android
Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Remove Zen entries from Explorer Shell

Hi, I installed everything for my Zen, but I don't know how to remove the entries that were added when I right click on a folder in explorer. help please.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello dapirod. Welcome. Besides uninstalling the Creative software, you can try unregistering the main shell DLL file. From the Zen FAQ:

I believe the Zen Media Explorer software relies on the CTConfig.dll file (Creative Shell Extension Helper):

(Start>Run)

Regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\Creative\ZEN Media Explorer\ctconfig.dll

Restart the computer

Zen FAQ

Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM

wont that also disable the Zen Media Explorer ? how will I be able to load songs on it then ? will I have to use another software like winamp? thanks for the help.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Most likely. You would probably be better off uninstalling the Zen Media Explorer altogether. The Zen V is an MTP device. As long as you have WMP10 or WMP11, you do not need any special software installed just for transporting your files. The Zen Media Explorer is integrated in the already existing Windows Explorer within Windows. You can still use Windows Explorer for drag-and-drop support if you like. The Zen should show as a Portable Device under My Computer. You can also still use syncing software like WMP, MediaMonkey, etc....

Zen FAQ

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok.... try this:

Make sure you backup (export) the key data in case you want to add it back later.

1. Open Regedit - Start -> Run -> type regedit -> OK
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
3. You should see CTWPDMediaExplorer
4. Right click on its entry and select Export to create a backup.reg file to import later if you want
5. After export, right click on the CTWPDMediaExplorer and select Delete -> Yes

The Creative Media Explorer enteries should now be removed from the right click context menu.

I tested this and it did remove the enteries without issue. I also tested adding them back with the exported .reg file and that too worked without issue.

Zen FAQ