android
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Help help ! firmware upgrade needed BUT!

I have just bought a 2nd hand zvm 30g & it says it need a firmware upgrade but it does not connect it just shows the screen with the options to reboot ,clean up etc but none of that works i think the hard drive has a loose connection but the internal is different to my zvm the hard drive connector is a much diferent one . i bought this one because my zvm battery plug socket on the inside broke off so i am going to use this one as spare parts but would like to get into the hard drive of the 2nd one as it is FULL of music that i would like to tap into any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Even when mine was in the Recovery mode, I could still access the music on the ZVM, from the PC when it was plugged in. I just manually copied the mp3 files to my PC's harddrive.

I assume you can't get your original player to be recognized by your PC? If so, then I think you'll need to work on getting the connection changed over.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
it just shows the screen with the options to reboot ,clean up etc
This is called Recovery Mode, which the ZVM will boot into when there is no firmware installed or there is an issue with the hard drive.

Quote:
i think the hard drive has a loose connection but the internal is different to my zvm the hard drive connector is a much diferent one .
The ZVM's come with two different drives with different connectors. See more information here.

Quote:
but would like to get into the hard drive of the 2nd one as it is FULL of music that i would like to tap into any help would be greatly appreciated
Depending on which cable/ribbon you have and need, you may be able to purchase the one you need with the correct connector so you can be able to use the hard drive with all of the music.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM

tried to open the 2nd hand one on pc but it just shows as usb device but will not open with explorer also tried to send a mp3 to it but it said it does not support it same as jpeg's my original hd work ok in the 2nd one but i would love to open up the hd on this one but i will keep trying . where can you get the ribbon from i would like to try that next

Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Without firmware on the ZVM, you will not able to access or copy files to it without first addressing the connectivity issues. Check Device Manager for the status of the driver when it is connected. What Operating System are you using ans what version of WMP is installed?

If you want to consider opening up the ZVM's to swap parts, these should help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks Bobby for your advice i have changed tha hd 's over so i have one zen that works great and would still like to get the other one working or open the hd .I went to a link from here called areozbooks.com which was sort of helpful if i want it repaired ,but i also read somewhere on this site (but can't recall where) that there is a device you can house the hd in to open as i'm not fully educated in this stuff( still learning) could you tell me what it is called so i could try that
Many thanks James

Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you are jus referring to an external hard drive enclosure. This would allow for continued use for the hard drive if the ZVM was no longer workable, but since you want to get the second ZVM repaired, it really isn't an issue. For the second one, what is the problem with it so we can start trying to troubleshoot (now that you have swapped drives)?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 AM

yeah i was i saw it written here somewhere but did not note it,the one that does not work has the 2nd hand hard drive in it & the battery socket broken of the mother board i don't know whether i should super glue it back or solder it as i'm abit iffy as i don't want to stuff it up, as for the hard drive it is the one that has the pin connectors and is stuck in recovery mode . I bought it on E-bay its full of music ( i don't know what kind ) but would love to find out . As you can never have to much music

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It would be best to solder (or have it done) the battery connector back in place. Keep in mind, you won't be able to just put the hard drive in an enclosure and pull files from it. Creative uses their own proprietary file system on their devices. You are most likely stuck with getting the ZVM repaired if you want the files from the drive.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

I'm probably missing something here somewhere. Why can't you just take the hd and connector cable from the 2nd one and put it in the 1st one that works? It should connect to the computer right away if the hard drive from the 2nd one works. Put hd 2 into zen 1 and load the firmware onto the new zen 1, then extract music.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 AM

I was hopeing to do that but as my original one was replaced by creative it has the newer hard drive connector ribbons

Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks Bobby i will probably end up doing that hopefully i can get the tunes off,by the way love the quote its so true And thank you for your excellent advice as another user here said creative should pay you for keeping the ZVM alive !

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good luck!

Quote:
by the way love the quote its so true

Quote:
And thank you for your excellent advice as another user here said creative should pay you for keeping the ZVM alive !
Thank you for the complement.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenistheway View Post
Thanks Bobby i will probably end up doing that hopefully i can get the tunes off,by the way love the quote its so true And thank you for your excellent advice as another user here said creative should pay you for keeping the ZVM alive !
Actually Creative doesn't want this forum to exist; they would prefer that you go and buy a new one. For every ZVM that is fixed, that is money they lose because you didn't go buy another one of their products right away.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's possible.... I would say the door swings both ways with this. You can't overlook the possibility that customers with repaired products may in general keep a more positive outlook regarding the product and company just because it is repaired and working correctly. Creative is also known for using these types of third party forums to deflect some of their support too.

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery connector, firmware upgrade