android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Zen not Recognized, all videos/pictures/90% of music gone :(

This problem started yesterday. I've had it for about 1.5 years now.. that may be relevant.. anyways..
First problems I encountered:
  • Music Skipping
  • Song started skipping, then playing parts of other songs during the song I was listening to
  • Taking forever to be recognized to the computer
  • "Rebuilding" but the little green bar on the timeline didn't rebuild completely to the edge of the line, the green bar went up to like 10% of the timeline
Current Problems:
  • Zen Vision M isn't recognized by the computer
  • ALL videos, pictures and 90% of the music that I've put on it that I've collected over the time I've had it is ALL gone now. (Please tell me there is a way to recover them)
  • I'm finding this is a common problem from reading this:
    http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2...tive-vision-m/
Hopefully there is a way that I can get all of my videos/pictures/and 90% of the music I lost back. Now I know to backup all that stuff... I took it for granted and didn't back any of it up..
Please help! I'm worried
Thanks in advance.

Physics FTW.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello MrPhysics; welcome!

I'm not so sure about your files being recoverable, but have you tried booting the ZVM into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup? This will repair the database from any errors that may be detected. Hopefully by doing this (and if your files are still there and not too corrupted), you files will reappear. Keep in mind your ZVM's symptoms could be a result of a more serious issue like a failing hard drive or a severely corrupt file system, that would require a Format to correct (will erase all files). Good luck and let me know....

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Hi Thanks for the welcome
I didn't know about this recovery mode.. I have a question.. how long does it take? Mine says Scan Disk...303% right now.. I thought it'd generally end at 100%...

Nice quote in your sig btw

It's at 1314% now...

Ok, its been stuck at 1314% now for about half hour

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM

I turned it off last night by hitting the reset button, because I needed to sleep real bad. Mind you, it was still stuck at 1314%, and still is not recognizable by my computer, and all my data is still gone as before the "Clean Up". It's on low battery right now, probably due to the "Clean up" and now it's charging, but still unrecognizable. I don't really want to do a reformat because I really want that data back.

Is it possible to take out the hard drive and hook it up to something... I'm not to strong in this area of expertise.

I think the problem is that my Zen doesn't "rebuild" all the way... and the 33 music tracks that are on there is from the 10% of rebuild that happens at the "rebuilding" stage..
If it rebuilt making the whole trip on the timeline ... then I think all my data would be back... Would you have an idea on how I could get it to rebuild fully without reformatting?

thanks.

anyone have any insight to my problem before i do a reformat in recovery mode?

... over 1.5 years of videos/pictures/music collected. and i collect ALOT of videos from youtube, download many

Another question before I reformat..
If I reload firmware, would my ZVM have to be readable by my computer? Currently, it isn't read by my computer...

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

It sounds to me like you either have a corrupt hard drive, or a failing motherboard, or both. I don't think your files can be recovered; you will very likely have to do a format.

Disk cleanup should only go to 100%, not beyond. You should try a format, then disk cleanup, then reload firmware. After that, if your Zen still does not connect with your computer, you will know that you have a hardware failure somewhere.

Also, once you select "reload firmware" your Zen will be stuck in Recovery Mode until you are able to load the firmware again.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM

I'll do that right now and let you know the results. Thanks TheGadgetDoctor

When I reformatted, which was almost instant.. it said, Free Space 28565.5 MB

Is this normal?

Clean Up now in progress.

Which firmware file would I need?

Ok I've reformatted and Cleaned Disk. I hooked it up to the computer to see if it will be recognized and it is recognizable now.

Should I still reformat?
What was the problem I had?
And I'm sure this problem may happen again, so I will backup all my stuff for the future, but lots of memories were lost with my old stuff

Although, when I hit settings and information via the Zen Vision: M Media Explorer, it says there is 3.75GB of Used Space and 27.8GB of free space, what is this 3.75 GB?

I have the removable disk option disabled, and my old background wallpaper is still in use. Shouldn't my background paper have gone to default?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-17-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 PM

I had similar problems to you, although cant 100% remember what i did to get it working, or if i ever did (i went through 3 failed ZVM's). Anyway, if its functioning properly you should be ok, and for that used 3.75 GB, not sure what that is, check via the 'my computer' route for data. Although i dont understand why it would say 3.7 used and 27 free, because a 30gb hardrive is actully only about 28gb.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Nice quote in your sig btw
Thank you.

Quote:
Music Skipping
Song started skipping, then playing parts of other songs during the song I was listening to
Taking forever to be recognized to the computer
"Rebuilding" but the little green bar on the timeline didn't rebuild completely to the edge of the line, the green bar went up to like 10% of the timeline
Quote:
Ok, its been stuck at 1314% now for about half hour
These issues sound like either a failing hard drive (one with many bad sectors; this would also explain the missing data and unrecoverable Cleanups) or a failing SoC on the mainboard (or both ). At this point, with all of these symptoms, I'm favoring a bad mainboard..... Unfortunately, you really won't get a better idea with the hard drive until you try reformatting and see how it reacts.

Quote:
If I reload firmware, would my ZVM have to be readable by my computer? Currently, it isn't read by my computer...
It is usually best, but sometimes it won't be recognized correctly until a Format can be done to rebuild the Zen's file system to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadgetDoctor View Post
It sounds to me like you either have a corrupt hard drive, or a failing motherboard, or both. I don't think your files can be recovered; you will very likely have to do a format.
I agree. At this point, it seems just trying to figure out which one or if it is both are the cause of the issues.

