probe on the outside and the positive (red) probe on the inside.

Like this:

Zen FAQ

Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Actually, the front end of this somewhat unconventional charger fits into a car cigarette lighter and the back end is a USB port (power only). The Gomadic say the Zen V Plus tip knows how to charge the Zen V Plus without a real computer's USP port. Is a Multimeter still useful in this case?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Aw yeah.... sorry about that. I forgot you were using the Zen V Plus. I don't know why I was thinking of the ZVM....

A good multimeter is always useful. You can use it to test to make sure you are only getting 5v out of the USB connection on the output of the charger ato the cable.

USB Pinout
Mini USB Pinout

Touch pin 4 (ground) with the negative probe of the multimeter and then touch the pin 1 (hot) with the positive probe of the multimeter. You should be getting a 5v reading. Be careful with touching anything that would connect the positive and negative together. If you can, try touching a ground on the lighter/car port.

As for the plug, use one that you know works when connected to a computer. You can usually test a USB cable the same way, but the mini USB plug is too small to really get any kind of multimeter probes into. If you really don't care about the USB cable, you can always cut it to expose the wires for testing with the multimeter, and then just use electrical tape to cover it up..... but using a known working one (works on computer), is usually good enough .

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-04-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 PM

Say, just to weigh my options, how long does it typically take to send player in to Creative for a battery replacement. FYI, I've only had it a month, so warranty issues should be no problem. I'm pretty sure from all that happened were that I just ran the battery just ran down to zero. The Gomadic charger designed for that Gomadic cable (pluse Zen V Plus tip of course) puts out 1 amp, and the charger I used is a half an amp. Since the Zen turns on (normal mode--not "docked") when plugged into it, I can only surmise that it used more juice than what the charger could supply until there was no more juice.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It seems to be a "hit or miss" sort of relationship with returned players to Creative. It seems like the players that are not discontinued seem to have a faster return rate then players that are.

500mAH is plenty to charge the Zen V. They are designed to handle at least a charge from USB which can charge up to 500mAH.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-16-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Replaced battery, but screen still blank

Ok, it took a while, but I finally ordered a battery and put it in. Still nothing lights up except the buttons. Am I back to the possiblilty of a Kentucky fried screen?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It is possible the screen or even the mainboard is having issues. Did you happen to check the voltage on the battery before you installed? I don't recall asking, but does the Zen V do the same when plugged into a computers USB port? The Zen V Plus is picky about AC charging. See this post in this thread for more information.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltmycone View Post
The "1 Amp High Output USB Travel Charger Adapter" on gomadic's web site for the zen v plus requires gomadic's own cable with the correct tip.
[...]
I want to say gomadic was easy to deal with in this matter.
Hi meltmycone,

i bought gomadic's too for my zen (this one to be specific), it was cheaper then buying them in any local store here in germany. I dont know about the MonoPrice one posted here by billcf (here) - that are some really low prices and they at least have the same appearence on the picture.

Iam not using any tip than the one that shipped. All i can say is that it works.

Before i used those charges i waited sometimes 6-8 hours to have a fully charged ZenV+. But sometimes i didnt have the feeling it really was.
After i first plugged in the gomadic one it showed 15minutes (!!!) later it was charged. couldn't belive, so i tested it... it really was. Its even in my car fully charged in about the same time. can't tell exactly, because everytime it charge it i go away doing some stuff (eat, wash, whatever) and when iam back its already charged.
But can't be more than 30minutes, even when the ZenV+ was totally dead.

well, don't use usb anymore, also to keep bills low with that energy-hungry graphic card in my pc.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for posting your experiences with the charger. I don't believe meltmycone was referring to the same charger you purchased, but the charger adapter that would require a separate cable and correct tip depending on the cable type.

Zen FAQ