android
  #1  
Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 AM
juneau92 juneau92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Default quick question on deleting files

I did a search, but could not find an answer to this question.

I'm considering buying an X5, based on all the good things I've read here. One thing I'd like to be able to do is to delete songs directly from the X5 itself, without having to connect to the computer. For instance, as I'm listening to songs, if I decide I'd like to delete some songs from the player right then, without having to later connect to the computer and remember which songs I no longer wanted on it, can this be done? Also, it would be nice to be able to do the same thing with video or photos, but that is less important to me. Thanks very much for your help!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Yes, you can delete stuff from the X5. With the original firmware you have to enter USB-OTG mode to delete files from the HDD. With Rockbox you can delete them from the normal file browser.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 AM
juneau92 juneau92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Yes, you can delete stuff from the X5. With the original firmware you have to enter USB-OTG mode to delete files from the HDD. With Rockbox you can delete them from the normal file browser.
Thanks for the quick reply. I take it that USB-OTG mode means the X5 is connected to the computer via USB?

I'll have to read some about Rockbox. This is looking more and more like the player for me.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

No, USB-OTG ("on the go") is a connection to directly import photos from digital cameras to the X5, or transfer music between two X5s, etc. It's USB that works without computers. Sometimes it's also called "USB Host".

But it also works without any other device connected to the X5, for deleting internal files. You just have to enter that USB-OTG mode in the X5's menu, browse the internal HDD of the X5, and delete whatever you want to.

And here you can read more about Rockbox.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 PM
juneau92 juneau92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
No, USB-OTG ("on the go") is a connection to directly import photos from digital cameras to the X5, or transfer music between two X5s, etc. It's USB that works without computers. Sometimes it's also called "USB Host".

But it also works without any other device connected to the X5, for deleting internal files. You just have to enter that USB-OTG mode in the X5's menu, browse the internal HDD of the X5, and delete whatever you want to.

And here you can read more about Rockbox.
Excellent, and thanks again. I'm going to order one. I want the extended battery life, so I'll be getting the X5L model. I've seen this only in the 20 and 30gig models, which should be plenty of storage space for me. I just want to ask, though, is there such a thing as a 60 gig X5L model? If so, and if it's not much more $, I would order it. Always good to have extra storage space.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau92
I just want to ask, though, is there such a thing as a 60 gig X5L model?
No, because the 60GB HDD is physically thicker than the 20 and 30GB models. You can either have a thin 20/30GB HDD and a big battery, or a 60GB HDD and a thin battery.

I chose the X5L 30GB for the same reasons... battery life is more important to me than lugging around more files.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM
juneau92 juneau92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
No, because the 60GB HDD is physically thicker than the 20 and 30GB models. You can either have a thin 20/30GB HDD and a big battery, or a 60GB HDD and a thin battery.

I chose the X5L 30GB for the same reasons... battery life is more important to me than lugging around more files.
X5L 30gig it is then! Time to place order. Sure appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:20 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

You're welcome.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
juneau92 juneau92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Just ordered it from Amazon, Newegg was out of stock. Free shipping from Amazon, 5-9 days they say, so now I just have to WAIT!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.