Quote:
Is this normal?
Well, it shouldn't take long, but it shouldn't be instant either.

Quote:
Which firmware file would I need?
You need this firmware: 1.62.02

Quote:
Ok I've reformatted and Cleaned Disk. I hooked it up to the computer to see if it will be recognized and it is recognizable now.
Great! This is good. When you did a Cleanup, did it stop at 100% this time? When you say recognized, what do you mean specificly?

Quote:
Should I still reformat?
Sure, try it again followed by another Cleanup.

Quote:
Although, when I hit settings and information via the Zen Vision: M Media Explorer, it says there is 3.75GB of Used Space and 27.8GB of free space, what is this 3.75 GB?

I have the removable disk option disabled,and my old background wallpaper is still in use. Shouldn't my background paper have gone to default?
It should not be showing 3.75GB used. Yes; your wallpaper shouldn't still be showing. It is like it didn't do the Format at all.

MrPhysics: Please watch all of the new posts. A simple Edit on the existing posts sould suffice.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-17-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Great! This is good. When you did a Cleanup, did it stop at 100% this time? When you say recognized, what do you mean specificly?
When I say recognized, specifically I mean my laptop can read my ZVM when I connect it via USB w/dongle.

Quote:
It should not be showing 3.75GB used. Yes; your wallpaper shouldn't still be showing. It is like it didn't do the Format at all.
It doesn't show 3.75GB used anymore because I added video and music files on it now, but before I did add it, I recall seeing 3.75GB used on the display screen. My wallpaper still did show and when I did do the clean up after the reformat, it displayed, "Cleaning Disk", for about a minute, and then it would say "Finished", or somewhat equivalent, I don't remember. What I do remember is that there was not anything showing that was similar to n% complete.

But it is working correctly right now, things should be fine, I assume, at least for the time being. What do you suggest I do due to the Format and Clean Up having left my wallpaper the same prior to the Format?

Quote:
MrPhysics: Please watch all of the new posts. A simple Edit on the existing posts sould suffice.
I'd like to thank you for all of my questions answered BobbyRS and I will use the Edit function in the future. Thanks

Astronomy FTW.

Edit: Oh, and for the record, I haven't edited the firmware at all yet.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhysics View Post
When I say recognized, specifically I mean my laptop can read my ZVM when I connect it via USB w/dongle.
Well thats a very good sign. At least now you can use it. However, it may continue to have the same problems as before, deleting files and such. Especially since you said it didn't delete the wallpaper and it indicated there were still files on the hard drive. This concerns me. You may need to replace your hard drive.

Quote:
But it is working correctly right now, things should be fine, I assume, at least for the time being. What do you suggest I do due to the Format and Clean Up having left my wallpaper the same prior to the Format?
Monitor the storage space and see if it deletes files over time randomly. You may need to replace the hard drive.
Quote:
Edit: Oh, and for the record, I haven't edited the firmware at all yet.
You should do that.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was just trying to determine if it was recognized enough for you to be able to access it or not, but looking at your response, you said you have loaded a few files on it already; so good.

Quote:
My wallpaper still did show and when I did do the clean up after the reformat, it displayed, "Cleaning Disk", for about a minute, and then it would say "Finished", or somewhat equivalent, I don't remember.
Sounds good except for your wallpaper should have been gone after doing a Format or Cleanup.

Quote:
What I do remember is that there was not anything showing that was similar to n% complete.
Good! So, it's showing correctly now.

Quote:
But it is working correctly right now, things should be fine, I assume, at least for the time being.
That's good. So it is usable...

Quote:
What do you suggest I do due to the Format and Clean Up having left my wallpaper the same prior to the Format?
I would go a head a reload the firmware now.

Quote:
I'd like to thank you for all of my questions answered BobbyRS and I will use the Edit function in the future. Thanks
No problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Actually, before my ZVM crashed, I do remember some instances where a video would display having a duration of twice what it actually was. Is that a "normal bug" of ZVM or just a symptom of my ZVM about to crash?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Was it a video that already exited on the ZVM and you seen it have the correct duration at one point in time? I can see where the ZVM's database may become corrupted and begin misreading or miscalculating the duration of the files.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM

My ZV:M has always done this with certain files. All my family guy rips are like this. I suppose it's just the codec used to rip them or something. They're fine at first then when you go into them and come back out the length will be different to what it actually is. It doesn't bother me though, the only thing that happens is that the screen just stays black after the proper runtime of the video. BTW it has done this with 3 different hard drives so i doubt that it's a sign of the player going wrong.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it would be a reach. I can understand an encoding issue that could cause this (an not be related to a hardware issue), but one that showed the correct duration all the time and then begins showing the incorret duration would make me question the integrity of the database or firmware first.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sounds good except for your wallpaper should have been gone after doing a Format or Cleanup.
I'm sorry, but I was wrong. Apparently, when you set a custom wallpaper, this setting seems to be saved somewhere within the firmware on the separate drive partition set aside for the firmware (which doesn't get formatted) instead of on the data partition (basically the same as how the default themes seem to be saved) that actually gets formatted (which erases the users data files). So, it is normal for the ZVM to keep the custom wallpaper even after you do a Format.

Zen FAQ