android
Old 07-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Extolling the Virtues of Pilot's Bluetooth

Insignia Pilot's bluetooth is a feature that has basically transformed portable audio for me.

Wireless Headphones:

I have a pair of single wraparound wireless headphones (Motorola S9's) that have NO WIRES (not even wires to a so-called bluetooth pendant nor do I look like Princess Leia), are low profile (I can easily slip them into my pants pocket or backpack pouch), are weather proof, and have decent sound quality. I use these for casual listening in the subway, doing yardwork, or exercising and never have to worry about tangled cords or getting my earphone cords caught on something or breaking. Transport and volume controls reside right on the earpieces so my player can be placed anywhere convient and safe on my person. Another side benefit is that I am not repeatedly plugging and unplugging headphones into the headphone jack of the player, thus wearing out the jack/plug of the player and headphones over time.

There are, of course, drawbacks. Bluetooth audio fidelty limitations and the limited selection of quality bluetooth headsets keeps the audio from being the best it can be compared to a quality set of wired headphones, but I've found the audio quality to be very good. You can't share a pair of bluetooth headphones for private listening with a partner like you can with two wired headphones. Finally, bluetooth transmission does put a strain on the battery, with battery life at 3/4 to half of that which you would get using wired headphones, plus you have to periodically charge the headphones. Cost of bluetooth headphones is commensurate with the cost of medium quality headphones (i.e, $30 to $100).

In-car audio:

For car audio quality, I am a big believer in plugging your player directly into the aux jack of your car's sound system rather than the significantly degraded audio provided by most FM transmitters. However, since I take my diminutive Insignia Pilot player practically everywhere I go, its not practical to keep the player permanently plugged into the aux jack of my car's sound system nor is it wise to keep plugging and unplugging every time I enter and leave the car. Plus I have more flexibility to place the player where I want when its not tethered to the aux jack patch cord. Problem solved with bluetooth.

I have a simple $6 Insignia bluetooth ipod dock adapter that I connect to an ipod power/audio auto kit (about $20). The auto kit consists simply of a cigarette lighter adapter for power, an ipod dock connector (into which I have the insigna bluetooth receiver, and a wired 3.5 mm mini-adaptor stereo patch cord that I plug directly into the auxiliary input of my car sound system and into the aux connector on the auto adapter. Now whenever I enter the car, the player automatically pairs up with the bluetooth receiver which powers on as soon as I turn on the ignition. When I leave the car, turn off the ignition, everything powers down. If I leave the player in the car, it is automatically paused when the bluetooth receiver powers down and eventually shuts off based on the power saver settings (IOW I don't even have to shut off the player when I leave it in the car, it does it on its own when bluetooth disconnects). Since the player is small and is not physically "tethered" to the aux jack or bluetooth/ipod adaptor, I use it as its own "remote control" to skip to the next track or change the playlist and place it anywhere within convenient reach to me while in the car.

One minor drawback to this setup is that I need a separate power source/adapter if I want to charge the player while in the car.

Portable amplified bluetooth audio:

I use a simple, compact Insignia bluetooth enabled speaker set with "boombox"-like audio quality and volume (the ipod dock compatible bluetooth receiver I described above can also be used with an ipod dock/speaker system). This setup was a big hit at the holiday pool party this weekend. I could set the speakers up at a set location in the pool deck area and could carry my player with me around the pool deck like a virtual "remote" to control the content coming out of the loudspeakers. It was a big hit as I could change genre playlists on the fly or quickly fire up specific song requests at a moment's notice. Unobstructed range was about 30 to 50 ft.

Hope this provides some perspective on some of the potential advantages using Pilot's bluetooth feature and gives you ideas on how you might be able to exploit this feature for your listening/partying pleasure.

Disclaimer - I am not an Insignia or Best Buy shill - it just happens that Insignia has made two inexpensive ($6 and $60 respectively) and easily obtainable accessories (the ipod dock bluetooth adapter and insignia portable bluetooth speaker system) that happen to work well with the Pilot and in the applications/situations I described above. There are other similar non-Insignia branded accessories that should work just as well or better than the ones I described in these scenarios.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2008, 11:10 AM

I agree. The bluetooth was the main reason I got the Insignia Pilot otherwise I don't think I would've considered it. I didn't need a high capacity player and was originally looking at other cheaper players since I mainly like to listen to Podcasts in my car on the way to work. Thus the Pilot also had to be able to handle these as well. I used to use a cassette adaptor with a first generation 1GB ipod nano for this since it was the factory radio and didn't have an aux jack. Car manufacturers always seem to be years behind when it comes to simple additions like an aux jack. Anyway, when they had the 8GB Pilot on sale for $99, it was a nobrainer to try it out.

When the factory radio broke, I replaced it with a Sony bluetooth car stereo and this works great with the Pilot. Since it has the A2DP bluetooth profile I can even change track on the player from the car stereo!

I keep reading how audio quality via bluetooth is not as good as a direct input but I have to say it's plenty good enough for me, but then I am not an audiophile as I also tend to be more interested in listening to podcasts than music anyway. Even so, I don't find the music quality to be that bad either and it's certainly not enough of a difference to overshadow the convenience of bluetooth.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Outstanding idea !

