android
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Editing tags once music is on your zen

I have some trouble updating mp3 tags on my zen... and i've got a feeling i'm missing some obvious solution here...

i use mp3tag to sort out my tags before copying the mp3s to the zen.

when using the zen i then see the inevitable spelling mistakes etc that i want to correct.

i could correct the mp3s on my computer and then copy them over again but where the artist name or track title is updated i would then be left with a load of duplicates on the zen because the file names are always artist - title.

i've tried updating the files directly on the zen using media explorer which is not ideal... if you make any edit to the file name through media explorer it automatically updates the track title in the tag to whatever the full file name is (in my case artist - title) and it is a nightmare to use anyway.

i've tried making my changes to the mp3's on my computer using mp3tag then deleting all the tracks from my zen and copying all the tracks over again... despite taking ages this solves the update problem but presents me with a load of new ones in that i have to sort all the album art out again and all tracks in all my playlists dissapear.

any ideas how this process can be made easier?

thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 AM

i've come to the conclusion you've got no chance. i've tried fiddling about with various software media players trying to sync files with mine and none work how i'd expect them to.

WMP creates duplicates and the others i've tried won't update files even though they've been modified. great.....

because i'm not bothered about album art, i'm just using explorer for now.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I usually do the same process..... delete the file on the Zen, make the change on the file on the computer, and then copy back over to the Zen. If you use syncing software, the changes are suppose to change on the existing file once synced, but most of the time I get the same result; duplicate files. It can be pretty cumbersome to deal with, but once your tags are all accurate, it is well worth the effort put forth in correcting them.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 PM

I was able to add album art to a album on my 8gb Zen without copying the files off the player.

I just synced the player with winamp. Under portables select the album you want to edit. In the lower window pane either right click on a single track or select multiple tracks and right click and select edit.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can anyone else confirm this? I do not see where WinAmp has the ability to edit metadata directly to files on the MTP device. I see where it supports them and syncing.... From what I understand, after you edit the tag info and click update, it will update WinAmps media library. Then the next time you sync, it will update the changes to the device.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Can anyone else confirm this? I do not see where WinAmp has the ability to edit metadata directly to files on the MTP device. I see where it supports them and syncing.... From what I understand, after you edit the tag info and click update, it will update WinAmps media library. Then the next time you sync, it will update the changes to the device.
I just did it using Winamp version 5.51

1. Under Portables on the left side pane of winamp click My Zen.
  2. I have my albums sorted by artist. I am looking for "Last Emperor" under artist under the artist pane.
  3. Find the album that you need to add the cover art to. Last Emperor only has one album so all those tracks are dumped at the bottom pane.
  4. Make sure you select all the tracks to that particular album. Then right click and select "EDIT SELECTED ALBUMS"
  5. Check and select album art. Click change.. You can do other tag editing, but I only use this method to add artwork that I forgot.
  6. Browse and find the cover for these tracks.
    (*NOTE there are lines across my cover art capture because my video card burned out, i'll be buying a new one soon*)
  7. Press Update and the Metadata should update.
  8. When you undock your player it should update. Check the album and your artwork should be there.

Last edited by kaydigi; 08-06-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. When you select Update, does it update to the device then, or when you sync.... or does it do a sync as soon as you select it?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. When you select Update, does it update to the device then, or when you sync.... or does it do a sync as soon as you select it?

It does it as soon as you select it. The changes do not reflect until you undock though.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It does it as soon as you select it.
Does it do a full sync or can you tell if it just updates the one file only?

Quote:
The changes do not reflect until you undock though.
Yes, as it should. The Zen won't update the database until it undocks.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 PM

In an ideal world there'd be a bit of free software that allows you to sync two folders (one on your computer, one on your zen) EXACTLY. So if you went on your computer, added a bunch of new mp3's to the folder, made some file name changes to some existing mp3's and changed the genre on other mp3's then pressed the sync button it would do a change only update to the folder on the zen, adding in the new mp3's and replacing the files that have either had their filename or tag info changed. I don't see why thats so hard, not that I could write it!!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2150 View Post
In an ideal world there'd be a bit of free software that allows you to sync two folders (one on your computer, one on your zen) EXACTLY. So if you went on your computer, added a bunch of new mp3's to the folder, made some file name changes to some existing mp3's and changed the genre on other mp3's then pressed the sync button it would do a change only update to the folder on the zen, adding in the new mp3's and replacing the files that have either had their filename or tag info changed. I don't see why thats so hard, not that I could write it!!
if the guys at creative weren't so short sighted to make the device MTP only, then there is plenty of software out there to do exactly what you want. even windows has a command line tool called "robocopy" built in. it's what i use to sync with my sony player. it only updates files that have been modified. and it deletes files from the player if they no longer exist on my pc (only if i tell it to of course - it has more options than you can shake a stick at. )

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2150 View Post
Well, that is basically how it is supposed to work. Any additions/deletions/changes on any files within any of the sync folders should get synced to the Zen. Are you referring changes done of either the Computer or the Zen get synced together?

If so, give this a try if you use the Creative Sync Manager:

1. Open Creative Sync manager.
2. Right click on its icon in the system tray.
3. Select Player Settings and then your Creative Zen.
4. There should be a drop-down-box to change the Sync direction. By default it should indicate syncing from the computer to the Zen.
5. Change the setting to indicate syncing to both the computer and the Zen (double arrow).
6. Select OK.

Zen FAQ