I rushed to Best Buy when I read your original post. Up untill that point I was even thinking abour swapping out my Panasonic DVD headunit for a Pioneer one with bluetooth. $36.00 dollars later I have exactly what I needed. It works perfectly. Thanks for a great suggestion.
John

Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
I rushed to Best Buy when I read your original post. Up untill that point I was even thinking abour swapping out my Panasonic DVD headunit for a Pioneer one with bluetooth. $36.00 dollars later I have exactly what I needed. It works perfectly. Thanks for a great suggestion.
John

Glad it worked out for you and I could help. Enjoy.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
John

BTW - I'm curious what brand/model in-vehicle iPod dock/power adapter/aux output device you ended up going with?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 PM

I have noticed that unlike our phones, my Pilot doesn't seem to automatically pair up with my Car Stereo. I have to manually connect it everytime although I have had it occasionally pair up on its own. Anyone else have this behaviour?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 PM

I've found the Pilot will automatically pair with devices (radio/headset/BT receiver) if the device is turned on AFTER the Pilot has completed its boot up and initialization. If the receiving device is on and initialized before the Pilot gets through its boot up/initialization sequence it will not pair automatically and you have to go through the hassle of pairing the device through the Pilot's BT configuration menu. This is kind of a hassle because I use an SDHC card and that significantly lengthens the Pilot initialization sequence.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 PM

You know what, I didn't think of that. This would explain why it does pair sometimes. Of course my phones are always on so they would always pair up. For some reason I was thinking the car stereo had to be on first and the devices would then pair with it. Of course that wouldn't make sense as devices are not constantly scanning to pair up, they do it once usually on power on so phones would never pair up otherwise as they are usually always on.

But as you say, the long boot time of the device almost makes the auto pairing feature useless. Like I say, I don't think the designers ever test these devices out. I mean how can they, since this slip up would be so obvious to them otherwise.

One thing that I do find annoying is the way the bluetooth device list menu has 'Delete All' as the first menu item. I knew one day I would probably end up selecting it instead of my device in a hurry and sure enough I went to connect the bluetooth and there were no devices listed! With the sensitive item selection, you can miss your device, only to have the highlight back on the 'Delete All' menu item meaning it is too easy to delete your devices. They really should make that option a separate main bluetooth menu option. Perhaps this belongs on the firmware wishlist along with the other 1000 items!

Still I have already grown to like my quirky Pilot. The bluetooth feature alone to add to an ipod is between $30-$50 not to mention that it's an ugly cumbersome dongle that would hang of the docking connecting. If I had purchase an ipod nano instead, I would be looking at nearly $250 for the same 8GB spec which I got for $99!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Vferrari,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been on a much needed vacation. I bought a Belkin auto kit from J&R Music. It works great and it was cheap. Take care

BKN F8V7058-APB Belkin F8V7058-APB Auto Kit for Black iPod with Dock Connector.

John

Last edited by sonjohn1; 07-27-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM

Default BT office stereo

I forgot to mention, today I bought a pair of Bose Companion 2 II speakers and an Insten - Black Cradle v3.0 with Remote and Dock Plates for Apple iPod for my office. Total cost $117.00 delivered. I bought two of the Insignia BT receivers when I did my car unit. I'm looking forward to going from car to office without missing a musical beat. I'll let everyone know how it sounds next week.
John

Last edited by sonjohn1; 07-28-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
I've found the Pilot will automatically pair with devices (radio/headset/BT receiver) if the device is turned on AFTER the Pilot has completed its boot up and initialization. If the receiving device is on and initialized before the Pilot gets through its boot up/initialization sequence it will not pair automatically and you have to go through the hassle of pairing the device through the Pilot's BT configuration menu. This is kind of a hassle because I use an SDHC card and that significantly lengthens the Pilot initialization sequence.
Nope seems it doesn't do it anymore (Watch as it works now that I have posted this!)

Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Out of interest has anyone else noticed that if you manually connect bluetooth to your car stereo (or even bluetooth headphones?) that if you have a podcast that is currently 'now playing' it will play double speed. It will continue to do this, even if you pause and unpause. The only way to 'reset' back to normal speed is to go to the audible icon and reselect the podcast again. It does this everytime for me, making it one more step I have to go through when I get back in my car to reconnect the bluetooth.

Unfortunately even if the device is on before the car stereo, it doesn't auto connect anymore. Once it is connected thought, it works great.

The one thing I do like about the bluetooth connection over the aux input of the stereo is that I only need to worry about the volume control on the stereo without having to make sure the volume on the player is set correctly too

Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 PM

I bought the Insignia bluetooth headset along with my Pilot when they were on sale for $99. I hooked up my headset for the first time today as I had just received my Shure E3c's back from "repair" (I got the SE310's which are part of their performing package, receiver/monitor kit) and had ripped most of my music into WMA lossless. I am used to listening to the total isolation of the E3c's and their audiophile qulaity of reproduction so I was expecting the worse....I was surprised att he depth of bass, clarity of the mids and clear highs. I'm listening to Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny "Under the Missouri Sky" and can clearly hear their fingers slide over the frets and I am even more surprised at how far I can roam around the house and listen to them with the Pilot. I'm off to Walmart to get a BT dongle for my PC as I typically use my HP rx1955 PPC to stream Shoutcast audio as I roam around the house. I like the fact that I have so many choices for listening and viewing. My iPaq has a larger screen for viewing movies and The Core Media Player plays just about every file I can throw at it but when I run to the market it is the Polot I grab (though I still have the iPaq on my clip). I can hear a little more "oomph" with the rx1955 but it is a small difference.

I was also surprised to find out that the headset isn't JUST a headset, but that it also had a mic...I was ready to go out and replace my Plantronics headset so I can continue with my Rosetta Stone courses.